User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Question Rumours (band)

Does anyone know how tribute bands work? I know many famous groups have a tribute band out there touring and making money. However the Rumours band seems almost to be a corporation. They are all over the place. There is a Rumours band booked and playing on a big Norwegian Cruise Ship, a Rumours band in the UK, another Rumours band touring the states, etc. Does anyone know how many of them exist? I heard a radio announcement promoting them coming to my town. The announcement said that the band is blessed or sanctioned by Mick Fleetwood. Is Mick making money off all these bands? Are other members of Fleetwood Mac also making money off them?

The Rumours band on the cruise ship does not play various hits from the band. They play the entire Rumours album front to back and insert Silver Springs in the set. I've seen videos of them and they are really good. There are lots of tribute bands but I have never seen so many tribute bands all with the same name. For example there is another Fleetwood Mac tribute band called Tusk. They are also very good. But this Rumours band seems to be a corporation and with Mick's name being thrown around makes me wonder that he is profiting from them. They all have the same name. Does a typical tribute band have to pay the original band?
Old 02-01-2024, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In Dallas I saw an AC/DC tribute band at a bar and I enjoyed a lot. Entrance was not expensive for the show they offered. The band played excellent. My personal opinion is that exactly why I expected from a tribute band and what I am willing to pay.

"Rumours of Fleetwood Mac" came to Peru in 2019. Tickets costed around $120. Not expensive for today prices, but I wasn't enough excited to see a tribute band for that price. And being a huge fan, I'd be comparing too much this band with the real one, so I doubted I would enjoy it enough.

The announce said "Personally endorsed by Fleetwood Mac founding member Mick Fleetwood" and actually Mick appeared in a video inviting people to go to this concert. He mentioned Peru so the ad was specifically for this venue. And knowing Mick's background and interests, is highly likely that he received some benefit from these shows.

BTW, chechick the setlist of that concert they did play hits from different albums.

Last edited by Villavic; 02-01-2024 at 07:59 AM..
Old 02-01-2024, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think there are quite a few. My favorite is Rumours ATL. It's mainly the Stevie Nicks show, because "Mackenzie" IS Stevie. I've seen them probably 7 times. They pissed off the club owner where I worked for years(by refusing to take a break in the middle of their set), so he found a different FM band(I'm not sure which one).
I'll be on that Norwegian ship in 3 weeks, and I'm trying to get reservations for the Rumours night(I think it only happens one night).
Old 02-01-2024, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'Rumours of FM' came to my neck of the woods a few years ago.

Tickets - I thought - were pricey for a tribute band (about $50) but I went anyways, and the venue was actually packed.

Yes, definitely endorsed by Mick (there was a welcome video as mentioned) and apart from song performance royalties, I assume he gets a cut of ticket sales - not to mention from merch (yes there was actually a merch booth for a tribute band!), and the 'VIP package'. One can pay to sit in on their rehearsal and do a meet-and-great (yeah really, of a tribute band!)
Old 02-01-2024, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post

Tickets - I thought - were pricey for a tribute band (about $50) but I went anyways, and the venue was actually packed.

Yes, definitely endorsed by Mick (there was a welcome video as mentioned) and apart from song performance royalties, I assume he gets a cut of ticket sales - not to mention from merch (yes there was actually a merch booth for a tribute band!), and the 'VIP package'. One can pay to sit in on their rehearsal and do a meet-and-great (yeah really, of a tribute band!)
Dear Lord, Mick is going to start showing up at their meet and greets for money.

The band Tusk appeared at a theater in my home town. I thought the tickets were pricey too $45 for the cheapest seats. The Rumours band is probably officially licensed by Mick. Its really probably making some good money for him since I doubt Stevie or Lindsey really care about petty cash a cover band makes performing their songs. In some weird way since Mick was not a writer of these songs he would make the least or none at all. Hes fortunate enough that he is broke as hell and the 2 surviving writers in the band dont give AF about small change.
Gosh would you not want to know what percentage he gets. Lindsey and Stevie should join together and sue Mick for the proceeds. But maybe they do get something? Is Tusk a rogue cover band or do they also have to pay to perform Mac songs?
I demand answers!
Old 02-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post

Holy crap. I think the times I've paid to see Rumours ATL, it was $10-12.

I tell you, this "Mackenzie" of Rumours ATL, SHE HAS A FOLLOWING. People love her, I guess because she really seems to own it, "being Stevie".
Old 02-01-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Holy crap. I think the times I've paid to see Rumours ATL, it was $10-12.

I tell you, this "Mackenzie" of Rumours ATL, SHE HAS A FOLLOWING. People love her, I guess because she really seems to own it, "being Stevie".
She does it better than you!
Old 02-01-2024, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She does it better than you!
Hey biotch, my Chiffon is in the shop, getting expanded, just like $tevie's!!!
Old 02-01-2024, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
In Dallas I saw an AC/DC tribute band at a bar and I enjoyed a lot. Entrance was not expensive for the show they offered. The band played excellent. My personal opinion is that exactly why I expected from a tribute band and what I am willing to pay.

