Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Houston Show?

Is anyone attending the Houston show? I just bought my tickets last night and I'm in section E on the floor. Super excited about that tbh.

Hope I get to maybe see some of you guys there!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Junior Ledgie

Those are good seats. Did you get them through Toyota Center or the secondary market?

I am sitting in Section 120, row 5. I think they will be good. There was nothing available at all on the floor last week during the AMEX presale.

BTW, if anyone wants just one seat at a reasonable price on the floor for Houston, there is one in Section D row 14 on Flash Seats. The seller is asking $220 but you can bid lower.

Monday night is not the best night for a concert, but given that its around the Holidays that might work out good. There shouldn't be any conflicts. Except for Monday night Football!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Went to the Houston show last tour - front row right in front of Lindsey. Sounds like you've got great seats!

This tour, I'm headed to Dallas.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Houston Chronicle December 15, 2014 | By Joey Guerra

http://blog.chron.com/rantandrave/20...ta/#29207101=0

Fleetwood Mac at Toyota Center

Never underestimate the power of the Mac.

Three songs into Monday night’s set at Toyota Center, Stevie Nicks promised the crowd she would “get this party started!” Until then, Fleetwood Mac had been pleasing and mostly polite: anthemic kickoff “The Chain,” “You Make Loving Fun,” “Dreams” shifted to a lower key.

But something kicked into gear with “Second Hand News.” Lindsey Buckingham ripped into the song, all wild eyes and stomping feet. It reverberated through the sold-out crowd and energized Nicks’ take on “Rhiannon.” The party had indeed started.

Christine McVie, who rejoined the band after a 15-year absence, was still soulful and sweet on “Everywhere” and “Little Lies,” which both benefited from punchy arrangements; and oft-covered set closer “Songbird.”

“Now she’s been here, and it’s almost 40 shows. And now I think she’s gonna stay,” Nicks quipped. The band returns March 3 for another show at Toyota Center.

The enduring allure of Fleetwood Mac has been the story behind the music. The core unit — Buckingham, Nicks, John McVie, Christine McVie and Mick Fleetwood – has continued to thrive both in spite and because of its tempestuous history. Life has informed music and vice versa.

Buckingham played up the sentiment, declaring that the band’s success is in its ability “to continue to prevail through the good times and the bad.” He called Christine McVie’s reappearance “the beginning of a poetic, a profound and a beautiful new chapter.”

For now, though, it was about the music. “Tusk” still brings the marching-band thunder. Buckingham indulged himself, as always, during a solo “Big Love” and several rousing crowd-pleasing guitar solos. Christine McVie ably steered the “Say You Love Me” harmonies. Nicks cast an alluring spell during “Sisters of the Moon,” an extended “Gypsy” (complete with shimmering shawl) and “Seven Wonders.” She performed the song recently on “American Horror Story” (and thanked the show for taking it to a new audience).

And, yes, something sweet and magical still happens when Nicks’ croons about getting older and snow-covered hills during “Landslide.” The entire venue seemed to sigh in unison.

Nicks introduced “Gypsy” with a lengthy story about meeting Buckingham, shopping for rock-star clothes and opening shows for Jimi Hendrix, Santana and Credence Clearwater Revival.

“Are you listening over there?” she asked him before twirling through the song.

Long intros and instrumental breaks bogged down the show’s second-half a bit. But the padding was worth trudging through to hear “Go Your Own Way,” “Don’t Stop” and Nicks’ grand, gorgeous reading of “Silver Springs.”

Categories: general, music
Old 12-17-2014, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Houston Press By Bob RuggieroTue., Dec. 16 2014

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/...ood_mac_at.php

Fleetwood Mac Thrills Toyota Center for Two-Plus Hours

Fleetwood Mac
Toyota Center
December 15, 2014

The Mac Attack is Back! And with the Songbird back in the nest, the Chain has been reforged, and seems stronger than ever.

Okay, that may be a little heavy on the symbols and metaphors. But it's hard to overestimate the importance the Fleetwood Mac's return to its classic mid-'70s to mid-'80s lineup of Lindsey Buckingham (vocals/guitar), Stevie Nicks (vocals), namesake rhythm section Mick Fleetwood (drums) and John McVie (bass), and returning vocalist/keyboardist Christine McVie.

So many references were made by other band members onstage to McVie's unlikely and never-thought-possible comeback after 16 years (she had retired to her English castle, vowing never to make music again), that no one would have blamed her for blushing, even nearly 40 dates into this reunion tour.

