User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
As far as Stevie putting out, "crap that wasn't good enough to make her other albums in the first place" - no. If you know anything about her, she CONTANTLY writes, so just because certain songs weren't released before does not mean they were crap. At least not in her case.
I want to agree with this, but I have a friend who releases 5-6 albums a year, so I'm not at all impressed that Stevie "CONSTANTLY writes" as an argument for 24KG. She could have released most of these songs over the years as b-sides, EPs, live cuts, etc. She FORGOT about most of them and had to use YouTube to find them.

Quote:
Was "Silver Springs" crap? It didn't make it on to Rumours.
But, it WAS released. It was a b-side to GYOW in 1977, was on the box set, and has been included on various "expanded editions" of "Rumours." THE only reason it got axed is that Stevie refused to prune it down so it would fit the time constraints of vinyl, THE major medium at that time. She won the battle but lost the war.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Subpar material? Crap? That may be your opinion, which you're entitled to of course, but....

Slant Magazine, 3 out of 5 stars
Amazon, 4.5 out of 5 stars
NY Daily News, 3 out of 5 stars
Rolling Stone, 3.5 out of 5 stars
Uncut UK, 7 out of 10 stars
London24.com, 4 out of 5 stars

These are hardly subpar reviews. (They're first ones I found in the first 4 minutes or so of searching)

Fan reviews have also been overwhelmingly positive.

As far as Stevie putting out, "crap that wasn't good enough to make her other albums in the first place" - no. If you know anything about her, she CONTANTLY writes, so just because certain songs weren't released before does not mean they were crap. At least not in her case. Was "Silver Springs" crap? It didn't make it on to Rumours.

Jamie
You overlooked a certain bit, namely this;

"Yes, some of it turned out great. That's awesome."

However my comment still stands; this is subpar material she skimped over for years as b-sides, soundtrack releases, even boxsets like Enchanted or collections such as Timespace or Crystal Visions. They are and were subpar material that she either made meh or great.

Plus, most of these songs she completely forgot about, I'm sure. She would, however, never forget the Silver Springs fiasco for even a day.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1980 View Post
Most of the heavy work falls on Lindsey and the other musicians? Are you just referring to the fact that they are playing instruments and Stevie is not? Because if you think that it is easy or no work to be the lead singer and put that kind of pressure on your voice doing vocals/harmonies on 20 songs during a 2,5 hour show then you are wrong!!

In that persepctive she is under even MORE pressure than the rest of the band due to the fact that her voice is her ONLY instrument.
I believe PenguinHead was referring to making an album, not a stage show.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks to several kind ledgies who provided ticket information yesterday, I managed to get a good floor ticket for 22nd June in London.

Before buying this ticket I had bought one for the 28th May London - Section A1 Row T. Although I would love to see both shows, I've decided I don't want to do 2 journeys (it's quite a way from here), so if anyone else would like this ticket can you send me a PM and I'll sell it at face value £140. Otherwise I'll try the re-sale sites.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Christine’s return wasn’t something ginned up by Mick. It was a process I suspect that started when she read Ken’s book. Ken said in an interview dated March 29, 2012 that "Christine McVie has read the book now, and she told me that she loved it. Christine said that I brought passion back into the music for her and brought back so many memories. She’s the only real sweetheart in the group. The rest of them are all fighting with each other." Almost two years to the day later, the band was on the Today Show announcing Christine had rejoined Fleetwood Mac.

The fact that Lindsey told the band not to participate in the book because he might want to write one of his own someday means Christine can't very well use that as a reason, but it was Ken who leaked that Christine was going to Maui and that Christine would be performing with the Fleetwood Blues Band, which is why I believe that Ken more than anybody is responsible for Christine's comeback.

And, it must be noted, in his q&a he clearly said the best thing for the band would be her return and a new studio record.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Could be that Stevie has not said she's on board with recording is because she knows Mick will probably want to extend the tour into 2016 so they can promote the new album...She's already committed to 3 years of FM and changed her recording schedule to accommodate the band...She simply might want time off...
Old 11-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am not somewhere where I can try and dig out links right now, but Stevie did in fact say in an interview somewhere that she wanted an outside producer. I don't recall if she was the one who said Dave (I think so….) or not, but when Lindsey talked about being open to outside producers and that the band had kicked around some names, he specifically mentioned Dave.

ok I did some quick checking and didn't find the Dave article yet but did rediscover this from TheGuardian March 25, 2011 where she says she expects there to be a new FM album "next year" which would be 2012…… and then something happened because we know she balked at recording and the guys had to work hard just to get her to participate in a 4 song EP. She's been reluctant/resistant to record ever since.

