Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tusk tour appearance question

During the Tusk tour, we mainly saw Lindsey in either the grey suit with a black tee, jeans with a white shirt and cowboy hat, and white suit with black tee or black suit with black tee. Hairwise, Stevie had the Tusk bun, poodle frizz, or braids, sometimes up, sometimes down. I was wondering, did their looks change for each show throughout the tour or was it more, say, grey suit at the beginning, cowboy hat at the end, etc? There are some pics of Stevie that are clearly 1980 rather than 1979 (actually, it surprises me just how much her looks changed in that one year, although I can't put my finger on just what it was that made her look so different), but in some of them she has the GYOW hat on, so I can't see her hair.

Any one know?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting question.

I have no idea. Perhaps Lindsey's and Stevie's attire/looks changed between the several legs of the Tusk tour.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/pos...ures-right-are
Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOfTheDragon View Post
The funny thing is, it was actually this site that made me ask the question!
Old 05-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
During the Tusk tour, we mainly saw Lindsey in either the grey suit with a black tee, jeans with a white shirt and cowboy hat, and white suit with black tee or black suit with black tee. Hairwise, Stevie had the Tusk bun, poodle frizz, or braids, sometimes up, sometimes down. I was wondering, did their looks change for each show throughout the tour or was it more, say, grey suit at the beginning, cowboy hat at the end, etc? There are some pics of Stevie that are clearly 1980 rather than 1979 (actually, it surprises me just how much her looks changed in that one year, although I can't put my finger on just what it was that made her look so different), but in some of them she has the GYOW hat on, so I can't see her hair.

Any one know?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Lindsey's Camp Beverly Hills T-shirt and jeans were only worn at the last two shows (Los Angeles). So call that "costume" a one-up, if you will, not regular tour attire.

By the end of the tour, Stevie's hair had different "body" to it. It didn't look like a poodle; it looked like a permanent permanent. The curls were softer, more like ringlets. See the photos of her at the Bowl, backstage at the Bowl with Bonnie Raitt, or a month later at the USC-Arizona State football game. From tour start to tour finish, Christine seemed to put more and more makeup on. By September, she had almost as much makeup as she wore on the 1982 tour. She also wore clothes—big capes and robes—that Margi designed. It was like having two Stevie Nicks witches onstage during numbers like "World Turning" and "Sara."

Better than all of that, of course, was that by August and September 1980, the band's musicianship—its collective ability to be in the pocket and sustain it for two hours—was the best it has ever been. Today's performances are a pale shadow: the bombast fools people into thinking that there's something special instrumentally going on, but there is not. Mick, for example, is often being led by Lindsey, Brett, and John in a way he never would have allowed or required in 1980. Perceptive critics called him "the anchor" that year for a good reason. Today, you can literally hear Mick "check" his tempo against the cacophony around him many times throughout the show. He adjusts in response.

Musicianship combines inventiveness, experience, and physical stamina. In mid-1980, the Macsters were all still young enough to have physical stamina—hand-eye (psychomotor) coordination and endurance. And after a ten-month tour, the brain didn't even need to fire an order to the musculature—the muscles just triggered seemingly automatically. Onstage at the Bowl, everybody's muscles were communicating on a level below language. There's no tighter jamming this configuration ever did than "Not That Funny" on August 31, 1980.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-10-2015, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here
Thanks for going out on a limb. Your post was informative, insightful and well written.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Lindsey's Camp Beverly Hills T-shirt and jeans were only worn at the last two shows (Los Angeles). So call that "costume" a one-up, if you will, not regular tour attire.

By the end of the tour, Stevie's hair had different "body" to it. It didn't look like a poodle; it looked like a permanent permanent. The curls were softer, more like ringlets. See the photos of her at the Bowl, backstage at the Bowl with Bonnie Raitt, or a month later at the USC-Arizona State football game. From tour start to tour finish, Christine seemed to put more and more makeup on. By September, she had almost as much makeup as she wore on the 1982 tour. She also wore clothes—big capes and robes—that Margi designed. It was like having two Stevie Nicks witches onstage during numbers like "World Turning" and "Sara."
By this, do you mean the cowboy hat outfit? And thanks for the rest!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey was in a plain black shirt and jeans during some of the European tour, like in Paris on June 14: http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/94554385396
and Rotterdam on June 13: http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/pos...am-nl-on#notes maybe it was a coincedence as these shows were back-to-back (I hope he atleast washed the clothes). He had a few outfits but I think whatever he wore on stage was mostly random and depending on what he felt like wearing that day?

Stevie's hair changed, towards the end of the tour it looked less frizzy and more curly. And towards the end of the tour she introduced a new "Rhiannon" outfit with more gold trim detailing: http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/64138004254#notes and a new shawl for SOTM http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/post/9592926614 (the would be Stand Back-shawl)

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 05-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Better than all of that, of course, was that by August and September 1980, the band's musicianship—its collective ability to be in the pocket and sustain it for two hours—was the best it has ever been. Today's performances are a pale shadow: the bombast fools people into thinking that there's something special instrumentally going on, but there is not. Mick, for example, is often being led by Lindsey, Brett, and John in a way he never would have allowed or required in 1980. Perceptive critics called him "the anchor" that year for a good reason. Today, you can literally hear Mick "check" his tempo against the cacophony around him many times throughout the show. He adjusts in response.

Musicianship combines inventiveness, experience, and physical stamina. In mid-1980, the Macsters were all still young enough to have physical stamina—hand-eye (psychomotor) coordination and endurance. And after a ten-month tour, the brain didn't even need to fire an order to the musculature—the muscles just triggered seemingly automatically. Onstage at the Bowl, everybody's muscles were communicating on a level below language. There's no tighter jamming this configuration ever did than "Not That Funny" on August 31, 1980.
Great observations here. I have noticed that instrumentally on this tour the Mac is letting a lot of the back line do a lot of the front line work. Mick still has a lot of power but his drums don't seem to be driving the music as they used to in the 1979, or 1998--or even 2006. And I wonder how much keyboard work Christine is actually doing.

I would agree that the Rumours line up reached a jamming peak with Not That Funny in 79-80. During the Welch years, Black Magic Woman held that honor. The 72 Seattle show has Kirwan and Welch trading licks and the band moves seamlessly into a double-time swing. In 74, on that Don Kirshner TV segment, the Mac, led by Welch and Fleetwood, is doing all kinds of interesting tempo and rhythm shifts. John seems truly inspired jamming alongside Bob, while Christine is playing groove licks on electric keyboards. They sound so sophisticated! Almost jazzy.