The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music
Default My review of "Then Play On"

http://www.epinions.com/content_273284238980

I gave the album four stars, because the Reprise CD isn't all that hot, they omitted two of Danny's songs, and When You Say bores me. Weren't they supposed to re-master this things a couple years back?

Oh, and you might want to ignore the "Well, Duh!" stuff. I write for the general public, who usually have no idea what I'm really writing about.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Considering "Without You" & "One Sunny Day" were already released in the US on the English Rose album, OF COURSE they weren't included on the US Then Play On. The two songs on the UK Then Play On that were deleted for the inclusion of "Oh Well" were "My Dream" & "When You Say".
Old 11-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Considering "Without You" & "One Sunny Day" were already released in the US on the English Rose album, OF COURSE they weren't included on the US Then Play On. The two songs on the UK Then Play On that were deleted for the inclusion of "Oh Well" were "My Dream" & "When You Say".
In Holland they included "Without You", "One Sunny Day", "My Dream" and "When You Say". Instead they omitted "Oh Well", which was OK to me. After all it had been released as a single anyway. Putting it on the album would have meant that there would have been two songs I'd never get notice of until the CD rereleases.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But.... we know that Jeremy Spencer wasn't on the album....
according to Greeny he only played piano on Oh Well (part.2).....

Cheers,

Mario.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Ledgie

Hi,

This may sound strange, and I don't know if others feel the same but... I have always thought of (the original UK Release) of "Then Play On" as a Concept Album. I'm not even certain what the true definition of that is but, in my mind a Concept Album is one that needs to be played all the way through. I don't know if the Band intended it this way, but to me the songs weren't meant to stand alone. Rather, they all belong together, to be played consecutively. There are many other Albums that fit this loose definition: the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" Album, for example. Call me crazy!

Don
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don, I've never thought of "Then Play On" as a concept album, but there's no question that one gets a different impression of the songs when played on the original UK release as opposed to the US release. The song order is different so the way one song leads into another is very different. It certainly changes the overall feel of the album.

I don't believe I've heard any of the band members comment on the changes made to the song selection and order on the US release (presumably the band themselves had no say in that) but it would be interesting to hear how they felt about it.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got this album today and it is fantastic. I've been working my way through the Mac catalogue and my funds have finally allowed me to get another of the early years albums (I only had the Best Of... and the debut up 'til now). Wish I could afford the rest right now but I'm a poor student lol. At least this will give me time to fully digest this one. I see it getting a lot of spins.

BTW, mine has 13 tracks on it. I assume that means the tracks that were cut on different versions are on this one? 55min running time.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Ledgie

Default Then Play On Then and Now

In late 1969 early 1970 I bought Then Play On on the basis of hearing Oh Well On a local underground radio station. I went to the store and saw two Fleetwood Mac Albums. One with this grotesque “Woman” on the cover and the other with a naked man riding bareback holding a horses “Mane”. Being of limited funds, I chose the Man on horseback.
I bought this on Kings Highway in Brooklyn. They did not have a song list on the outside.
This was the playing order:
Coming Your Way
Closing My Eyes
Fighting For Madge
When You Say
Show Biz Blues
Under Way

Side 2
Although The Sun Is Shining
Rattlesnake Shake
Searching For Madge
My Dream
Like Crying
Before The Beginning.

I really liked the Album the way the songs went together. I think it was good placement rather than Concept. The following year My roommate in college had the same Album only his song list was this:
Coming Your Way
Closing My Eyes
Show Biz Blues
Under Way
Oh Well (parts 1 and 2)

Side 2
Rattlesnake Shake
Fighting For Madge
Like Crying
Before The Beginning

Both were American releases
Fast Forward 35 years and they release the album on CD. I bought that even after digitizing the old one.
CD song list
Coming your Way
Closing My Eyes
Show Biz Blues
My Dream
Underway
Oh Well
Rattlesnake Shake
Searching For Madge
Fighting For Madge
When You Say
Like Crying
Before The Beginning

Go figure
Old 11-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Then there's the original UK album, which added two Danny Kirwan songs that had appeared in the US on the English Rose LP (which of course was the other album you saw in the store that day):

Side 1:
Coming Your Way
Closing My Eyes
Fighting For Madge
When You Say
Show Biz Blues
Under Way
One Sunny Day

Side 2:
Rattlesnake Shake
Without You
Searching For Madge
My Dream
Like Crying
Before The Beginning
Old 11-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Ledgie

Default The and again

Anyone who likes this album will like the stuff that came out in the CD compilations "The Vaudville Years" and "Show Biz Blues" from Snapper
I never got to hear Jeremy Spencers solo Album that was made the same time as these. They were mighty interesting times and FM was mighty interesting band. It took me years to find "Someones going to get their head kicked in tonight"
Old 11-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I kinda like the "Madge" songs, if only because they are about a fan that followed them everywhere. I wonder when they'll do one about me?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
I kinda like the "Madge" songs, if only because they are about a fan that followed them everywhere. I wonder when they'll do one about me?
"Searching For Dave" & "Running From Dave"?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not bad. Always remember, no publicity is bad publicity.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote: