User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The sky isn't falling. It just makes me take him less seriously. Billy Burnette is "generic" yet Lindsey has no problem with doing a duet with an American Idol winner on national television?

See, my new favorite artist was actually offered a contract with Warner Bros. They wanted to screw with the sound of his work. He all but told them to f*ck off and signed with another label. No, he hasn't sold millions of albums and doesn't have a huge home in Hollywood, but he has a career that he can be proud of, and still has fans like Eddie Vedder, Peter Buck, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Conan O'Brian, and Michael Imperioli (Sopranoes). He'd hang up on the person calling to suggest this, maybe even tell that person to get f*cked, which is EXACTLY what Lindsey would have done in his day.
yeah, but Pollard didn't sell more then 20 million albums for the same label before. It's an irrelevant comparison. That guy has always been an independant. With Tusk, Lindsey did the biggest F*ck you to the industry in rock history. And they wanted UTS to be a more rocking album and he just did what he wanted. Don't lose reality here, Steve. I hate this move too, but let's keep perspective.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yes, burnette is generic. Lindsey isn't by selling out once or twice. Come on his last album isn't generic. Play the youtube version of Shut Us Down on Ellen and edit your post.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
yeah, but Pollard didn't sell more then 20 million albums for the same label before. It's an irrelevant comparison. That guy has always been an independant. With Tusk, Lindsey did the biggest F*ck you to the industry in rock history. And they wanted UTS to be a more rocking album and he just did what he wanted. Don't lose reality here, Steve. I hate this move too, but let's keep perspective.
Maybe that's part of the problem. My perspective has changed a bit over the years. I'd almost agree, but the whole point is about artistic merit. My line over the last few years is that Lindsey is trying to convince the world that he's Joni Mitchell with a penis. Lindsey has used the verbage of independent/artistic, but his record indicates otherwise.

Pollard, truth be told, has probably not even sold half a million albums throughout his career. The point is that he very easily COULD have. He had the right people in his corner, he was openly offered a contract with WB. He chose to be an independent. He chose to not whore himself out to sell a few million records. He actually is doing the types of things Lindsey says that he'd like to do. In some ways it hurt his career (as did his age), but he's had one of the most prolific careers out there.

And, I'm going to be fair to Fleetwood Mac on the artistic point. When Lindsey and Stevie joined Fleetwood Mac, it was a crapshoot either way. But it worked out. "Rumours" has the saving grace of being an honest album. And "Tusk" was the big artistic "f*ck you record industry" album. Lindsey says that "Tusk" is his favorite Fleetwood Mac album, AS IT SHOULD BE.

The fact that Lindsey has more money than he can spend in a lifetime, and his kids are set to go, makes this move all the more curious, IMO. Because, as far as I'm concerned, this makes him as much of a money whore as Mick Fleetwood. The ONLY reason he could be doing something this insanely cheesey is that he thinks it will either sell more albums and/or put butts in the seats.

("Alien Lanes" has become perhaps my favorite. They got an advance of $100K to make the album. It cost them $10, which includes the beer and cassette tape, to make. Bob paid off his house, and split the rest with his band.)

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 09-04-2007 at 06:56 PM..
Old 09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes, burnette is generic. Lindsey isn't by selling out once or twice. Come on his last album isn't generic. Play the youtube version of Shut Us Down on Ellen and edit your post.
Don't need to youtube. I saw when it aired. It was good. I can't say the Earth stood still, but I thought it was really good.

Lindsey is great, but is afraid to get out of his comfort zone. I never need to hear "I'm So Afraid" ever again. Ever. (I'd say "Go Your Own Way" but I'll be realistic.) The fact that people were just blown away in Cincinnati because Lindsey played "Bwana" told me just about all I needed to know. Album sales aside, how is it guys like Pollard think nothing of doing the weird **** (and Pollard's got a LOT of weird ****...I've got over 50 releases, five videos, a book, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting, and still am in beginner mode), but it totally freaks these guys out? What does he know that they don't? Lindsey's got the chops, and as at a point in his career where the hit days over. What does he have to lose? His fans won't hate him if he screws a song up live. Lindsey and Fleetwood Mac have no sense of adventure. I can't believe that he thinks doing weird ****, even badly, would hurt his credibility any more than doing this.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Ledgie

I went up to the convenience store today wearing my t-shirt from the "Under the Skin" tour. The line was long and the woman behind me asked who Lindsey Buckingham was, she'd never heard of HER. I told her Lindsey is a "he" and who he was. Why would Lindsey do this Carrie Underwood thing? Why would he do the Little Big Town thing? Why did he play "Here Comes the Sun" on New Year's Eve 2002? Geez, give THE GUY some recognition. NOBODY knows him.