THe interview in the Guardian was promoting IYD so she'd already recorded that and had her glorious experience with Dave and still said she expected a new FM album in a year. So it wasn't like she said it, then recorded with Dave and had some magical epiphany like "this is how I want to record everything in the future"

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...icks-interview

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 11-19-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Old 11-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Could be that Stevie has not said she's on board with recording is because she knows Mick
And Lindsey. And Christine. And John. You know...the band.

Quote:
will probably want to extend the tour into 2016 so they can promote the new album...
Not to mention 2017 for Fleetwood Mac's 50th Anniversary.

Quote:
She's already committed to 3 years of FM
Good for her. I'm sure the band appreciates her charitable spirit.

Quote:
and changed her recording schedule to accommodate the band...
Yep. She owed WB one more album. Of course, it didn't have to be done right away. There was always the option of waiting for the Fleetwood Mac tour to end before doing the album. But, she opted to rush to get an album of leaked demos she found on YouTube done in six weeks so it would be done before Fleetwood Mac rehearsals. Of course, this also conveniently fulfilled her contract with WB, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Actually, 2015 will be the 50th anniversary of this incarnation of the band. They were asked to join on New Year's eve 1974/1975 so they were official as of Jan 1 1975.

1977 will however be the 50th anniversary of Rumours, so let's all imagine what creative repackaging and hyping of that album we'll be treated to in 3 years' time...
Old 11-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Actually, 2015 will be the 50th anniversary of this incarnation of the band. They were asked to join on New Year's eve 1974/1975 so they were official as of Jan 1 1975.

1977 will however be the 50th anniversary of Rumours, so let's all imagine what creative repackaging and hyping of that album we'll be treated to in 3 years' time...
(I think you mean 40th...)

But, Fleetwood Mac's 50th will be a huge deal.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
So there was no band before Lindsey and the Goat?

Dismissing the Bob Welch years is purely criminal(obviously the PG years too, I'm just a huge Welch era fan)!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And Lindsey. And Christine. And John. You know...the band.

Good for her. I'm sure the band appreciates her charitable spirit.

Yep. She owed WB one more album. Of course, it didn't have to be done right away. There was always the option of waiting for the Fleetwood Mac tour to end before doing the album. But, she opted to rush to get an album of leaked demos she found on YouTube done in six weeks so it would be done before Fleetwood Mac rehearsals. Of course, this also conveniently fulfilled her contract with WB, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.
As I posted in a thread a long time ago(God only knows when),IMO Stevie did her solo album when she did for a reason - she knew Chris would be getting ALOT of attention on this tour and Stevie just HAD to do something to draw attention to herself.What better way could there be?I don't doubt that she loves Chris but she doesn't just love attention - she craves and needs it.I believe her self worth,in her mind,is determined by how much fawning she gets.So sad,poor little rich girl.

Having said that I will also say that I really do love Stevie and her music but I think she has some serious issues that need to be resolved.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedeerocks View Post
As I posted in a thread a long time ago(God only knows when),IMO Stevie did her solo album when she did for a reason - she knew Chris would be getting ALOT of attention on this tour and Stevie just HAD to do something to draw attention to herself.What better way could there be?
You could be half right on that. I wouldn't say that it's something as narcissistic as drawing attention to herself. Stevie's perfectly capable of that whenever. However, she might have wanted to use Christine's return as way to capitalize on her album. That way, she doesn't have to work the new album as much.

Of course she's going to be ambiguous about Fleetwood Mac's future and touring behind 24KG when she has no intentions of touring it, or at least do a major tour for it. She can't very well say it's not worth touring behind when she's still actively promoting it. She might do a short 8-12 week tour, but that's it, and she'd do it when the band was putting the finishing touches on the new album.

Ultimately, I don't have any doubt that Stevie is on board with a new Fleetwood Mac album. It's fun to talk about if she will or won't, and what they should do if she doesn't, but I doubt she could let a moment like Christine coming back to Fleetwood Mac and having all five of them back together again after so long, when EVERYBODY thought that it would never happen again, pass without having some type of statement come out of it. Rushed albums comprised of leaked demos found on YouTube that fulfill contracts happen for a reason.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
So they say. This band is the biggest bunch of BS'ers when it comes what goes on with the band...
I SO agree.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
You really think at 71 Chris's motivation for coming back is money and attention? She seems very happy to be performing again, and not being stuck on her own in her mansion. I'm sure she enjoys earning the money, but I really don't believe that was her no1 motivation for coming back.
I don't think Chris's motivation for returning was for money and attention for her but I do think that Mick motivated her to come back for his financial gain.Everyone knows he's a greedy mofo and he has said that he loves to spend and has been bankrupt too many times to remember.Chris,being a good friend,said "ok,I'll bail you out-AGAIN"- hence the tour title,lets get "on with the show".And as far as a tour so soon after the last one?Maybe Mick figured he better "get it while the gettins' good"-that is,before she changes her mind.Just an angle my brain took..