The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default what would have happened if they had never done solo works?

Let's just imagine Chris, Stevie and Lindsey never have released solo albums. How would Fleetwood Mac been during the 80s?

My two cents.. I think Mirage would have been a stronger album, in general. It would have included Trouble. Probably Leather and Lace. Though I think Stop Dragging does not fit in the Fleetwood Mac sound during Mirage days.
The tour could have been longer, though not as long as Tusk tour.

And there would have been another album in 1984 or 1985, before Tango. Probably Who's dreaming this dream would be there. And If anyone falls

Yes, they were fighting even more than in the late 70s, but they needed the money. And they wanted to work. Yes, it's an imaginary situation, cause if they didn't get along, they better sing solo. But let's just follow my idea. What do you think...

Last edited by Villavic; 03-16-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There probably would have been another album in between Mirage and Tango, yes.

I personally can't see Leather & Lace (would be interesting to hear S&L sing it though) on a FM record... but certainly one or two of the other Bella Donna songs (Possibly Bella Donna, Kind of Woman, Outside the Rain, or How Still My Love) would have made it, albeit sounding very different from how they ended up on BD.

I think Tango would have been a lot different because Stevie would have been more involved. But then again, that's assuming Stevie had a certain amount of influence on the overall sound of things anyway - so who really knows. I think both Tango and Mirage (and another album, if there were to be one in between) would have been very sdtrong because if you think about the material that they put out in the solo albums during those years, they had some really good stuff... so presumably, the best of that writing would have been given to FM to work on and then subsequently put on the records.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

they would have killed each other... or Stevie's father and brother would have killed some of the band... LOL! John would still be sailing on his boat!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love these "what if" type threads...

Assuming that Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine had no desire to do solo records, then Mirage definitely would have done better. The Mirage tour wouldn't have been cut short due to Stevie being wisked off on her solo journey. I believe Mick referenced that in his book.

Probably would have been another album around 84/85, but depending on how well the band was getting along, i.e Stevie and Lindsey, then they could have disbanded or a member leave and be replaced.

My take on the matter...

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 03-16-2011 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Don't ya hate typos!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie always said that if she didn't do Bella Donna that 'Outside the Rain' would have made Mirage.

I doubt SDMHA would have made it because she got involved with that through Jimmy Iovine.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that Mirage and Tango would have been stronger albums, also that there would have been an album in 84/85 as well.

I think Stevie's Mirage songs would have been "Gypsy", "Edge of Seventeen" and "Leather & Lace" (a Stevie and Lindsey duet).

On the 84/85 album I'd guess that her songs would have been "Stand Back", "Enchanted" and "Sable On Blond". I discount the songs co-written with Sandy Stewart because I don't think that meeting would have happened.

For Tango, I'd guess it would have been "Rock A Little", "No Spoken Word", and "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You"
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
, but depending on how well the band was getting along, i.e Stevie and Lindsey, then they could have disbanded or a member leave and be replaced.
That's possible, yes. Interesting what would have happened with the band, I mean the 80s albums success, with a songwriter being replaced.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i started a poll about this subject.

also i wish they had joined mick in africa and recorded Edge of Seventeen with an African choir for a double-mac album of african inspired music. (it would have been the best album of the 80s.)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think solo careers would have been inevitable. If they didn't start doing solo projects after Tusk, they would have probably simply disbanded after one or two more albums. In a way, I think the solo careers helped to keep the band together, as much as it helped to provide a distraction. With solo careers in place, band members always had a Plan B for their songs. So if Lindsey hated a particular demo, Stevie could simply say "eff you, I'll put it on my solo album, a$$hole," and be done with it. Without a solo career, she would have been more inclined to fight and use destructive passive aggressive tactics. Accordingly, if Lindsey did something too out-there for the rest of the band, he could say "eff y'all, I'll put it on my solo album" and be done with it as well. As for Christine... I honestly feel like she was a staunch company gal with the greatest loyalty to FM, and she would have been perfectly happy to stay in the band full-time. However, I think she did her solo album simply because FM was on hold and she was bored. I am sure she would have much preferred recording those songs with the band.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

well... i hate to say it but i think Stevie would've been so unhappy with having only three songs every two years...she either would've left altogether.. or worse... od'd... and that wouldve really sucked
Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
i started a poll about this subject.

also i wish they had joined mick in africa and recorded Edge of Seventeen with an African choir for a double-mac album of african inspired music. (it would have been the best album of the 80s.)
And Paul Simon's Graceland would never have been made because FM would have beat him to the punch.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
And Paul Simon's Graceland would never have been made because FM would have beat him to the punch.
Blessings abound in my alternative Universe!!

Seriously, if I had an interview with the band, that's the question I would ask them: why didn't you join Mick in Africa? and do you regret missing out on the possibilities?

I mean, for example. The band coulda done its Africa album (visitor), it's new wave eraserhead album (go insane), its switzerland album (christine mcvie), its alice in wonderland album (osotm).

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 03-17-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually I think that the Stevie/Lindsey "blowup" at the time of Tango, probably would have happened after the supposed "new" album around 84/85.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without the pressure valve, i.e. solo ventures, the band would have imploded. The Record Plant would turn into a rock and roll shrine for the night a blood bath massacre occured when most of the band members slayed each other (John got away!).
Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Blessings abound in my alternative Universe!!

The band coulda done its Africa album (visitor), it's new wave eraserhead album (go insane), its switzerland album (christine mcvie), its alice in wonderland album (osotm).
That's a cool premise!