What does he know that they don't? Lindsey's got the chops, and as at a point in his career where the hit days over. What does he have to lose? His fans won't hate him if he screws a song up live. Lindsey and Fleetwood Mac have no sense of adventure. I can't believe that he thinks doing weird ****, even badly, would hurt his credibility any more than doing this.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
let's keep perspective.
This made me LOL.

I like chocolate milk on occassion. Perhaps Carrie is Lindsey's flavor for the night? The 7th can not come soon enough for me! Would really rock if she would wear Lindsey's GYOW shirt on shred.

Rumours II? I listen to FM. I am not over the sum of its parts. You can't put past/present band members together and probably not create something *magical* I also enjoy what Lindsey and Stevie are doing solo right now. But, what about the others? Should FM decide to put something together, I will be there...as always.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I'd almost agree, but the whole point is about artistic merit. My line over the last few years is that Lindsey is trying to convince the world that he's Joni Mitchell with a penis. Lindsey has used the verbage of independent/artistic, but his record indicates otherwise.
I like statements and this one goes in the books dude. I see what you mean, but I must say that if that was true, UTS wouldn't have been an album that flows over with productionweirdness that kills every Joniism that was there initially. Always when he has a clear direction he searches for a contradicting addition. And at least I love that. AND I think that's artistic value too.

Quote:
And, I'm going to be fair to Fleetwood Mac on the artistic point. When Lindsey and Stevie joined Fleetwood Mac, it was a crapshoot either way. But it worked out. "Rumours" has the saving grace of being an honest album. And "Tusk" was the big artistic "f*ck you record industry" album. Lindsey says that "Tusk" is his favorite Fleetwood Mac album, AS IT SHOULD BE.
My words.

Quote:
Because, as far as I'm concerned, this makes him as much of a money whore as Mick Fleetwood. The ONLY reason he could be doing something this insanely cheesey is that he thinks it will either sell more albums and/or put butts in the seats.
I seriously think you're wrong here. But 90 percent of the world would agree with you and that's why I'm not happy with it. It will be seen as a sell out. And that's what's wrong with it. I really think it's a move he makes for recognition and being seen. No money or ticketsales involved as main goal. Would be stupid too. Maybe he IS doing it for WB, so he can go his own way AGAIN for the upcoming album: "I do this **** if I keep artistic freedom."

Pollard can conquer them from outside, Lindsey has to do it from inside out. At least that's what he chose to do by not signing with an independent label. Maybe dumb, but after his stubborn behaviour around UTS, I respect that decision.

Ah...refreshing discussion, Steve, hang on!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I can't wait to see Lindsey perform!!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But 90 percent of the world would agree with you and that's why I'm not happy with it. It will be seen as a sell out. And that's what's wrong with it. I really think it's a move he makes for recognition and being seen. No money or ticketsales involved as main goal. Would be stupid too. Maybe he IS doing it for WB, so he can go his own way AGAIN for the upcoming album: "I do this **** if I keep artistic freedom."
But it's Lindsey. 90 percent of the world won't notice. They would have by now, seriously.

Sorry, but I had to say it.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

omg maybe he is in love with Carrie!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm looking foward to seeing the performance. I also think it's a smart move since Lindsey's putting out a new album. Why NOT capitolize on the exposure to a whole new generation? The song is certainly relevent today; it's one of the best breaking up songs out there.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The song is certainly relevent today; it's one of the best breaking up songs out there.
It's not JUST break-up song. It's also a love song: "Loving you ISN'T the right thing to do. . ."

...and it's the greatest song of all time!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
It's not JUST break-up song. It's also a love song: "Loving you ISN'T the right thing to do. . ."

...and it's the greatest song of all time!
true dat

I just hope that SHE doesn't ruin the song for me...Its not that I dont like her at all, just shes more country, and Im not really a big country fan.

I think as long as they keep it similar to what Linds has been doing this past tour, It will be fine
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
omg maybe he is in love with Carrie!
LAMO
Old 09-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
true dat

I just hope that SHE doesn't ruin the song for me...Its not that I dont like her at all, just shes more country, and Im not really a big country fan.

I think as long as they keep it similar to what Linds has been doing this past tour, It will be fine
Well, I haven't heard a cover of "Go Your Own Way" that I've liked -- yet none have RUINED the song for me. Most importantly, this is the first time of which I'm aware that Lindsey is taking part. . . so I'm VERY intrigued. Will it be a conservative cover or will he do something interesting with Carrie. . . I don't know. I'm excited. Can't wait for tomorrow. No drinking after work.

That said: I also think he and Carrie and Alicia Keys (hubbahubba) should do "Don't Stop" as well!