Every classic-rock band of any importance or longevity has gone through lineup changes -- including Fleetwood Mac, whose origins stretch back to 1967 as a straight-up, all-English blues band. But there just seems something so...right about this lineup reconstituting. Take out any one of the five, and it's just not the same.

And for more than 2.5 hours, Fleetwood Mac put on a vibrant, strident, joyous show that was no robotic walk through the Greatest Hits. And they had the sold-out Toyota Center shaking, with even most of those on the floor standing up for the bulk of the set.

Opening appropriately with the band-of-brothers-and-sisters anthem "The Chain" to a rapturous welcome, the band played a seemingly never-ending string of favorites. The included a whopping nine of the 11 tracks from their career apex Rumours, and that album's haunting B-side "Silver Springs."

They also found set list space for a couple of deeper cuts from the more experimental 1979 double album Tusk ("I Know I'm Not Wrong," "Sisters of the Moon"), possibly to the exclusion of bigger hits "Sara" and "Hold Me" from the set list. Other highlights included a slinky "Dreams," buoyant "Say You Love Me," and hard-charging "I'm So Afraid." The band was augmented by three backup singers and two keyboardists/guitarists, tucked up on risers at the back of the stage.

Nicks dedicated a lush "Landslide" -- performed by just her and Buckingham on guitar accompaniment -- to a real-life Rhiannon in the audience who had/was facing some unexplained life challenge. She was likely not the only audience member either named for or conceived by that Tale of a Welsh Witch.

A handful of numbers were rejiggered from their album arrangements to great effect. Buckingham's "Big Love" went from a more pop tune (with the orgiastic "oohs" and "aahs" of the chorus) into a howling, guitar-drenched cry of pain. Its author told the crowd that the track's meaning for him had changed since its 1987 appearance on Tango in the Night.

"This song was about contemplation in alienation...and now it's a meditation on the importance of change" he told the audience and -- pointing to one close by younger member -- "written before you were even born."

Nicks' cocaine elegy "Gold Dust Woman" turned into a far heavier, extended jam. It featured one of Nicks' trademark stage twirls, all long blonde hair, scarves, and glittering shawl batwings. And while she pulled out her trademark stage moves more sparingly (being a 66-year-old in high heels and all), the audience went ape**** every time she turned.

She also turned out to be the night's most chatty storyteller, introducing "Gypsy" with a mini-history lesson of her and Buckingham's adventures first as teenagers in high school, then band partners in L.A. and San Francisco in the late '70s, where the duo opened for acts like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Chicago.

For all the romantic soap opera that has been the band's history with its members being together, separated, divorced, and changing partners, it's clear this particular pair still have an unshakeable bond between them that's neither forced nor fake.

All five had a sinewy energy about them belling their chronological ages, especially the super lean Christine McVie (who Nicks said has been "working out with a trainer every day since February") and stage-stalking Buckingham, both in skinny jeans.

There were, as expected, some concessions to age among the band's three singers. Christine McVie's voice is a bit sharper, sometimes removed from its warmer tones; Nicks' is a bit more gravelly, and Buckingham worked to make his upper register.

But these are all minor observances, and in fact, actually add to the songs, making them more lived-in and reflective of history.

When Nicks offered the wistful line "But time makes you bolder/ Even children get older/ And I'm getting older too" on "Landslide" (written in 1973!), it clearly struck a chord with both band and audience. And the vocals could have actually been turned up a bit higher in the mix throughout the show.

A slowed-down "Never Going Back Again" brought some more regret into the lyrics. And even Buckingham's well-worn kiss-off "Go Your Own Way" had a visceral power live that belied its FM-radio overplaying. [Note: this paragraph has been edited after publication.]

The evening came to a close with a rousing "Don't Stop," though one can't help by mentally picture a certain political power couple with the track playing now, and an elegant, heartbreaking "Silver Springs." Then, fittingly, Christine McVie returned to a grand piano to play the strains of "Songbird."

In it, the avian of the title "knows the score." And the score - brought home with Nicks and Fleetwood's touchingly personal post-song address to the audience about the current reformation - is that the band has started a new chapter in its ever-unfolding book.

The quintet are already working on new material for an upcoming studio album, and a second Houston date has been added for March 3 of next year. Get your tickets...now.

Personal Bias: Longtime fan, and not just of this lineup. And I credit seeing a Mac show in Austin in the late '80s (sans Buckingham, but with Rick Vito and Billy Burnette) with starting me on a music-journalism path.

The Crowd: Wider-range of ages than most classic-rock shows, from twentysomethings to sixtysomethings. A handful of shawled Stevie wannabes; Lots of couples.

Overheard in the Crowd: "I hope they do 'Sara,' but they probably won't. It's not a song really meant for concerts."

Random Notebook Dump: Lindsey's high, brillo hair is looking more Art Garfunkelesque all the time.

Photo caption: Have Shawl, Will Travel: Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Houston Culture Map, 12-16-14 by Jane Howze

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/e...algic-concert/

With McVie in fine form, Fleetwood Mac turns back time in nostalgic concert

Feetwood Mac played to a sold-out adoring crowd at the Toyota Center on Monday night. Many in the audience saw the band on their 2013 World Tour in June. Our reviewer gave the concert a big thumbs-up, with a footnote that “Fleetwood Mac is not Fleetwood Mac without keyboardist/vocalist Christine McVie.”

This time around, a youthful looking 71-year-old McVie joined the band, and her energy and high spirits elevated the concert to another level.

Every time McVie took the lead, the crowd roared — and the band itself seemed delighted to have their “beautiful Christine” back. With good reason. She soared in a powerful “Say That You Love Me” and “Over My Head” and provided spirited keyboards on “Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow.”

Playing for nearly three hours to a mostly older yet energetic crowd (this was not your Eagles audience who meekly followed orders to stay seated), Stevie Nicks, Lindsay Buckingham and McVie shared lead vocals. Opening with “The Chain” written by all five band members from the classic album Rumours, McVie then launched into “You Make Loving Fun.” Her lyrical and earthy alto made it clear that while Fleetwood Mac has held up amazingly well given their ages, McVie adds a richer and more nuanced sound.

Plus it allowed Nicks to harmonize and Buckingham to play his emotional guitar solos without having to be overly burdened with vocals.

Hits and cheering

With McVie back in the mix, the 24-song setlist shifted to songs recorded that they couldn’t perform without her in previous concerts. The hits and cheering never stopped.

Nicks’ version of "Rhiannon" in a lower key with a slightly different arrangement didn’t suit my taste. I’m not sure if the arrangement was because of her difficulty in hitting the high notes or was a way to mix it up. As she did at the last Houston concert, Nicks dedicated “Landslide” to a woman in the audience named Rhiannon who had survived a seemingly insurmountable health challenge.

After Nicks sang "Seven Wonders," she gave a shout out to American Horror Story: Coven, in which she made a cameo and featured the song earlier this year.

Buckingham, the youngster in the group at age 65, was the only band member who didn’t leave the stage. Before launching into "Big Love," he joked with someone in the front row that “you were not born when we wrote this song.”

Nicks was her usual hippie self with scarves, high heeled boots and flowing clothing reminiscent of the '70s with a long (too long) anecdote about her early days of shopping in a store frequented by Grace Slick and Janice Joplin called The Velvet Underground. She urged young audience members to pursue their dreams and then launched into to an extended “Gypsy.” With “Gold Dust Woman” she donned a gold shawl and twirled as John McVie (Christine's ex) and Buckingham showed their respective keyboard and guitar prowess. The song conjured up an almost psychedelic experience.

Other highlights included Buckingham on “I’m So Afraid” which brought an extended standing ovation after his show-stopping guitar solo and an energized “Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow."

The best surprise of the night was the second encore when a baby grand piano was rolled out for Christine McVie’s vulnerable and delicate “Songbird," with Buckingham quietly backing her on guitar.

After the band took their final bow, Mick Fleetwood and Nicks returned (wearing a Christmas decoration on her head) to once again thank the fans, express happiness for having “young” Christine back in the band and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and, as Fleetwood said, “be kind to one another.”

For those who “can’t stop thinking about tomorrow," Fleetwood Mac will be back in Houston March 3, 2015 for another concert.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Ha. Stevie came out with a Christmas decoration on her head.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had tickets to the Houston show (a single seat at Toyota Center).

Couldn't afford an airfare and advertised here. If you bought my tix email me please on schofieldj56@gmail.com

And I'll let you know how you got a 30% discount on face value. Because I hedged my bets on an Aussie and a United States show.

Ah, well.

I lost.

Did a Ledgie by the ticket I advertised here, and, did you enjoy yourself? Then flick me a Private Message
Old 12-17-2014, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Figured it wouldn't hurt to post the GIFs I made from this show here. Oh, except for the Gypsy ones, which I think I already posted in the Dallas thread. All primarily SnL focused so apologies to those who couldn't give a toss about that...

And here's two images which showcase her ridiculous, jaunty hat a little more, Michele...
Image 1
Image 2

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 12-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post

And here's two images which showcase her ridiculous, jaunty hat a little more, Michele...
Very cute. Thank you. John should wear it next. Michele