Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If one considers spontaneity to mean different setlists every night of a tour, then, no, Stevie Nicks is not spontaneous. She's also not going to be very spontaneous in what she wears.

However, Stevie has been in the past... though less so now... vocally spontaneous. One can attribute that to drugs, but she wasn't coked out when she first joined Fleetwood Mac, and yet she was already singing things differently from show to show.

Her lyric changes have also often seemed more like a product of the song evolving as she goes through life, than stemming from an inability to remember the lyrics (though she has stumbled from time to time over the years -- which I'm sure all performers have).

Very, very few performers are wholly spontaneous... their in-between songs banter is often the same night after night, with only mild ad-libbing (Cher had Bruce Vilanch write most of hers! Bette tells similar jokes at similar points during her shows, etc.), or their dance moves are tightly choreographed, or they wear certain outfits for certain songs, etc., etc.

Even Lindsey's more "spontaneous" actions on the 'Say You Will' tour were the same night after night. We all knew he was going to "tusk" John and shadow-box with Stevie, we all knew he'd swing his guitar cord around like a lasso, we knew he'd dry hump some imaginary lover at the start of "Stand Back," and that he'd go down to the edge of the stage and let the crowd strum his guitar during the end of "Go Your Own Way", etc., etc.
We even knew he'd give his well-rehearsed speech about being spontaneous!

But knowing what he'd do, didn't make it any less fun or exciting.

I think Stevie is still a captivating performer, whether I "know what she's going to do before she does it," or not.
Plus, most people who attend shows don't attend multiple shows on each tour, or haven't attended a show at every tour Stevie/FM has done since they became a fan... so for them, familiarity has not bred contempt.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
You are not supposed to be energetic in your fifties (nobody told Lindsey!)
I certainly hope you are being facetious. If not, why don't we all get put to sleep at 49 ? Age is an excuse. I have an 87 year old friend who rows 2 miles a night, does 4 miles on a stationary bike as well, and she gardens. With 2 artificial hips. The exception ? Perhaps. She decided a long time ago she didn't want to slow down, and that's that. I hope I have half that enegry at 60.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
I certainly hope you are being facetious. If not, why don't we all get put to sleep at 49 ? Age is an excuse. I have an 87 year old friend who rows 2 miles a night, does 4 miles on a stationary bike as well, and she gardens. With 2 artificial hips. The exception ? Perhaps. She decided a long time ago she didn't want to slow down, and that's that. I hope I have half that enegry at 60.

The "seniors" of today are not content to sit back and twiddle their thumbs anymore. New census reports show them migrating to the big cities (LA, Boston, New York, Chicago) and enjoying city life instead of going to places like Miami. It's changing the face of senior citizenship.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the concept of performer is open as the ocean, and is strongly influenced from person to person by culture, personal tastes, desires, etc.

For me a real, unforgettable musical performer is an artist who has the talent to amaze me with his/her vocal ability, that doesn't have to be linked necessary to a wide range, but definitely to the use of his/her voice and stage persona:
1) to let the audience feel through the music, in the strongest way, emotions, sensations, memories, thoughts, or the blissful absence of them (that's equally important );

2)to bring me out of my everyday's life for a while, and at the same time making me part of a strong sense of belonging.

I consider Stevie Nicks, now more than ever, such a performer.

Moreover, in this specific case, to be at one of her shows, would represent for me also, the chance to listen to one of the best songwriters around, but again, that's just my opinion.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 11-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
But... I wonder if there was a time, during the onset of menopause, when she had to learn to adapt to the way her body was changing. A period where perhaps she had to learn how to work around new aches and pains, etc.

You know what I mean?

I'm suggesting that perhaps we're seeing Stevie in a transitional phase, as she's learning how to pace herself and work around fatigue and physical limitations.
I've watched as my mother and my aunts... who have all been very physically active women... have been going through that very same thing for the past several years now.
And I know they've talked about how my grandmother slowed down for a period around their ages, but then after she got through it, there was no stopping her again.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It was my british sense of humour coming through once more, unfortunately it doesn't translate as well on paper, and translates even less well in American circles.. Sorry for my wit.

