Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Rock n Roll Tombstone-Fleetwood Mac 1967-2009

Hard to imagine rock n roll without this band.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We've been "without" them more than "with" them the last 25 years; so, I doubt life will be that difficult after they're officially "no more".
Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
We've been "without" them more than "with" them the last 25 years; so, I doubt life will be that difficult after they're officially "no more".
Ehh, that's arguable. You argue about the validity of the Rumours crew being a band post 1980, yet you give creedence to the 1988-1994 period, so let's break it down in decade increments:

From 1975-1985 they put out 4 albums (Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Tusk, Mirage)
From 1987-1997 they put out 4 albums (Tango, Behind the Mask, Time, Dance)
From 1998-2008 they put out 1 album (Say You Will)

Obviously they were most active pre 1975... so we can certainly say we've been without them more the past 10 years than ever in history. I guess it's preparing us for the end. I just hope they record one last GOOD album to be remembered by. I'd hate for Say You Will to be their swan song .
Old 07-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
HA! I love your curmudgeonly dismissal. Yer just silly now. Come on. You KNOW you don't mean it.

The last 25 years has give us Mirage, Tango in the Night, Behind the Mask, Time, The Dance and Say You Will. Not to mention The Chain set and Live in Boston...
Old 07-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nh View Post
Hard to imagine rock n roll without this band.

Did I miss something? Where they going? Who died?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Did I miss something? Where they going? Who died?

Well, the post suggests they will die in 2009, even though I think their tour will last well into 2010, so I'm kinda scared here.

Michele
Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, the post suggests they will die in 2009, even though I think their tour will last well into 2010, so I'm kinda scared here.

Michele
Well, it's about time for another bogus Fleetwood Mac to take the stage. Last time that happened was when some chick named Bekka Bramlett(sp?) tried to take the place of Stevie Nicks. COME ON!!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Well, it's about time for another bogus Fleetwood Mac to take the stage. Last time that happened was when some chick named Stevie Nicks tried to take the place of Bob Welch. COME ON!!
FIXED.

Time was every bit Fleetwood Mac as Then Play On, Mystery To Me and Rumours. Go troll elsewhere.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
They are in their sixties. Let's face it, it's very hard to be a rock band member at that age. I miss Christine but it's completely natural she wants to retire and enjoy life in other way as she did in the past.

I don't want to see SYW as their swan song either, but any new album or tour would a gift. And I don't see it as another Rumours, Tusk, not even a Tango in the night. The public has changed.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Music is immortal. Bands never die.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
HA! I love your curmudgeonly dismissal. Yer just silly now. Come on. You KNOW you don't mean it.

The last 25 years has give us Mirage, Tango in the Night, Behind the Mask, Time, The Dance and Say You Will. Not to mention The Chain set and Live in Boston...
Time for a math refresher. Mirage was released in 1982. It's now 2008. That was 26 years ago. Also, I have a hard time including The Dance on that list. How hard could it have been to basically do a greatest hits live album with Viacom, Warner Bros., and Clear Channel on your side? Four studio albums in 25 years, ONE studio album in ten years...Yeah, I've moved on.

Compared to my new favorite artist, Robert Pollard, the Mac's output since 1987 has been laughable at best. He released three full length albums, one double album, a mini-EP, a "comedy" album of stage banter, a self-published art magazine, and a Best Of compilation LAST YEAR. He's already released three albums, an EP, and a self-published magazine of funny stories this year AND has an art book coming out next month, and has close to FIVE albums in the can. He has also released a series of 12 7" singles since last July. He's done more in two years that the Mac have done in two decades.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
FIXED.

Time was every bit Fleetwood Mac as Then Play On, Mystery To Me and Rumours.

Relax Stevie, it was a joke. I was simply using the Bekka lineup of FM(in a fun-spirited way) to illustrate that the band will probably go on forever, in one way or another, as it has since Peter Green left a long time ago. I don't think 2009 will be the year that we'll be putting a tombstone on the grave of FM.

Quote:
Go troll elsewhere.
I've been around a long time, and long enough to know that you are not one of Stevie's biggest fans. That's okay. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. But you've made many, many, MANY more disparaging remarks about Stevie than I have, or ever will about Bekka. So back at ya pal!

Last edited by jwd; 07-18-2008 at 03:27 PM..
Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Compared to my new favorite artist, Robert Pollard, the Mac's output since 1987 has been laughable at best. He released three full length albums, one double album, a mini-EP, a "comedy" album of stage banter, a self-published art magazine, and a Best Of compilation LAST YEAR. He's already released three albums, an EP, and a self-published magazine of funny stories this year AND has an art book coming out next month, and has close to FIVE albums in the can. He has also released a series of 12 7" singles since last July. He's done more in two years that the Mac have done in two decades.
I wouldn't even want Fleetwood Mac to do half of that stuff. Here guys, here's $50, do not release a comedy album of stage banter. Not that they aren't funny mind you, it's just . . .

Michele
Old 07-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered

Unhappy

Quote:
Time for a math refresher. Mirage was released in 1982. It's now 2008. That was 26 years ago. Also, I have a hard time including The Dance on that list. How hard could it have been to basically do a greatest hits live album with Viacom, Warner Bros., and Clear Channel on your side? Four studio albums in 25 years, ONE studio album in ten years...Yeah, I've moved on.

(sniff, sniff) Why am I not your favorite band.....
Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But a big part of the excitement of FM in the last 25 years has been the promise (no matter how distant) of new music--in whatever configuration. The band hasn't always measured up to the promise and, in some cases, their efforts were horribly underrated. Time, for instance, is a GOOD record. In fact, with the exception of the Dave Mason tracks, I prefer it to Behind the Mask. The Dance was charming and entertaining but, alas, thin: I resented the Grammy nomination because they were essentially being rewarded twice for their Rumors-era efforts. The four news songs were strong, and I would have enjoyed about four more.

Whatever the case, I imagine the band will continue on and on and on until Mick keels over at the age of 300.