User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I won't touch anything else from your post because we'll just be here all night, but this part struck me dumb. This just makes no sense to me and we must be listening to completely different albums. His work on Mirage and Go Insane couldn't be more different if he tried. I mean, c'mon, Johnny. It sounds like a natural progression to go from Oh Diane and Empire State to Play In the Rain and D.W. Suite? From Can't Go Back to Go Insane? Ho****.
I actually agree with Mr. Stew, I can pretty easily see the progression from Mirage to Go Insane. When you're listening for it and thinking about it, though, you have to realize that Mirage is somethign of a regression, as the rest of the band forced him to rein in his zanier impulses and take more of a Rumours approach to the songs.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I actually agree with Mr. Stew, I can pretty easily see the progression from Mirage to Go Insane. When you're listening for it and thinking about it, though, you have to realize that Mirage is somethign of a regression, as the rest of the band forced him to rein in his zanier impulses and take more of a Rumours approach to the songs.
I agree in the sense that it was a natural progression for him to go completely off-the-wall following the mediocrity the band forced him to record for Mirage, but I thought Stew meant a musical progression. If that's what he meant, I fail to see it.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I won't touch anything else from your post because we'll just be here all night, but this part struck me dumb. This just makes no sense to me and we must be listening to completely different albums. His work on Mirage and Go Insane couldn't be more different if he tried. I mean, c'mon, Johnny. It sounds like a natural progression to go from Oh Diane and Empire State to Play In the Rain and D.W. Suite? From Can't Go Back to Go Insane? Ho****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I actually agree with Mr. Stew, I can pretty easily see the progression from Mirage to Go Insane.
Thanks, Jyqm.

I definitely hear a natural progression from "Eyes Of The World" and "Empire State" (and even aspects of "Book Of Love") to the likes of "Go Insane," "Loving Cup," and "Slow Dancing."

Obviously some of his 'Mirage' tracks owe more to the 'Law And Order' approach than to the 'Go Insane' approach... but they all work together as a bridge between those two solo albums.

At least to my ears... and to Jyqm's!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
At least to my ears... and to Jyqm's!
Oh well, We never agree, this instance shouldn't be any different.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Oh well, We never agree, this instance shouldn't be any different.
Man, ain't that the truth!

Never think for a moment though, that I don't love every minute of debating with you.
You keep me on my toes (even if I think you couldn't be more wrong)!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Man, ain't that the truth!

Never think for a moment though, that I don't love every minute of debating with you.
You keep me on my toes (even if I think you couldn't be more wrong)!
I love to hear myself talk, so it's just a natural progression for me to type it all for you and I to read.

I think the only thing we've ever agreed on is that Michael is a fabulous song.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I love to hear myself talk....
See, we have more in common than one might think!

Quote:
I think the only thing we've ever agreed on is that Michael is a fabulous song.
Well, that's not really the "only" thing we agree on (sheesh, we can't even agree on what it is we agree on!).

That reminds me... I remember seeing your question the other day about whether or not I had bought the Franz CD yet, but I never got a chance to answer it.
Unfortunately I haven't gotten it yet... but I definitely intend to. I asked my 16 year old cousin if she owns it (hoping to bum it off of her for a few weeks), but I was told, "eww, no! I hate them."
So no luck there.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That reminds me... I remember seeing your question the other day about whether or not I had bought the Franz CD yet, but I never got a chance to answer it.
Unfortunately I haven't gotten it yet... but I definitely intend to. I asked my 16 year old cousin if she owns it (hoping to bum it off of her for a few weeks), but I was told, "eww, no! I hate them."
So no luck there.
Pffffffft, she's 16, I'm not surprised she has no taste.

I? Need to get commission checks from those assholes. My efforts alone will make their album go platinum.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Pffffffft, she's 16, I'm not surprised she has no taste.
She told me that a couple of her friends like them, but she just can't stand them. Her musical tastes aren't all bad... she listens to a lot of punk. But some of what she listens to, is crap to my ears (for instance, I can't stand singers who scream. And that's not because I'm old! I've always hated that).

Quote:
I? Need to get commission checks from those assholes. My efforts alone will make their album go platinum.
Unfortunately I think you'll see your commission checks from Franz Ferdinand, when I see mine from Fleetwood Mac!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll pay ya both to quit your arguin'
Old 02-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She told me that a couple of her friends like them, but she just can't stand them. Her musical tastes aren't all bad... she listens to a lot of punk. But some of what she listens to, is crap to my ears (for instance, I can't stand singers who scream. And that's not because I'm old! I've always hated that).
Well, I'm a rabid fan so I can't possibly be objective when it comes to the brilliance that is Franz Ferdinand. Lawd, I need a new album like I need food and water...

I can't stand that crap where the singers scream constantly. Makes my head hurt. And what they call "punk" these days is so not punk that I want to scream every time someone refers to it as such.

Quote:
Unfortunately I think you'll see your commission checks from Franz Ferdinand, when I see mine from Fleetwood Mac!
Seeing as how I will be stalking them when they hit the road this spring, I'll DEMAND payment for my services.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I'll pay ya both to quit your arguin'
Pay for my hotel (I don't share rooms, sorry, guys! ) and a new costume if I go to NOTS and you have a deal.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Pay for my hotel (I don't share rooms, sorry, guys! ) and a new costume if I go to NOTS and you have a deal.
Oh, sharing rooms would be fun for one night! After NOTS? we'd all be talky and stupid. But - if you don't share rooms you don't share rooms God, you sound like me. Are you sure you're not an only child? JK - on the few occasions when i get together with people for fun stuff, I like to be around them, cause usually i'm pretty solo in my real life.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Oh, sharing rooms would be fun for one night! After NOTS? we'd all be talky and stupid. But - if you don't share rooms you don't share rooms God, you sound like me. Are you sure you're not an only child? JK - on the few occasions when i get together with people for fun stuff, I like to be around them, cause usually i'm pretty solo in my real life.
Sorry, I don't want to share a room with secret sleep-farters or those who snore so loudly they sound like a Mack truck backing into a brick wall. And sharing a bathroom with three or four other people? No bloody way! And my clothes would take up half the space in the room. These are New York hotels, after all.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think we should share a room - we'd either be married by the end of the weekend or a la Thunderdome - two would enter and one would emerge

BTW - does this mean you will wear Stevie drag?