Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Competition

I'm still kinda new here and trying to feel things out a bit, but one thing I've noticed, both before I joined and since, is that there seems to be a pretty good divide between the fans that like the pre 1975 lineup and post 1975. The same goes for the individual fans of Stevie and Lindsey. I totally respect anyone's opinion on whichever way they choose to go. But here's the way I look at it. Some people call themselves Stevieheads or Lindseyheads, some prefer the older lineup or the newer. For myself, I would have to say I'm a Fleetwood Mac head. I very much enjoy both the older and newer linups. not so much the Bekka and Dave years, and ad far aas Billy and Rick go, they're very good, just not quite up to par with Lindsey in my opinion. Anyway, My interest in the other band members, IE, Stevie and Lindsey is an outgrowth of my interest in the band as a whole. And while I very much enjoy seeing Stevie solo, and would enjoy seeing Lindsey solo, (Never have on that one) I would always choose to see them with Fleetwood Mac first. I'm curious to see what other people think about this. I will enjoy reading the responses.

DavidMn

"And He Was Just Like A Great Dark Wing...."
Old 06-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I'm still kinda new here and trying to feel things out a bit, but one thing I've noticed, both before I joined and since, is that there seems to be a pretty good divide between the fans that like the pre 1975 lineup and post 1975. The same goes for the individual fans of Stevie and Lindsey. I totally respect anyone's opinion on whichever way they choose to go. But here's the way I look at it. Some people call themselves Stevieheads or Lindseyheads, some prefer the older lineup or the newer. For myself, I would have to say I'm a Fleetwood Mac head. I very much enjoy both the older and newer linups. not so much the Bekka and Dave years, and ad far aas Billy and Rick go, they're very good, just not quite up to par with Lindsey in my opinion. Anyway, My interest in the other band members, IE, Stevie and Lindsey is an outgrowth of my interest in the band as a whole. And while I very much enjoy seeing Stevie solo, and would enjoy seeing Lindsey solo, (Never have on that one) I would always choose to see them with Fleetwood Mac first. I'm curious to see what other people think about this. I will enjoy reading the responses.

DavidMn

And yet, through all that, you don't even mention Christine.
If you're wondering where most of this divisiveness comes from, IMO- full FM band fans are turned off by people saying that one member is the end all, and be all, member. There's one member who has quite a devoted following. She, once upon a time, was probably my favorite member. But, my taste grew, and I came to appreciate the contributions of the other members more. Now, she's no better than any of the others, IMO. And I personally feel it's a slap in the face of the others, when they place her lone arse on a pedestal.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
There's one member who has quite a devoted following. She, once upon a time, was probably my favorite member. But, my taste grew, and I came to appreciate the contributions of the other members more. Now, she's no better than any of the others, IMO. And I personally feel it's a slap in the face of the others, when they place her lone arse on a pedestal.
There you go...droning on & on & on about Christine again.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Twas not the arse to which I was referring!
Old 06-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
That was priceless.

To respond to DavidMN's question... I'm definitely a Fleetwood Mac fan, but I make no bones about the fact that I have a preference towards Stevie.

I really don't think there's a Fleetwood Mac fan in existence who doesn't have even the slightest preference towards one of the members over the others. It's only natural.
For example, did anyone really love ALL of the Beatles equally?

So, for my tastes, they're best with Stevie... but I love and respect all the incarnations of the band (including the Bekka/Billy/Dave lineup), and would rather listen to ANY Fleetwood Mac album from ANY Fleetwood Mac lineup, before listening to most any other band.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
That was priceless.
Oh, there's a price, Bri Bri.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am first and foremost a Stevie fan. It was her songs that turned me on to Fleetwood Mac. And I don't listen to any of the other members solo music, just Stevie's. I do like alot of Lindsey's FM songs, I'm not much of a Chris fan. She has a couple that I really love (Think About Me is probably my favorite of hers). I do like some of the pre-S&L stuff, never had any desire to listen to the post S&L so I never have.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really enjoy all of the eras of Fleetwood Mac, including the post-1987 incarnations. In fact, I really can't say there's a Fleetwood Mac album I haven't enjoyed. But, I too have noticed various divides. I think there are a lot of pre-1975 fans who equate the "Rumours" band with ABBA-esq sell-out pop. Likewise, there are post-1975 fans who feel that the band's earlier music wasn't as well crafted as the "Rumours" band. And, both groups tend to dump on the post-1987 material as being generic. Then you've got the chiffonheads, the Buckinghamaniacs, and the Green die-hards, all of whom feel that their favorite member is THE reason the band was great.