"Rumours of Fleetwood Mac" came to Peru in 2019. Tickets costed around $120. Not expensive for today prices, but I wasn't enough excited to see a tribute band for that price. And being a huge fan, I'd be comparing too much this band with the real one, so I doubted I would enjoy it enough.

The announce said "Personally endorsed by Fleetwood Mac founding member Mick Fleetwood" and actually Mick appeared in a video inviting people to go to this concert. He mentioned Peru so the ad was specifically for this venue. And knowing Mick's background and interests, is highly likely that he received some benefit from these shows.

BTW, chechick the setlist of that concert they did play hits from different albums.
I want to say that was the band that was on the sign playing at his restaurant in Maui when we went there before COVID. I remember being rather shocked that he would have a FM cover band / tribute band playing in HIS restaurant, but then it's Mick.... I will have to go back and check our pics because I think I took a photo of the sign because I thought it was so odd
Old 02-02-2024, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Is Mick making money off all these bands? Are other members of Fleetwood Mac also making money off them?

Does a typical tribute band have to pay the original band?
Mick clearly has a business interest in Rumours of Fleetwood Mac or he wouldn't be actively endorsing and promoting them.
My take on it (and I could be wrong) is that he (or his business partners) saw the existing market for tribute acts and decided to launch their own.

I imagine that if the tribute band is making significant income then they are more likely to be subject to enforcement of the original artists' rights, such as various music royalties and trademark licensing.

I would go see Rumours of Fleetwood Mac if they came to my area -- the performance of Sara on YouTube really captures the vibe of the album track.

There's a Rumours show on a cruise?? Maybe another visit stateside is in order... Do tell us about your experience on the cruise when you get back, David.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Mick clearly has a business interest in Rumours of Fleetwood Mac or he wouldn't be actively endorsing and promoting them.
My take on it (and I could be wrong) is that he (or his business partners) saw the existing market for tribute acts and decided to launch their own.

I imagine that if the tribute band is making significant income then they are more likely to be subject to enforcement of the original artists' rights, such as various music royalties and trademark licensing.

I would go see Rumours of Fleetwood Mac if they came to my area -- the performance of Sara on YouTube really captures the vibe of the album track.

There's a Rumours show on a cruise?? Maybe another visit stateside is in order... Do tell us about your experience on the cruise when you get back, David.
I'm a virgin cruiser, and can't seem to find the exact entertainment itinerary for mine (even though I'm 3 weeks out), but people have been posting the "day sheets" of the past few cruises, and there's always been one Rumours night listed. But only one. I'm hoping it isn't sold out.

Because I'm hoping they do Silver Girl...
Old 02-02-2024, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a virgin cruiser, and can't seem to find the exact entertainment itinerary for mine (even though I'm 3 weeks out), but people have been posting the "day sheets" of the past few cruises, and there's always been one Rumours night listed. But only one. I'm hoping it isn't sold out.

Because I'm hoping they do Silver Girl...
The band Rumours has a big contract to perform on the NCL Viva. There are lines an hour before the show to get in. The reviews are good. They do the Rumours album and tell the story of the band. the other Rumours band play all the songs and hits but the cruise ship band only sticks to Rumours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GT6mrY7rI

Edit:
It appears Rumours performs on multiple NCL ships which means there are more of them than I first thought. This is from the NCL Breakaway and they also perform on the NCL Prima. That's quite a contract.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSSnN1ha5o4

I Dont Want To Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVI7yNWwFi8

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-02-2024 at 05:54 AM..
Old 02-02-2024, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the UK there are 3 bands I’m aware of:
Rumours of Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Bac
Fleetingwood Mac

The two main ones are Rumours of Fleetwood Mac and Fleetwood Bac. I think they must liaise with each other as when one band is touring the UK the other is on a break or touring abroad. Both are great in their own ways. I’ve not seen Fleetingwood Mac; they’re a newer, up and coming tribute act.

Rumours of Fleetwood Mac are interesting as they have 7 members and incorporate a Peter Green era set. They are good. They play the Mick endorsement. It never occurred to me he gets a cut. I don’t think he does. Think it’s quite an old clip and he was just pleased there was a tribute band out there, particularly considering they also play blues songs. Rick Vito often plays with them. A bit sad he resorts to that really.
I prefer Fleetwood Bac. They really are a close approximation to the Rumours band. And their ‘Christine’ is great!!!!!

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-02-2024, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
They play the Mick endorsement. It never occurred to me he gets a cut. I don’t think he does.
Oh now, COME ON! Mick doesn't do ANYTHING for free.

I've been waiting 3 hours for my cruise consultant to call me back, and answer some of these questions(like can I make a reservation for Rumours?).
Old 02-02-2024, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh now, COME ON! Mick doesn't do ANYTHING for free.

I've been waiting 3 hours for my cruise consultant to call me back, and answer some of these questions(like can I make a reservation for Rumours?).
Enjoy your cruise. Where does it go to?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood