Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Future Games

I dont know what it is, but I LOVE this album. I never get tired of listening to it, By far my favorite Album Bob was on. Favorite songs are probably the title track and woman of 1000 years. I'd be curious to get to get others opinions on this. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 PM

Love it!

Woman of 1000 Years
Morning Rain
Show me A Smile
What a Shame

This is a great album!
Old 09-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
Love it!

Woman of 1000 Years
Morning Rain
Show me A Smile
What a Shame

This is a great album!
Show me a smile. You're right, that's right up there on the album too. I mean the whole album has such a cool vibe to it.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Future Games very much, although not as much as some of the later Bob Welch era albums. My favorite songs, in order:

Future Games
Show Me A Smile

It's just a consistently good album. There are no bad songs anywhere to be found.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I like Future Games very much, although not as much as some of the later Bob Welch era albums. My favorite songs, in order:

Future Games
Show Me A Smile

It's just a consistently good album. There are no bad songs anywhere to be found.
ANd it was a great sign that Fleetwood Mac could move on after what seemed at the time to be the disastrous departure of Peter Green. Although they did make Kiln House in the interim.

Last edited by DavidMn; 09-19-2005 at 03:26 PM..
Old 09-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
And it was a great sign that Fleetwood Mac could move on after what seemed at the time to be the disastrous departure of Peter Green. Although they did make Kiln House in the interim.
Future Games came on the heels of the sudden disappearance of Jeremy Spencer...just they were already coming to grips with Peter's departure by then.

FG was also the biggest change sound-wise from album to album. Because Jeremy was all but absent on Then Play On, Kiln House was kind of a surprise to most people. Had Jeremy's tunes been included on TPO (the songs that were eventually released as Jeremy's first solo album; but really was just Jeremy fronting Fleetwood Mac for a whole album), I DON'T think KH would've been THAT much of a departure sonically. Danny's tunes still pretty much sounded the same and Jeremy's still sounded the same...it just didn't have Peter & songs like "Oh Well" or "Rattlesnake Shake" (although the end of "Tell Me All The Things You Do" is VERY reminiscent of the "Madges")

With FG, the new, fresh entity of Bob Welch and the addition of Christine Perfect added a whole new sound along with similar sounding fare of Danny Kirwan. "Woman Of A 1000 Years" is not that much of a departure from "Although The Sun Is Shining" on TPO; "Sands Of Time" is basically "Station Man, Part II", "Sometimes" is "Like Crying" only more hick. Welch, with his title cut & "Lay It All Down" just came out of nowhere. Christine's two tunes..."Morning Rain" would've fit on Kiln House had she joined the band one album sooner'; "Show Me A Smile" was the grandmother of "Songbird".

The great "link" song between the sound of Kiln House and Future Games was the Spencer/Kirwan tune "Purple Dancer"...it sounded just enough like KH to be familiar, yet dropped MORE than enough hints as to the upcoming change in direction sound, as well.

I've always considered FG as my "Sunday Morning" album.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Future Games came on the heels of the sudden disappearance of Jeremy Spencer...just they were already coming to grips with Peter's departure by then.

FG was also the biggest change sound-wise from album to album. Because Jeremy was all but absent on Then Play On, Kiln House was kind of a surprise to most people. Had Jeremy's tunes been included on TPO (the songs that were eventually released as Jeremy's first solo album; but really was just Jeremy fronting Fleetwood Mac for a whole album), I DON'T think KH would've been THAT much of a departure sonically. Danny's tunes still pretty much sounded the same and Jeremy's still sounded the same...it just didn't have Peter & songs like "Oh Well" or "Rattlesnake Shake" (although the end of "Tell Me All The Things You Do" is VERY reminiscent of the "Madges")

With FG, the new, fresh entity of Bob Welch and the addition of Christine Perfect added a whole new sound along with similar sounding fare of Danny Kirwan. "Woman Of A 1000 Years" is not that much of a departure from "Although The Sun Is Shining" on TPO; "Sands Of Time" is basically "Station Man, Part II", "Sometimes" is "Like Crying" only more hick. Welch, with his title cut & "Lay It All Down" just came out of nowhere. Christine's two tunes..."Morning Rain" would've fit on Kiln House had she joined the band one album sooner'; "Show Me A Smile" was the grandmother of "Songbird".

The great "link" song between the sound of Kiln House and Future Games was the Spencer/Kirwan tune "Purple Dancer"...it sounded just enough like KH to be familiar, yet dropped MORE than enough hints as to the upcoming change in direction sound, as well.

I've always considered FG as my "Sunday Morning" album.
U know, I can always count on learning something new whenever I post in this forum.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The great "link" song between the sound of Kiln House and Future Games was the Spencer/Kirwan tune "Purple Dancer"...it sounded just enough like KH to be familiar, yet dropped MORE than enough hints as to the upcoming change in direction sound, as well
"The Purple Dancer" was one of the band's best tracks from the early '70s. It's a crime that it was not included on the box set.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
"The Purple Dancer" was one of the band's best tracks from the early '70s. It's a crime that it was not included on the box set.
There were A LOT of crimes committed with that box set.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There were A LOT of crimes committed with that box set.
Maybe if there's a 40th anniversary set in 2007, the band will rectify some of those mistakes. Either make the set larger, maybe like 6 cd's or change some of the stuff around.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe if there's a 40th anniversary set in 2007, the band will rectify some of those mistakes. Either make the set larger, maybe like 6 cd's or change some of the stuff around.
First off, they don't need to include 99% of both Rumours & the white album in a box set...that's stupidly redundant or redundantly stupid.

The upside of the box set:
The new tunes, "Silver Springs", "Goodbye Angel", "Teen Beat", Danny Kirwan's long-lost "Trinity", and Bob Welch's alternate take of "Lay It All Down" with the additional verse.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First off, they don't need to include 99% of both Rumours & the white album in a box set...that's stupidly redundant or redundantly stupid.

The upside of the box set:
The new tunes, "Silver Springs", "Goodbye Angel", "Teen Beat", Danny Kirwan's long-lost "Trinity", and Bob Welch's alternate take of "Lay It All Down" with the additional verse.
Ok, here's a good question for you. You're in charge of what goes on the 40th anniversary set. How many cd's would u have it be, and what would you put on it? This will be interesting
Old 09-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Ok, here's a good question for you. You're in charge of what goes on the 40th anniversary set. How many cd's would u have it be, and what would you put on it? This will be interesting
Since I don't have access or knowledge of what exactly is in the vaults, I don't really know WHAT I would put on it. But, the one thing I would do is put the box set in as close to chronological order as possible.

But, actually, I think in lieu of a box set, I would rather just finish off the rest of the Fleetwood Mac catalogue's remasters in their entirety...all the way up to The Dance.

And, as I think about it, instead of a box set of studio material, I think I'd compile a fairly comprehensive box set of live material:

Disc one: 1967-1970
Disc two: 1971-1974
Disc three: 1975-1982
Disc four: 1987-1990
Disc five: 1994-1995
Disc six: 1997-2007
Old 09-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Since I don't have access or knowledge of what exactly is in the vaults, I don't really know WHAT I would put on it. But, the one thing I would do is put the box set in as close to chronological order as possible.

But, actually, I think in lieu of a box set, I would rather just finish off the rest of the Fleetwood Mac catalogue's remasters in their entirety...all the way up to The Dance.

And, as I think about it, instead of a box set of studio material, I think I'd compile a fairly comprehensive box set of live material:

Disc three: 1975-1982
Disc five: 1994-1995
Disc six: 1997-2007
Very nice. Ilike it
Old 09-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What could even go on a comprehensive single CD from this period? There's so much great live material out there, I can't imagine trimming it all down to 80 minutes. Especially when "Rattlesnake Shake" from the second Boston Tea Party set needs to take up almost a third of it...

Quote:
I think a lot of folks are just dying for something like this...

Quote:
Less so for this...