Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Billboard album sales

This is from the Ask Billboard section on Billboard's website:

Hi there,

I check your column weekly and really enjoy the questions asked and answered, so thank you for that. My questions are regarding Fleetwood Mac and Mick Fleetwood.

Both released albums in 2004. Fleetwood Mac with "Live In Boston" DVD and CD, and the Mick Fleetwood Band's "Something Big."

I was just wondering how well these two releases are doing sales-wise and whether or not you can provide any sales numbers for Fleetwood Mac's albums during the Nielsen SoundScan era.

Thanks for your time.

Peter Taylor

Hi Peter,

Fleetwood Mac's "Live in Boston" (Reprise) has sold just 58,000 in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, since its bow in June 2004. The Mick Fleetwood Band's "Something Big" (Sanctuary) hasn't faired even as well -- its total stands at less than 3,000 units.

The Mac's biggest SoundScan-era (1991-present) release is 1997's "The Dance" (Reprise), which has sashayed through 4.3 million units.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So let me see if I understand this:
Christine in the band= sales very good
Christine out of band= sales suck?

Old 02-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I was looking on RIAA as I periodically do, just to see if there are any new certifications for Fleetwood Mac, and Live in Boston is certified platinum. I think for videos though 50,000 is gold instead of 500,000, and therefore 100,000 is platinum (again, that's SHIPPED units, not necessarily sold). I didn't think videos sold that well anyway, so I don't see why it is "just" 58,000 copies. It's not like it was hugely promoted like The Dance.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder - does this include all the LIB sets that were "given away" to people who donated to PBS when they premiered the show as part of their membership drives?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
So let me see if I understand this:
Christine in the band= sales very good
Christine out of band= sales suck?

Yeah - TIME was a blockbuster.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

These numbers and the question as well are old. This question was submitted by ME to Billboard... and I asked Billboard back in September, near the end of September actually, after Micks release, and they posted my question and their answer like a week later... They just reprinted (must have been a slow week in the Q&A dept.) It's exactly as it was back then... so I'm sure the numbers have gone up especially over the holidays.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
Yeah - TIME was a blockbuster.
And Christine, as I understand it, wasn't even going to be on Time. Her songs were added late into the project. And she didn't tour with the Time band. So there!
Old 02-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
These numbers and the question as well are old. This question was submitted by ME to Billboard... and I asked Billboard back in September, near the end of September actually, after Micks release, and they posted my question and their answer like a week later... They just reprinted (must have been a slow week in the Q&A dept.) It's exactly as it was back then... so I'm sure the numbers have gone up especially over the holidays.
No, I think the numbers are current. I remember back in October, the numbers for Mick's album were just under 2000. So it must have sold another 1000 since then. I think LIB was about 50,000. So it must have sold another 8000 or so since then, mostly over the holidays.

I think there are 2 DVD discs on LIB. That's why it's been certified platinum, even though it's only sold 58,000. It's the same with The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac set. There are 2 CDs, so the numbers are doubled for RIAA certification purposes. The VBOFM CD probably will go multi-platinum by the end of this year, since it's still selling slowly, but steadily.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if SAY YOU WILL picked up any good sales over the holidays..I'm still shocked that it hasn't gone Platinum

Chris
Old 02-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
I wonder if SAY YOU WILL picked up any good sales over the holidays..I'm still shocked that it hasn't gone Platinum

Chris
I'm not. It's one behemoth of an album and too mcuh for the mainstream public to swallow. Quite frankly, I'm shocked that Warners let them put it out as is.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl

Chris

Yup. Still gold.

TVBOFM is platinum though. Rumours is like 19 times platinum.

riaa.com has all the info on each album.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I'm not. It's one behemoth of an album and too mcuh for the mainstream public to swallow. Quite frankly, I'm shocked that Warners let them put it out as is.
yep. Lindsey has lost his self editing ability.
Behemoth(sp) is the proper word....
Old 02-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
yep. Lindsey has lost his self editing ability.
Behemoth is the proper word....

There really was no excuse for Come whatsoever or the inclusion of Bleed To Love Her, but I love the rest of his tracks (save the awful Peacekeeper that was ruined by Stevie's presence and the slowing of the tempo, I like the solo version MUCH better). I could have done without Thrown Down, Say You Will, Illume, and Silver Girl, though. They really add nothing.

Old 02-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Say You Will IS definitely platnum whether it is or not. Madonna's last album is Platnum and Say You Will practically doubled Madonna's sales. So it's really just warners or whatever not wanting to certify SYW platnum even though it probably is.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 02-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention

There really was no excuse for Come whatsoever or the inclusion of Bleed To Love Her, but I love the rest of his tracks (save the awful Peacekeeper that was ruined by Stevie's presence and the slowing of the tempo, I like the solo version MUCH better). I could have done without Thrown Down, Say You Will, Illume, and Silver Girl, though. They really add nothing.
Illume and Thrown Down added A LOT to Say You Will. And Say You Will added a lot to Say You Will simply by making Say You Will, Say You Will

He Will Burn You Down