Golf was invented for this very reason... Many think it was a sport invented in St Andrews, Scotland as a game of skill.... Nah... No no no no nooooo... It was really invented because when football, hockey, basketball and other energetic sports become a little too frantic for the human body to endure anymore, the joints etc... Golf becomes a healthy exercise of body and mind at a more accomodating pace...

It's great that an 87 year old is doing such physical things.. Great to keep physically sharp in the advancing years but I doubt she'll be doing the hundred in less than 13 seconds anytime soon

I can't speak for you but I have no intention of being put down at 49, I also have no intention of playing football at running back at 49 either.. There are things you just don't do...

Old 11-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I think the concept of performer is open as the ocean, and is strongly influenced from person to person by culture, personal tastes, desires, etc.

For me a real, unforgettable musical performer is an artist who has the talent to amaze me with his/her vocal ability, that doesn't have to be linked necessary to a wide range, but definitely to the use of his/her voice and stage persona:
1) to let the audience feel through the music, in the strongest way, emotions, sensations, memories, thoughts, or the blissful absence of them (that's equally important );

2)to bring me out of my everyday's life for a while, and at the same time making me part of a strong sense of belonging.

I consider Stevie Nicks, now more than ever, such a performer.

Moreover, in this specific case, to be at one of her shows, would represent for me also, the chance to listen to one of the best songwriters around, but again, that's just my opinion.

Romy
Excellent post.... hear, hear, Romy!
Old 11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
I can't speak for you but I have no intention of being put down at 49, I also have no intention of playing football at running back at 49 either.. There are things you just don't do...
Not unless you want to be stiff and sore for five day afterwards, that is!
Old 11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Not unless you want to be stiff and sore for five day afterwards, that is!
You get that from being a running back at 29!!!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Yup, Stevie is a goddess and everyone else sucks.
Truer words were never spoken.

Stevie may not be "spontanious" but she certainly has a magic or an energy that can not be put into words. It seems like Dissention is not capable of saying anything positive about Stevie- but that's okay. I think Stevie is the greatest performer of all time (and I know I am not the only one who thinks that) and I thank God that she is still touring and making records. Not to mention the fact that she still puts on a killer show and writes beautiful music today. I've only seen Fleetwood Mac four times but every single show was amazing and each one was a different experience. Stevie rocks, plain and simple. Maybe I am a tad obsessed with her but better to be obsessed with Stevie Nicks then say... Eminem (like so many people my age today are!)

We were frail...
Save us...

Last edited by diamondsnake; 11-29-2004 at 11:10 PM..
Old 11-29-2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Amen!! Those shoes are incredibly hideous. I really have NO CLUE why she wears them. NONE. WHY STEVIE WHY?!!
I lost my ability to walk two years ago. Since, I have been working hard at physical therapy 2-3 times each week, relearning the nuances of balance and muscle control, etc. As such, I happen to notice people's gaits when they are walking...

On June 29th, I noticed that Miss Nicks has difficulty in getting around. I'm certain that drug abuse has done damage to her constitution. In fact, she walks not unlike my mother, a woman of the same age who has progressive multiple sclerosis. It amazes me that Stevie is able to get out and tour in the manner that she has.

When someone has trouble walking, they CANNOT wear just any shoes. The Reeboks are probably just the most comfortable and allow her to get around easiest; they are practical. Being able to wear attractive shoes and walk around well is, in my mind, a luxury. Whether one has to wear an orthopedic device while walking or plain athletic shoes while performing, it isn't much fun at all.

But that's just me...

-Justin
Old 11-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenbythesky
I lost my ability to walk two years ago. Since, I have been working hard at physical therapy 2-3 times each week, relearning the nuances of balance and muscle control, etc. As such, I happen to notice people's gaits when they are walking...