Personally, I think it's all rubbish. The band has been great in pretty much every incarnation because Mick and John have gone to great lenghts over the years to find people who were talented and fit in with the rest of the band. Sometimes it has been a success, sometimes it hasn't. But, it has always been interesting, moreso than any other band, IMO.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
To respond to DavidMN's question... I'm definitely a Fleetwood Mac fan, but I make no bones about the fact that I have a preference towards Stevie.

I really don't think there's a Fleetwood Mac fan in existence who doesn't have even the slightest preference towards one of the members over the others. It's only natural.
For example, did anyone really love ALL of the Beatles equally?

So, for my tastes, they're best with Stevie... but I love and respect all the incarnations of the band (including the Bekka/Billy/Dave lineup), and would rather listen to ANY Fleetwood Mac album from ANY Fleetwood Mac lineup, before listening to most any other band.
My answer was going to be almost identical to Johnny's (except for the part about the Bekka line up)... so thanks for saving me the typing!

Yeah, I definitely have a stronger love for Stevie, but when you consider how great my love is for Fleetwood Mac (yes, the line up featuring Stevie and Lindsey), I don't think you can argue I'm "dissing" the band in favour of her. My love of Stevie does not diminish my love of Lindsey or Christine or John, or Mick. I have never understood why there are such deep divisions between the camps. We are all entitled to have a favourite artist - for some people, it may not even BE a member of Fleetwood Mac. There are plenty of crazy huge Tori Amos fans around here, for example. Their love of Tori does not in any way threaten my love of Stevie... To each his or her own, I say. Love them, hate them, whatever. But no one's opinion is wrong.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark
My answer was going to be almost identical to Johnny's (except for the part about the Bekka line up)... so thanks for saving me the typing!
Happy to have saved you the typing, Cat!
No love for the 'Time' lineup though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinthedark
I have never understood why there are such deep divisions between the camps.
Eh, some fans are still just trying to beat horses that died years ago.

Christine and Lindsey have quite a number of their own fans who think they hung the moon (or are the be-all and end-all of Fleetwood Mac), just as Stevie does. But double-standards often rule the roost.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

DavidMn

I have a preference towards Stevie, but I'm equally a FM Fan. And when she is with them my vision of her changes as her attitude and the style of her songs also change. As a songwriter she sends different inputs with FM and solo and I love them both. Though when she's in the band I totally see her as one of four elements (five with Chris). I'll go to see FM (hoping to have the chance) wanting to hear live the music they make together, not to focus only on her.
Then if you ask me about solo acts and albums is a totally different matter.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI

Last edited by Serrart; 06-17-2005 at 06:12 PM..
Old 06-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i am 1st & formost a stevie fan & have been so glad to be accepted as a chiffonhead & a member of SOTB ~ when i 1st heard stevie it was on my aunt's buck-nicks lp back in '73 when it came out, then when her & lindsey joined fleetwood mac i heard landslide & i fell in love w/ fm~ i think every member tho has given an equal & phenomenal contribution to fm, starting as early as the 1st line-up of mac until the say you will line-up, i am not a "time" era fan very much, but i do own it & have given it respect enough to have played it many times~ it would take me all day to say why i love stevie most, but i feel i have a pure love of her from the beginning & have stayed w/ her for 32 yrs so far~ does that mean i think she is musically better than the rest, nope , christine truly sings like a songbird, lindsey is the most underrated guitar player i have ever seen, i mean the man is a genius, john is just so cool & mick, i mean c'mon ya gotta have mick, he is a pioneer that has been around for so long, he deserves his due also~ i love love seeing stevie solo & have the entire show just focus on her, but there is nothing like a fm show, i can't help it, they are awesome, & i wouldn't have missed this fm/stevie ride for the world!!!~
Old 06-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some people call themselves Stevieheads or Lindseyheads, some prefer the older lineup or the newer. For myself, I would have to say I'm a Fleetwood Mac head.
I'm in love with Stevie & Stevie only.

