User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM as an influential band

Hi everyone!
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I 've been thinking about it for some time, so I decided to start this.
The word "influential" is one of those used to described FM in their entry in Wikipedia and I was never sure how this is meant. I understand it very clearly when I hear it about the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan or artists like Bryan Ferry (who has been a style icon for many others like Brett Anderson or Jarvis Cocker IMO), or Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen (I can't even begin mentioning artists who have been influenced by those two) but I don't have any particular bands in mind that haveobviously been influenced by FM.

(Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that they have not played an important part in rock mythology, it is just that I do not have anyone in mind..)

On the other hand, I think that a lot of (especially brit pop) songs sound remotely a bit like "Second Hand News" for instance, but that's about it..

I would be very glad to hear some views
Old 05-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know what you mean elie. I know that oodles of musicians have been influenced by F.M. from Sheryl Crow (obvious choice) to Billy Corgan (not so obvious choice) but you can't really hear a marked influence necessarily on their music, or you can't say "wow, that sounds so Fleetwood Macesque!" I think the Rumours-era three-part harmony is one of Fleetwood Mac's signatures, but it's not like they invented heavy vocal harmonies in pop music, I mean, lots of bands have done this before them. But since F.M., sometimes I'll hear that "sunny California 3-part harmony" in a band's sound and think, they are ripping off F.M.! I mean who knows right? And also F.M. has undergone a lot of personel changes throughout the years so it's hard to really pin-point their signature, overall "sound" you know? But even the Rumours era line-up (the most popular and lasting the longest) doesn't really employ a specific sound that is totally unique and easy to spot as an influence in other bands' music

I do think that many female vocalists over the years have tried to imitate Stevie's voice. I think Stevie is a huge influence on some female vocalists and when I hear it I think, "she's probably a Stevie fan, she's been influenced for sure." That's easier for me to pick out.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
I know what you mean elie. I know that oodles of musicians have been influenced by F.M. from Sheryl Crow (obvious choice) to Billy Corgan (not so obvious choice) but you can't really hear a marked influence necessarily on their music, or you can't say "wow, that sounds so Fleetwood Macesque!" I think the Rumours-era three-part harmony is one of Fleetwood Mac's signatures, but it's not like they invented heavy vocal harmonies in pop music, I mean, lots of bands have done this before them. But since F.M., sometimes I'll hear that "sunny California 3-part harmony" in a band's sound and think, they are ripping off F.M.! I mean who knows right? And also F.M. has undergone a lot of personel changes throughout the years so it's hard to really pin-point their signature, overall "sound" you know? But even the Rumours era line-up (the most popular and lasting the longest) doesn't really employ a specific sound that is totally unique and easy to spot as an influence in other bands' music

I do think that many female vocalists over the years have tried to imitate Stevie's voice. I think Stevie is a huge influence on some female vocalists and when I hear it I think, "she's probably a Stevie fan, she's been influenced for sure." That's easier for me to pick out.
I totally agree with all of your points and thank you for clearing some things out.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I 'm just adding that another not-so-obvious choice would be Greg Dulli (from the Afghan Wigs). He has covered "What makes you think you're the one". That does not necessarily mean he was deeply influenced, but anyway. Actually, even though I haven't heard the cover, I would expect it to be quite fitting.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just to be fair, when some reads about "Fleetwood Mac being influential", they immediately just assume that the Rumours crew (or Stevie Nicks alone) is the only "influential" incarnation of the band...which couldn't BE more wrong.

Seemingly, not an issue of Guitar Player magazine goes by without SOME mention of Peter Green as an influence.

Peter Green's influence can be heard in the music of:

The Beatles ("Sun King"...directly "borrowed" from "Albatross")
Santana (duh!)
ZZ Top ("Just Got Paid", "Just Got Back From Baby's", "Blue Jean Blues", "Asleep In The Desert", and of course"Rattlesnake Shake")
Aerosmith (covered "Stop Messin' Round" & "Rattlesnake Shake")
Black Crowes (covered "Oh Well")

While I'm all for giving the Rumours era its due as a major influence for some artists, let's not be dismissive of other incarnations of "Fleetwood Mac"' being influential, either.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elie
I 'm just adding that another not-so-obvious choice would be Greg Dulli (from the Afghan Wigs). He has covered "What makes you think you're the one". That does not necessarily mean he was deeply influenced, but anyway. Actually, even though I haven't heard the cover, I would expect it to be quite fitting.

Have you heard Camper Van Beethoven's rendition of the entire Tusk album? It sounds nothing like the original album. Nothing. Actually, it makes my ears bleed. I really like CVB too, and what's funny is that not only do none of the songs sound like the ones on Tusk, they sound nothing like what CVB usually sounds like either . I gather that they thought, hey, we love Tusk, we think it's experimental pop music and we are hugely influenced by F.M., we think they are a great band and Tusk is their crowning achievement. Let's take Tusk in all it's experimental glory and REALLY get experimental with it. That's the only thing I can figure.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you heard Camper Van Beethoven's rendition of the entire Tusk album? It sounds nothing like the original album. Nothing. Actually, it makes my ears bleed. I really like CVB too, and what's funny is that not only do none of the songs sound like the ones on Tusk, they sound nothing like what CVB usually sounds like either . I gather that they thought, hey, we love Tusk, we think it's experimental pop music and we are hugely influenced by F.M., we think they are a great band and Tusk is their crowning achievement. Let's take Tusk in all it's experimental glory and REALLY get experimental with it. That's the only thing I can figure.
Nothing different than a band like Phish coming out in concert and playing the Beatles' White Album from beginning to end (INCLUDING "Revolution #9")

There are infinite similarities between Tusk and the White Album...namely it is just a solo album with whoever wrote the song and the rest of the band as their backing band. With Tusk the continuity was held together by Lindsey's production...with the Beatles album, it was held together by George Martin's production.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Nothing different than a band like Phish coming out in concert and playing the Beatles' White Album from beginning to end (INCLUDING "Revolution #9")
Were they true to the original album or did they put their own "jam band" spin on it? I'm guessing the latter...
Old 05-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you heard Camper Van Beethoven's rendition of the entire Tusk album? .
No I don't think they are known here...

chiliD, you are very right about the "influential" thing being immediately connected to the Rumours line-up. In my original post I meant to ask about every incarnation, but I guess that (like cliffdweller said, if I understood right) the lack of cohesion and all the changes make it difficult to point out who has been influenced and by what exactly..
Old 05-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elie
It quite is!

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...A3BD286F905E81
Old 05-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood's musical & stylistic influence was noticeable in some bands & songs in the late '70s & early '80s, when FM's own star was ascendant. You could hear the style reproduced & assimilated in delicious, slightly quirky radio tracks by the likes of Walter Egan, Warren Zevon, Squeeze--& even by crapsters like Quarterflash & Leo Sayer.

but I don't think it was ever as widespread an influence (in a musical or stylistic sense) as, say, Led Zep.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You could hear the style reproduced & assimilated in delicious, slightly quirky radio tracks by the likes of Walter Egan, Warren Zevon, Squeeze--& even by crapsters like Quarterflash & Leo Sayer..
Mainly, because members of Fleetwood Mac actually PLAYED on those "quirky radio tracks" (except Squeeze & Quarterflash)
Old 05-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Fleetwood's musical & stylistic influence was noticeable in some bands & songs in the late '70s & early '80s, when FM's own star was ascendant. You could hear the style reproduced & assimilated in delicious, slightly quirky radio tracks by the likes of Walter Egan, Warren Zevon, Squeeze--& even by crapsters like Quarterflash & Leo Sayer.

but I don't think it was ever as widespread an influence (in a musical or stylistic sense) as, say, Led Zep.
Strike for you for mentioning Quarterflash!
Old 05-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Strike for you for mentioning Quarterflash!
HEY! I liked Quarterflash...the band I was in back in the early 80's used to get a bigger response to "Harden My Heart" than we did with "Gold Dust Woman". (But, NOTHING came close to the response we got to our version of Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker")
Old 05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
HEY! I liked Quarterflash...the band I was in back in the early 80's used to get a bigger response to "Harden My Heart" than we did with "Gold Dust Woman". (But, NOTHING came close to the response we got to our version of Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker")
Harden my heart was an ok song from what I remember. But they really didnt do much other than that did they?