The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't buy the book - because I don't care what that woman has to say !!!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It won't be topping the bestseller list but I agree that a number of people will want to take a look at this book. There are very few accounts of this hugely successful era in American music so it is a record of that time by an insider. Plus if she mentions other bands and singers of the time too, they and their fans will want to read it.

If LB asked her to marry him not once but twice, why didn't it happen? She said on tv not so long ago she still loves him even after all this time and clearly has a need to go back to this period and relationship in her life so I can't see that she would have turned him down jmo
Old 06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Make that 8 people, I pre-ordered it, too. It's to feed my FM information obsession.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i get the FM interest/obsession.
but who wants to read garbage like this?
there are so many great new books out right now.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
i get the FM interest/obsession.
but who wants to read garbage like this?
there are so many great new books out right now.
You are entitled to not read and discuss it and that's certainly a reasonable choice. Yet this is a Fleetwood Mac website and people discuss things about the band. Sometimes ad nauseum, I might add!

Lindsey has always been a genious in Fleetwood Mac and some want to understand him more. I personally have never quite understood what was behind "I'm So Afraid." I kept thinking WHY is he saying "I'm so afraid of the way I feel." What could be so fearful about feelings. And he wrote that song at such a young age. What could possibly frighten Lindsey about the way he feels? I just couldn't get it. If he is speaking about rage, anger management, maybe a bit of this book and that song make some sense. He has mentioned he's been in therapy.

I don't think it makes a person a "bad fan" to be interested in this book. He wrote the song, "I'm So Afraid." He put it out there. I don't think this book paints Lindsey as an evil person, but there is clearly a Lindsey shown that has anger issues. I think there are shades of Lindsey shown that maybe some don't want to know about. Lindsey speaks of "My Little Demon," "Go Insane . . . as I always do." etc. I think he's expressing something in his lyrics.

There's some humor in the book as well. There are some glimpses of Stevie that made me roar. But it's from this writer's point of view.

I think John McVie comes off as the most kind and probably most "together" member of the band (despite his personal battles with alcohol, which he has fought valiantly against). Haven't a few of us said that before?

Edit:
I left out the description of Christine. She seems like someone you'd really want to meet:
"Christine was a guys' girl, a good sport- think Katherine Hepburn's elegance and boyish charm, or Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby. She was earthy and tough, despite the pure voice and the poignant love songs she wrote. She was the band mother, as Stevie was the wayward band child." (introduction, page xi)

Last edited by Tango; 06-30-2007 at 03:53 PM..
Old 07-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At best, this is white trash summer reading.
Unfortunately, this book represents a woman who needs serious therapy.
It's 2007 and she's still trying to make money off of Lindsey Buckingham!
FM fans should not waste money on this garbage.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
he made money off her in his comp's... turnabout is fair play...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Ledgie

Quote:

LOL! Lindsey has used this relationship as the inspiration for many songs, which he still performs. He has also discussed Carol Ann in several interviews, including accusing her of sleeping with Dennis Wilson. Why shouldn't Carol Ann be allowed her say?

--
Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, Act 3
Irish dramatist, novelist, & poet (1854 - 1900)
Old 03-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Junior Ledgie

well I read the book. and I think before talking about, read it first. I mean saying that Lindsey was not too upset is kind of interpretation, I mean they both met after the split up and I also think you can read it everywhere that the thing between them is still going on, and i mean the kind of chemistry between the two, that is going on til today. I find it quite interesting to read the book and I totally have the feeling that she´s trying to write it in all honesty about her point of view. great lecture, fun to read
Old 06-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

maybe lb didn't let ca know the breakup was hard on him? for him to talk about an ex during a 7 year relationship would have been rude.

i do believe he asked her to marry him. remember the handwritten lyrics "gonna ask my baby to marry me?" that was written when he was with ca. why didn't it happen? well maybe she wasn't ready? she had issues at the time with coke & ultimately messed around with dennis wilson which i'm sure didn't set well in the relationship. that she lost a baby is so sad tho. honestly i don't get why everyone seems to dislike her so much. lb loved her & spent close to a decade with her. they split because lb couldn't deal with her habit & probably other things as well. that doesn't make her a bad person. & judging by what's in the book so far, to this day she's maintaining class by not mudslinging at lb.