The others are just . . . there.

About ten years ago, I was bored with all of them. Then about eight years ago, I hated all of them except Dave Walker -- particularly his song "The Derelict." At that time, I spent much of my time each day singing & playing "The Derelict." Not that I myself was a derelict, but the tune insinuated itself into my consciousness like nothing had done since the time I was gone on "Echo Valley 2-6809" by the Partridge Family. Here we are, five years later, & I still can't get over how stupid it was for the engineers of the "Sound Magazine" album to have faded so QUICKLY on that track. They give you about NINE SECONDS is all of such beauty the likes of which you haven't heard since you listened to Glenn Gould play the Goldberg Variations or Martha Argerich perform Scarbo.

So anyway, before that, I was a huge fan of Elton John & then Jethro Tull. But I quickly tired of Jethro Tull because I was reared on pop songs, & Tull is a lot of tiresome art-rock pomposity. In fact, it should have been a dead giveaway because it was only Tull's poppier songs -- Rainbow Blues, Bungle in the Jungle, Thick as a Brick -- that I listened to repeatedly.

Christine McVie is a most attractive person, in terms of her physicality, her demeanor, her retenue, her incisiveness, the way she holds her head & her arms, the attractive lilt to her whistle (you can hear her whistle in her Innerview with Jim Ladd from June 1982), & her choice of keyboards. But Christine doesn't want fans, & fans don't complement Christine -- it's like Georgia peaches & cable routers. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other: they're an exercise in incommensurates, like certain images & metaphors in the Hebrew Bible -- the J strands, particularly.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I'm in love with Stevie & Stevie only.

The others are just . . . there.

About ten years ago, I was bored with all of them. Then about eight years ago, I hated all of them except Dave Walker -- particularly his song "The Derelict." At that time, I spent much of my time each day singing & playing "The Derelict." Not that I myself was a derelict, but the tune insinuated itself into my consciousness like nothing had done since the time I was gone on "Echo Valley 2-6809" by the Partridge Family. Here we are, five years later, & I still can't get over how stupid it was for the engineers of the "Sound Magazine" album to have faded so QUICKLY on that track. They give you about NINE SECONDS is all of such beauty the likes of which you haven't heard since you listened to Glenn Gould play the Goldberg Variations or Martha Argerich perform Scarbo.

So anyway, before that, I was a huge fan of Elton John & then Jethro Tull. But I quickly tired of Jethro Tull because I was reared on pop songs, & Tull is a lot of tiresome art-rock pomposity. In fact, it should have been a dead giveaway because it was only Tull's poppier songs -- Rainbow Blues, Bungle in the Jungle, Thick as a Brick -- that I listened to repeatedly.

Christine McVie is a most attractive person, in terms of her physicality, her demeanor, her retenue, her incisiveness, the way she holds her head & her arms, the attractive lilt to her whistle (you can hear her whistle in her Innerview with Jim Ladd from June 1982), & her choice of keyboards. But Christine doesn't want fans, & fans don't complement Christine -- it's like Georgia peaches & cable routers. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other: they're an exercise in incommensurates, like certain images & metaphors in the Hebrew Bible -- the J strands, particularly.
Alright, A Glenn Gould reference! And, just for that, here's a picture of the CBC headquarters in Toronto, where the Glenn Gould studio is located.

And, here's a picture of some guy sitting next to the statue of Glenn Gould located right outside of the above building.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 06-17-2005 at 08:55 PM..
Old 06-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Hee...

I am a Lindsey Buckingham fan first and foremost, because he was the one who captured my attention (and heart) when I was in a very dark place. Then, I found out he was in this band....and I checked into that. I was hooked. I like most lineups okay and some I adore. I'm not a huge Christine fan, but she's cool with me. I love and adore Lindsey, Stevie and Danny the most. They are the tops for me.

I have to admit, if Lindsey hadn't been on the SYW tour, I would not have gone to as many, if any, concerts. He is pretty much, the be all and end all for me in regards to the Mac. I ain't apologizin' for it, either. UNLESS Danny Kirwan came back into the fold, then I'd most def have gone.

Competition? What competition?

Oh and BTW, Lindsey Rules.