Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default From the Beginning 1968-1970

Two live recordings featuring Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac have been found and are being released officially on CD and vinyl as Before The Beginning 1968-1970.

The recently discovered recordings date from 1968 and 1970 and were discovered unlabelled in the US, so not much is known about them other than they have been authenticated by experts and approved for release by Fleetwood Mac.

These live performances almost bookend Peter Green’s tenure with the band as the 1968 recording represents the band in their early stages while the 1970 recording will, in contrast, be one of their final shows before Peter left the band. The earlier set contains early incarnations of ‘Madison Blues’ and ‘I Need Your Love So Bad’ from the blues era and the likes of ‘Long Tall Sally’ and ‘Willie And The Hand Jive’. The 1970 performance includes ‘Oh Well’, ‘Green Manalishi’ and the UK number one ‘Albatros’.

Before The Beginning 1968-1970 is being issued as a three-CD set containing all the live recordings and four previously unreleased demos. The images suggest that this comes packaged in what looks like a seven-inch book format.

In terms of vinyl, this content is being split into two volumes. ‘Volume One’ is a 3LP set that features the 1968 live recording and will be issued in June with the triple CD package. A second volume with the 1970 live recording (and the demos) will be released at a later date.

Before The Beginning 1968-1970: Rare Live and Demo Sessions will be released on 7 June 2019, via Sony CMG.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...demo-sessions/
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

. . . aaaaahh, yes - keep it coming! i only hope that the sound quality doesn't leave too much to be desired. and too bad there are no recording details provided - so professional and amateur mac detectives should get to work . . .
Old 04-04-2019, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
i only hope that the sound quality doesn't leave too much to be desired.
i just listened to a short soundbite of "albatross" on amazon, and if this one's indicative for the remainder of the 3 cds, then we're in for an enjoyable release!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Looks good to me. I wonder if the “demos” are from the BBC recordings.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

. . . and there's more in the pipeline:

https://www.clear-spot.nl/item/47638...ions_1968.html

somewhere i read that this release would comprise only previously unreleased material - hmmm . . . well, as long as i can't have a listen to it, i'll be cautious.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Aside from the fact that it's one of Peter's superb, haunting compositions, I wonder why the decision to title the set that way?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 AM
Ledgie

Probably because most people perceive the start of the band as the 1975 eponymous record, this is before what people see as the beginning. They don't actually know the brilliance that came beforehand or, mostly, they just don't care because it's not what was fed to them through the radio waves.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default source secret probably revealed

. . . obviously the 1968 and 1970 concerts are carousel ballroom and n.o. warehouse respectively. all this and further interesting discussion can be read here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ssions.826586/
Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default release date confusion

does anybody know more about the actual release date of this set? according to some sources it's june 7th, whereas amazon states that it won't be out before october 18th.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Some people have been speculating this set is the ‘68 Carousel Ballroom and one of the 1970 shows at the Warehouse in New Orleans. Plus, four BBC tracks. Although, there are a lot of mislabeled tracks in that original press release. So maybe they’re getting everything organized with some quality control for an October release.

Homework throws me off. Some are speculating that song and two others are from that French TV show.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:09 AM
Ledgie

While we are waiting for this to be released -
anyone heard the recent CD https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Ma...lease/14053578 ?
Sound quality?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
While we are waiting for this to be released - (...)
. . . and we'll have to wait some more: release date has just been postponed until november 15. i'm afraid all these delays are not too good a sign . . .
Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default review in mojo magazine

mark blake gives 3 stars (out of 5) in his review on this cd set in the october edition of "mojo" - albeit without any real enlightenment in terms of music and recording quality.

he remarks the lack of official info concerning where the recordings were made, comments "the 1970 live show drags" and finally closes with the words "approach with caution." . . . hhmmmm. all he writes is rather vague, so one gets the impression that he actually might not have heard the set at all yet.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
Some people have been speculating this set is the ‘68 Carousel Ballroom and one of the 1970 shows at the Warehouse in New Orleans.
i just listened to another snatch from the album, the opening track "madison blues (version 1)" - which seems to actually confirm two assumptions:

i couldn't compare it back to back with my carousel copy, but i could swear it's from THAT frisco dates.

furthermore i have my doubts that we can expect substantially enhanced sound quality in comparison to the already available sources. there's evidence that this official release displays the same strange (all too sudden) changes in the stereo panning of the carousel recordings we're already familiar with. and whoever's responsible for it probably wasn't tinkering too much with the frequency range.

at least i personally have lowered my expectations significantly - or to quote mojo's mark blake once again: "approach with caution"!
Old 11-15-2019, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

. . . so things are pretty clear now at last - 68 carousel with butterfield, 70 warehouse, 68 "surprise partie" (french tv) and bbc sessions (the latter running at wrong - too slow - speed, just like the old bootlegs). and there don't seem to be any sound improvements AT ALL.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Before-Begi...s%2C207&sr=8-2

VERY disappointing!

Last edited by lazy poker; 11-15-2019 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: error correction