The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default FM/Stevie's influence on indie music today.

I thought it would be cool if there was a thread where we could talk about & share songs, bands, & artists who have been influenced by Fleetwood Mac &/or Stevie Nicks in the indie music world.
Whether it's a cover song, a similarity in style, let's talk about it here. Obviously there's Bat for Lashes where singer Natasha Khan has openly cited Stevie as a great influence. Or the band Midlake who's album The Trials of Van Occupanther exudes the rhythm of John & Mick. Anyway here's a few things to get the conversation started.

Beach House (I can't say enough about this band).
Photobucket
Singer Victoria Legrand's use of dark & mysterious imagery in her lyrics is somewhat reminiscent of Stevie.

This song was written on a train ride through the mountains for a television show in Oslo.

"Heart of Chambers" from 2008's "Devotion"

New song from the upcoming album "Teen Dream"

Midlake
Do I even have to say anything about "Roscoe"?

Bat for Lashes

Also, this is nowhere near indie, however it fits the conversation. It's John Mayer's song featuring Taylor Swift called "Half of My Heart." Heavy FM influence (it's not as bad as you may think) Give it a listen.

Last edited by gypsy83; 02-22-2010 at 10:27 PM..
Old 11-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Atlas Sound did a cover of Walk a Thin Line that was doing the rounds on indie blogs recently.

Vetiver also covered Save Me A Place a while ago.

Tusk seems to be a very big influence on a lot of the folkier indie rock these days.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, Thanks for posting this, there are some good songs and bands !
IMO, this John Mayer song isn't really good. Kinda boring...if FM would have sounded like this, I wouldn't be a fan , but just my opinion..
Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Natasha's Daniel sounds the most Fleetwood Mac-ish to me, very Tango in the Night. Like, if Kate Bush and Lindsey worked together to create a song, that would be it.

(I'm making myself sad, because this is a dream. Both of them are genius producers.)
Old 11-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My very favorite artist outside of Fleetwood Mac is Joseph Arthur. He was clearly influence by both Rumours era Mac, and Lindsey's solo career. Listen to this song... I've had friends swear to me they thought it was a new FM song:
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/sear...d%20the%20moon
Joseph's album Redemption's Son is one of my very favorite albums of all time, very powerful stuff.

Another Current fav is Brookville. They even sampled Beautiful Child for a song called Fleet:
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/sear...kville%20fleet
Their album Life In The Shade is without a doubt my favorite chill album.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

Check out the "influences" section of this band's myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/futureislands

Listen to the song Little Dreamer to hear the influence.

There's also a remix of it featuring Victoria from Beach House. Very nice!!

http://pitchfork.com/forkcast/13544-...toria-legrand/
Old 11-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Ledgie

Rilo Kiley speaks Fleetwood Mac volumessss to me..

Especially Silver Lining.

"If you see somebody running down the street naked every single day, you stop looking up."- Stephanie Lynn Nicks

Last edited by LikeAMagnet; 11-08-2009 at 12:55 PM..
Old 11-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Absolutley...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAMagnet View Post
Rilo Kiley speaks Fleetwood Mac volumessss to me..

Especially Silver Lining.

...and Dreamworld. Blake and Jenny are the Stevie and lindsey of today. As close as it's gonna get anyway.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeasayer get comparisons to Lindsey and the Mac quite a bit. One review said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedinsound.com
It's impossible not to break into a smile at the Lindsay Buckingham-like vocal phrasing. It's been a while since there's been a nod in the direction of Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night (if ever!) and its polished pop sheen. Indeed, the Mac's carefully crafted MOR pop is the first thing that springs to mind when popping this CD into the machine.
They're a good band and I'm really looking forward to their next album in 2010. Here are a couple of their videos:

This one's from their last album. It's one of my favourites. I don't know that it's particularly Mac but it's a great song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2A_Juv213s

Here is their new single (free to download from their site). It's a bit more Animal Collective (who are another slightly Lindsey influenced band) than Lindsey but there is something about the melody that's still a bit Lindsey-ish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKXujEphWS8
Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been pushing Elliott Brood Cavesingers and Decemberists as obvious Lindsey-influences repeatedly the last years. But -outside of Peestie, Suzyvermoesen and Trackaghost- noone really responds. Google/youtube those names and find clear Tusk-era lindseyreferences. ( the -male- voice of the Cavesingers even has Steviereferences every now and then)

Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=louielouie2000;852755]My very favorite artist outside of Fleetwood Mac is Joseph Arthur. He was clearly influence by both Rumours era Mac, and Lindsey's solo career. Listen to this song... I've had friends swear to me they thought it was a new FM song:
http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/sear...d%20the%20moon
Joseph's album Redemption's Son is one of my very favorite albums of all time, very powerful stuff.

If that would have come out of the speakers back in 1977 when I first heard of Fleetwood Mac, I dont think I would be a fan of Fleetwood Mac. I shouldn't judge by one song but that is boring. Your friends really thought that was Fleetwood Mac? To each his own.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I mentioned it in another thread, but that John Mayer sounds a lot like Say You Will!!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I've been pushing Elliott Brood Cavesingers and Decemberists as obvious Lindsey-influences repeatedly the last years. But -outside of Peestie, Suzyvermoesen and Trackaghost- noone really responds. Google/youtube those names and find clear Tusk-era lindseyreferences. ( the -male- voice of the Cavesingers even has Steviereferences every now and then)
I was going to mention Elliott Brood but I thought I'd wait for you to do it since you're the one who has been pushing them.

Cavesingers were playing in Belfast last week and I wanted to go and see them but I've been so busy that I didn't get to go. That bummed me out a bit.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I love both The Decemberists and The Cave Singers. At The Cut by the latter sounds like a missing song off Tusk.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Fleetwood Mac's style of minimalism & pop production (rococo orchestration, lovely harmonies, taut & balanced playing, insinuating hooks, dry signals, idiosyncracies taking center stage -- what Musician magazine used to refer to as "neoclassical") have influenced bands since the very early 1980s -- maybe not exactly "indie" bands (because the concept itself hadn't developed) but bands that maneuvered themselves off the beaten path.

These bands would include Squeeze, Don Dixon, Daniel Lanois, Nick Cave & the Bad Seed, Warren Zevon, John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, Midge Ure, Rockpile, El Rayo-X, & that long-forgotten excellent pop group The Searchers (listen to "Love's Melodies").

moviekinks.blogspot.com