On June 29th, I noticed that Miss Nicks has difficulty in getting around. I'm certain that drug abuse has done damage to her constitution. In fact, she walks not unlike my mother, a woman of the same age who has progressive multiple sclerosis. It amazes me that Stevie is able to get out and tour in the manner that she has.

When someone has trouble walking, they CANNOT wear just any shoes. The Reeboks are probably just the most comfortable and allow her to get around easiest; they are practical. Being able to wear attractive shoes and walk around well is, in my mind, a luxury. Whether one has to wear an orthopedic device while walking or plain athletic shoes while performing, it isn't much fun at all.

But that's just me...

-Justin
Hello, thank you! I'm one of the few who does not give a rat's a** if stevie wears boks. The shoes are not the show, my friends...
Old 11-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Hello, thank you! I'm one of the few who does not give a rat's a** if stevie wears boks. The shoes are not the show, my friends...
The shoes are not the show, the whole package is the show. And I, personally, am not a huge fan of her current show. The shoes are laughable, the clothes border on parody, besides for a few songs she's rather immobile, sometimes she doesn't even look like she's enjoying herself, and most of the time she sings rather listlessly. She's clinging onto the same image and display that she's been putting on for the past thirty years and she just can't do it justice anymore. Like I said earlier, there are ways in which to change that and for her to get all the magic back. If she can't sing the high-energy songs, don't. Break out some old songs that never saw the light of day that don't require you to strain for notes; make the show more intimate instead attempting to make it bombastic and failing. Wear simpler outfits and concentrate less on appearance and more on making a show special and not hurting your hip. She doesn't have to spin in circles or do high kicks, she needs to concentrate on the thing sthat make her great: the songs. Make everything else take a backseat. If you can't be like you used to be, don't try to be. Change stuff around and make it fresher. Who among us would be mightily disappointed to hear her do an acoustic version of Crystal instead of another boring retread of Dreams? Or how about hauling out Storms and singing it with nice harmonies from Lindsey instead of Don't Stop? Inject some vitality into it.

Old 11-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Preach it!

Quote:
Change stuff around and make it fresher. Who among us would be mightily disappointed to hear her do an acoustic version of Crystal instead of another boring retread of Dreams? Or how about hauling out Storms and singing it with nice harmonies from Lindsey instead of Don't Stop? Inject some vitality into it.
Amen and amen! I'd kill to see her do Storms! Crystal...not so much, as I didn't like the Practical Magic version. Leave that song to Lindsey, thankyaverymuch.

I would love for them to have an acoustic part in their set anyways.

Oh, and Lindsey, please bring back Go Insane and drop Big Love.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
The shoes are not the show, the whole package is the show. And I, personally, am not a huge fan of her current show. The shoes are laughable, the clothes border on parody, besides for a few songs she's rather immobile, sometimes she doesn't even look like she's enjoying herself, and most of the time she sings rather listlessly. She's clinging onto the same image and display that she's been putting on for the past thirty years and she just can't do it justice anymore. Like I said earlier, there are ways in which to change that and for her to get all the magic back. If she can't sing the high-energy songs, don't. Break out some old songs that never saw the light of day that don't require you to strain for notes; make the show more intimate instead attempting to make it bombastic and failing. Wear simpler outfits and concentrate less on appearance and more on making a show special and not hurting your hip. She doesn't have to spin in circles or do high kicks, she needs to concentrate on the thing sthat make her great: the songs. Make everything else take a backseat. If you can't be like you used to be, don't try to be. Change stuff around and make it fresher. Who among us would be mightily disappointed to hear her do an acoustic version of Crystal instead of another boring retread of Dreams? Or how about hauling out Storms and singing it with nice harmonies from Lindsey instead of Don't Stop? Inject some vitality into it.
mreow! hisss!! *spit*...