Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
You sure the folks with the emotional maturity issues aren't the ones who get all flustered at the thought some person on an Internet message board saying something negative about a singer they don't even know?

for Johnny the dream has just begun, everytime that he walks in the room, and johnny says, "sara" and then he stares at the stairs, and he says, please braid my golden hair"

wow i'm crazy today....
Old 11-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
i don't even like Christine and Stevie, i just know that's where all the gays hangout!!! hahahahahaha
Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm, if I were doing Beatle/Mac comparisons:

Christine=Paul. Both had the great pop tunes. I could EASILY hear Christine do "Hello, Goodbye."

Lindsey=John. Both had the political/social bent in their music.

Stevie=George. Both had metaphysical themes in their music.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD

Christine=Paul. Both had the great pop tunes. I could EASILY hear Christine do "Hello, Goodbye."

RIGHT ON! That is exactly the way I would compare them...
Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:

man are you reaching on this one
Old 11-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
You sure the folks with the emotional maturity issues aren't the ones who get all flustered at the thought some person on an Internet message board saying something negative about a singer they don't even know?
That sounds like textbook bully mentality.
"We'll ridicule you and laugh at you, and if you don't say anything in your defense, that gives us a free ticket to just continue doing it. But if you do say anything about it, we'll then throw it back in your face and make it sound like you're being too sensitive, and therefore deserve to be badgered and bullied."

Personally, I would have thought we all left behind the days of "bullies" picking on the "weak kids" back when we each graduated from high school.
So why don't we try to be considerate and respectful, even when it comes to the feelings of "some person on an internet message board"?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I can see the Christine and Paul thing but I'm not so sure about the others. They do seem far reaching.

I actually started a thread about this in the Rumours forum once and very few people responded. I started thinking that people just didn't think the Beatles were worth comparing to FM or vice versa.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
That sounds like textbook bully mentality.
"We'll ridicule you and laugh at you, and if you don't say anything in your defense, that gives us a free ticket to just continue doing it.
1) This conflation of yourself with Stevie is a little disturbing.

2) That sounds like textbook crybaby mentality. Do you think that bullies continue to pick on people who don't react to them? I very rarely got picked on in grade school because - gasp! - I ignored anybody who did. So the kids who thought they were hot **** very quickly got bored with me. If various chiffonheads didn't get so hot and bothered over any slightly negative comment made about their mystical mistress ("I'm going to write a mean letter to this website because they said Stevie was a jerk!!!!!"), those who make comments just to get a rise out of them very likely would stop doing so.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden

I actually started a thread about this in the Rumours forum once and very few people responded. I started thinking that people just didn't think the Beatles were worth comparing to FM or vice versa.
I actually like things like that. you should find that thread and bump it up Hill.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

1) It's apparent that you totally missed my point. I was not commenting on criticisms made towards Stevie, but rather the frequent condescending insults lobbed at Stevie's fans ("chiffonheads," "mindless lemmings," "~*~Wyndchildren~*~," etc.) for being exactly that.... fans.

Some of the stuff said about Stevie would be funny (I do have a sense of humour about her, believe it or not), if it wasn't so often made personal with direct insults to the intelligence and/or emotional stability of her fans... you know, the very real people who post here and who have feelings.
That's when it stops being "fun," and simply becomes immature.

2) Bullies do continue to pick on people who don't react to them. I lived through eight years of harrassment, tauntings and verbal and physical violence in school, and I never once let them see me get upset, or cry, or get angry. In fact, I never let them see me react in any way at all, but that certainly didn't stop their behavior and probably only made it worse, because I didn't stand up for myself.

I'm standing up for others now, and folks can say whatever they want about me... I've been called worse than anything someone here could come up with... but they need to quit making the taunts and insults personal regarding Stevie's fans.
Behind those faceless screennames, they are human beings and deserve to be treated with respect.

It really shouldn't be too much to ask of adults.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
but they need to quit making the taunts and insults personal regarding Stevie's fans.
I understand you have good intentions and that is sweet! And I still do <3 you!

But let us not forget that this thread was started by me in the Christine board. I didn't invite Stevie fans over to come and bash Chris and/or her album sales. This thread was based on an honest question...and was skewed into something ridiculous. So lets not make this all about "the greatness of Stevie". We have every right to defend Chris in the Chris forum, especially when she is being attacked!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'm not going to get into all this other stuff in this thread. This is the Christine McVie forum afterall. But, I love to talk about a Beatles/Fleetwood Mac connection. I would partially agree with the Chris/Paul comparison, musically at least. But, I'd compare her to George more on a personal basis. They were both classy, private people with very little ego. Both got kind of left in the background by other band members, unfortunately. They also happen to be my two favorite musicians ever. I LOVE, LOVE their music & I greatly respect both of them as people.

I do think there is a comparison between Lindsey & John. I would describe Lindsey as a poor man's John Lennon. But, please, please...there should never be any comparison between George Harrison & Stevie Nicks.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:09 AM
strandinthewind
This message has been deleted by strandinthewind.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Ever get in a argument about the better Beatle? Oh my...also dangerous territory.
No, but I have discussed air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow - both African or European swallows

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

2) That sounds like textbook crybaby mentality. Do you think that bullies continue to pick on people who don't react to them? I very rarely got picked on in grade school because - gasp! - I ignored anybody who did. So the kids who thought they were hot **** very quickly got bored with me. If various chiffonheads didn't get so hot and bothered over any slightly negative comment made about their mystical mistress ("I'm going to write a mean letter to this website because they said Stevie was a jerk!!!!!"), those who make comments just to get a rise out of them very likely would stop doing so.
We are not all that strong and/or nonchalant about others' words, etc. There's a way to be funny without being thoroughly condescending, as Johnny Stew was saying. I think he has some really good points.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I'm not going to get into all this other stuff in this thread. This is the Christine McVie forum afterall. But, I love to talk about a Beatles/Fleetwood Mac connection. I would partially agree with the Chris/Paul comparison, musically at least. But, I'd compare her to George more on a personal basis. They were both classy, private people with very little ego. Both got kind of left in the background by other band members, unfortunately. They also happen to be my two favorite musicians ever. I LOVE, LOVE their music & I greatly respect both of them as people.

I do think there is a comparison between Lindsey & John. I would describe Lindsey as a poor man's John Lennon. But, please, please...there should never be any comparison between George Harrison & Stevie Nicks.
I can now see the Christine/George thing since you've said that.

But, aw, let us acknowledge the Stevie and George thing, too! They both do tackle those spiritual/mystical issues in their music. I can't help but look at that. Okay, you don't have to recognize it. I know you don't really like her and you love him.

I just think Lindsey and John are so different that I hate to seriously compare them.