Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Fake Mac

Elmer Gantry - gtr/voc
Kirby - lead gtr
Dave Wilkinson - keyboards
Paul Martinez - bass
Craig Collinge - drums

I think it lasted about 2 weeks (in Jan. '74). Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 10-22-2005 at 02:58 PM..
Old 10-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Elmer Gantry - gtr/voc
Kirby - lead gtr
Dave Wilkinson - keybords
Paul Martinez - bass
Craig Collinge - drums

I think it lasted about 2 weeks (in Jan. '74). Hope this helps.

John
Paul Martinez went on to play bass on Robert Plant's first solo album. He co-wrote a few of the songs, too.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Paul Martinez went on to play bass on Robert Plant's first solo album. He co-wrote a few of the songs, too.
Yeah, they all did pretty good to some extent, EG of course with his "Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera" 1968 cult classic album (which Plant liked too), Gantry was in Alan Parsons for a few albums, Wilkinson was in Chicken Shack for a while, Martinez like you said w/Plant, Cat Stevens, etc. Collinge had played with Manfred Mann, we could go on and on.

John
Old 10-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And, let's not forget they went on to become "Stretch". Which counts one Nigel Watson as a former member...THAT's an ironic twist...especially considering the current litigation.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Actually, my LEAST (by a long margin) favorite incarnation is the Rumours lineup.
And yet you play a Turner!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
And yet you play a Turner!
So? What does that have to do with anything?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So? What does that have to do with anything?
If Lindsey's not your hero, you shouldn't be playing a Turner!
You should give it to me!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Buddy Holly was one of the first guys to play a Fender Stratocaster, but I don't think Dick Dale or Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan started using Strats because of Buddy Holly.

I seriously doubt Slash or Mick Ronson or Freddie King or Mike Bloomfield or Eric Clapton or Peter Green started playing Gibson Les Pauls because Les Paul himself played one.

Lindsey basically introduced the Turner Model 1 to the world. And, that's where his influence with me ends.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Buddy Holly was one of the first guys to play a Fender Stratocaster, but I don't think Dick Dale or Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan started using Strats because of Buddy Holly.
I seriously doubt Slash or Mick Ronson or Freddie King or Mike Bloomfield or Eric Clapton or Peter Green started playing Gibson Les Pauls because Les Paul himself played one.

Lindsey basically introduced the Turner Model 1 to the world. And, that's where his influence with me ends.
Intersting. My only issue with the comparison is that Fenders and Gibsons are mass produced, widely available, and are associated with many noteable players of different styles. (Okay, I know Les Pauls were buggers to find there for a few years, but still.) The Turner is NOT mass produced, not widely available, and I know of only one guitarist associated with the guitar. Just say it: You wanna be like Lindsey on some level.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Turner is NOT mass produced, not widely available, and I know of only one guitarist associated with the guitar.
Hmmm...more than you actually realize, Steve. John Stewart plays one...Colin Hay of Men At Work plays one...country star Hal Ketchum plays one. Just to name THREE others...and well, ****, Steve, ME, I play one. And also two other Ledgies...madformac (well, ex-Ledgie) and Seteca, too! And, just check out Rick Turner's message board...a whole ****LOAD of non-Lindsey wannabes play Turner M1s.

Oh...and the guitar player (whose name I don't know) of the funk band the Ohio Players plays an M1, as well.

Quote:
Just say it: You wanna be like Lindsey on some level.
You could beat me with a soap bar in a sock, grill me in a dark room with only a desk lamp in my face, and I'll NEVER agree to that.

Of course, I LOVE the guitar he USES, but I could give a rats ass about wanting to be like him...I've got my OWN sound & style which has NOTHING to do with LB. Maybe if I'd have gotten an M1 back in 1979 or 1980 when I was in my 20's, there's a slight chance I would tend to agree...but not in the last 25 years. My idol-worship days are LONNNNNNG over. Plus, on a local level, (with all modesty) I'M known for being "the guy with a Turner" (there aren't a whole lot of blues players with Turners)....Lindsey DEFINITELY doesn't even figure into that.

Last edited by chiliD; 10-21-2005 at 06:41 PM..
Old 10-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default thanks

thanks for replies to:

macfan57

got the download - I have another download from a web page no
longer available - this one does seem slightly better quality

also to:

brentonbanquet

I have the Madison Blues double CD & DVD which is great, but kind of leaves you with wanting more, if only they'd made just one more album with that lineup.

anyway, as a sidenote - I saw the Then Play On lineup when they toured (I'm assuming it was the tour that ended up at the Boston Tea Party) in San Antonio's Municipal Auditorium. They opened for Jethro Tull (Stand Up version of the band) and it was a hell of a concert. Owing to a dose of Purple Haze (who remembers those days?) it's all kind of a blur. I remember it being really good but not really which songs they played, except for Oh Well (part 1) which I do remember them playing. Peter introduced most of the songs by saying "the next one is a fast one" or "the next is a slow one". Jeremy sat at the piano for a lot of the songs, which were probably Peter or Danny songs. So anybody who was there and can tell me the song lineup I'd really appreciate it. Or if you also saw them on this tour which songs did they play when you saw them?

Last edited by Denmeister99; 10-22-2005 at 12:08 PM..
Old 10-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Denmeister99
This message has been deleted by Denmeister99. Reason: duplication
Old 10-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
....Oh...and the guitar player (whose name I don't know) of the funk band the Ohio Players plays an M1, as well....

cD- leroy bonner.

play on.

zero