The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: BTM: which songs do you like the most?
Burnette 3 17.65%
McVie 13 76.47%
Nicks 1 5.88%
Vito 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2023, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Skies the Limit is better than Only Over You, Wish You Were Here, and Mystified, IMO. And I like Mystified LOL.
Um, really?
It’s great that we all have our own views, feelings and thoughts. That’s what helps to contribute to healthy discussion and debate.
With that said, I’m afraid you are quite wrong sir. This is nonsense.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-19-2023, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Skies the Limit is better than Only Over You, Wish You Were Here, and Mystified, IMO. .
I only agree about OOY, I like far more Skies than OOY.

OOY could be a nice song but, the I'm ooooooout of my mind... Oh no I have never been able to bear those meows. Sorry Christine I love your songs but in this case you ruined a nice melody. My personal opinion.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I only agree about OOY, I like far more Skies than OOY.

OOY could be a nice song but, the I'm ooooooout of my mind... Oh no I have never been able to bear those meows. Sorry Christine I love your songs but in this case you ruined a nice melody. My personal opinion.
Care to comment, Fuzzy Plum?

Seriously, as you said, it’s all subjective anyway. I like Skies the Limit because of the incredible harmonies. There’s something reassuring to me when a FM album opens with a Christine McVie song, and Skies the Limit makes me feel good. And I agree completely with Villavic regarding OOY. Could be a good song, but “I’m ooooooout of my mind” makes me cringe every time I hear it. Although not as much as “Whassa matter baby…. baby… BAA-BY.”

My beef with Wish You Were Here is how the opening is lifted directly from Silver Springs. I’m sure it was unintentional but still.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Maybe Christine’s songs are slightly better than Billy’s (???!!!!?????) and yet I’m not voting for her for the simple reason these are by a long way her worst collection of songs and I’m annoyed with her for creating such banal tripe. So instead my vote goes to billy. The least stinky collection of turds.
I’m glad Billy got a vote!

Sorry you dislike all of Christine’s songs here. I was thrilled when I heard Save Me for the first time on the radio. I don’t find Rick’s guitar playing banal at all, I think it’s incredible. Do you hate As Long As You Follow, too?
Old 08-19-2023, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

My beef with Wish You Were Here is how the opening is lifted directly from Silver Springs. I’m sure it was unintentional but still.
I believe you got that backwards. I never heard the piano into to Silver Springs UNTIL The Dance, which came 15 years after Wish You Were Here.
Old 08-19-2023, 02:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

I almost picked Burnette, but I ultimately went with McVie. If it hadn't been for "When the Sun Goes Down", Burnette would probably claim the win. His duet with McVie on "Do You Know" works surprisingly well; if the song was even 5% cheesier, I would probably dislike it, but Greg Ladanyi struck a fine balance here. "In the Back of My Mind" is arguably the most unique song on the album and fairly adventurous with its intro, and "Hard Feelings" is a very solid ballad. A great showing for Burnette, but I really enjoy "Save Me", "Skies the Limit", and the title track.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m glad Billy got a vote!

Sorry you dislike all of Christine’s songs here. I was thrilled when I heard Save Me for the first time on the radio. I don’t find Rick’s guitar playing banal at all, I think it’s incredible. Do you hate As Long As You Follow, too?
Nope. Absolutely love As Long As You Follow and Love Shines and Heart of Stone.
But Skies the Limit was knocked up particularly quickly and it shows. It’s her most bubble gum single…ever. And it suffers from bad production. That opening is sooooo cheesy!!!!! That said, I think the award for her worst ever single release goes to Save Me. Sorry, but it’s just so uninspired. Said it before and I’ll say it again. I have plenty of love and respect for Rick but his guitar soloing is really quite generic.
Behind the Mask as a song is okay. As somebody else has said, it’s not bad, but there’s just something about it that stops it from being really good. I think it’s the silly effects that have been added. Again, a potentially great song (think Carnival Begin) ruined by awful production.

And as far as the ‘I’m ouuuut of my mind….’ Parts……well, I love those bits. That’s the hook. And I love it.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 08-19-2023 at 05:05 PM..
Old 08-20-2023, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine wins on BTM over the others, Stevie didn't bring her A-Game and Rick and Billy just aren't at the same calibre writing wise. That said, both brought at least one great song- Billy In the Back of My Mind and Rick with his co-write on Love is Dangerous. Save Me is a great pop song with some wonderful guitar although admittedly it loses some steam about 1/2 way through, the title track is great although marred by annoying tinny production sound in spots, her duets with Billy are pretty good and Skies is a Just Crazy Love kind of pop tune. She would get much better songs though with As Long as You Follow, Love Shines and Heart of Stone. Stevie just didn't have a killer tune for BTM and only parts of her songs are great. Freedom doesn't kick in until near the end where she lets her voice soar. Second Time has potential but kind of plods along. Affairs is just very generic with a sub par vocal. She does well on Love is Dangerous, but hearing the much better Intuition and the smoking' duet on Vito's solo album, Desiree shows that she still has the voice. She was in awesome voice on the tour for this album though.