but for anyone interested she's signing her books next month in la. think she'll sell more than 7 copies.

http://www.myspace.com/booksoup
(look at july 14 on calendar)
"carol ann harris presents and signs "storms, my life with lindsey buckingham'"
Old 06-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think the majority of fans "hate" her because she and Lindsey had a meaningful relationship that lasted 7 years, although granted there may be some. I don't hate her but I do find what she has done questionable; i.e., Writing a tell-all book twenty years later after Lindsey has married, fathered 3 children, and revived his solo career. It's not about her cashing in so much as it's about her selling-out in other words it's about her blatant betrayal of someone's trust. If you love someone you don't tell-all. She wasn't a member of the band so what she has to say is "second hand news!"

CarolC
Old 06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol7lynn View Post
I don't think the majority of fans "hate" her because she and Lindsey had a meaningful relationship that lasted 7 years, although granted there may be some. I don't hate her but I do find what she has done questionable; i.e., Writing a tell-all book twenty years later after Lindsey has married, fathered 3 children, and revived his solo career. It's not about her cashing in so much as it's about her selling-out in other words it's about her blatant betrayal of someone's trust. If you love someone you don't tell-all. She wasn't a member of the band so what she has to say is "second hand news!"

CarolC
i don't know but i think fame comes with a lot more than big bucks. from her perspective, fans are interested in the band & what they were doing at the time. it'll make her some cash, sure, but it doesn't sound like she's telling all. she wasn't a member of the band but short of them writing their own books (which mick did & some people discredited anyway) i think she was about as close to them as anyone could get. as far as betrayal, who knows what happened in that relationship. she & lb are no longer together so i doubt trust from either end even plays into it. he wrote and still performs go insane which is all about ca, not to mention the entire album. is that any different as songs are tell-alls in & of themselves? i doubt she felt a tremendous sense of privacy or trust when it was released. getting involved with a famous person has a price as that person can give out personal info through words or in this case, songs that you may not want to share with the world. being famous also has its price in that someone may do the same to you in some other way or artform. remember also lb talking about ca's drug habits & infidelities in interviews. not exactly not telling all. who started the ball rolling?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Well, I think it will be more than 7 copies. Perhaps members of the band will buy it (and deny buying it), former roadies, associates, etc. Whether one wants to believe what is written in this book, unlike the Sandra book, this one was written by someone who actually knew the band, lived with them and traveled with them. She may have some axes to grind, but at least it's her own first hand account. I have heard the pictures in Carol Ann's book are of poor quality, but fans won't buy it solely for the pictures.
I'm sure some of the band's lawyers got advance copies. All in all, it's her story and I enjoyed the book.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope this worthless maggot makes no money whatsoever off this piece of trash.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

I read the book (skimming some parts) and have to say something really struck me. She is constantly touting her sarcastic sense of humor - her great sense of humor - in the book. Is there even a photo of her anywhere with a big smile? There must be, but I haven't seen it. She looks downright morose in every photo I've ever seen, and in the Japan footage God she just seems like a total personality-less downer. She's gorgeous, for sure, but this sparkling personality she supposedly had doesn't come through on camera. Unless someone's seen different, which is quite possible.

I also felt the book spent far too much time on the myriad instances of her and Lindsey making fun of Stevie. I think the whole band spent time making fun of Stevie - must have been hard not to, she sort of invites it sometimes and she was the "little sister" of the band - but seems like every few pages there is a passage about her and Lindsey laughing hysterically over ridiculous Stevie.

Perhaps Lindsey never did confide in CA over his feelings about Stevie - after all, "I'm not over my last girlfriend" isn't a really hot thing to say to one's current gf - but you'd think after eight years, they'd have had one serious conversation about Stevie. Lindsey, and everyone, KNEW about Stevie and Mick's affair while it was going on and no one cared? Really? CA and Lindsey never spoke about the fact that Stevie was bonking Mick? Really? How is this possible? I just find it hard to believe that two people, supposedly so in love, on cocaine all the time, never spoke about this.