Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The "Fake" Fleetwood Mac

I've read enough about this sordid time in Fleetwood Mac's history to know that it should be a lesson to ALL artists and bands to PAY ATTENTION to what's going on around you, especially your business affairs. For Clifford David to do what he did, especially since the whole genesis of the situation was Mick not wanting to be on the road cause Bob Weston was bangin his wife, is deplorable as far as I'm concerned. I mean, here was a guy who was dealing with a pesonal crisis, and he wasnt BREAKING UP the band, just needed to get off the road for awhile, and then Davis goes and does what he did..
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually can see where Cliff Davis was coming from. That happened in early 1974. Now, consider that they nearly had to cancell the "Kiln House" tour early 1971 and had to cancel the "Bare Trees" tour in mid 1972. This was third time in three years that a major disaster happened on the road, and I'm sure he had had enough. He wanted to put a band out there so that he wouldn't lose what little reputation he had. Ironically, the joke was on him.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it was a fairly daft thing to do, I mean, fans were never going to fall for it But I too can see Davis' problem - Mac must have been a bit of a nightmare to work for sometimes, with members disappearing, bust-ups and fall-outs, and maybe the Weston Issue was one step too far for Davis. It might be that Fleetwood told Davis the band wasn't breaking up and Davis just didn't believe him. Kirwan had to be asked to leave, Walker arrived and was gone within months, Weston arrives and gets the boot, Fleetwood calls a halt to a tour and goes to Africa to sort his head out - all in the space of a year or so... if I'd been the band's manager I would have had absolutely no idea what to do to sort it, and a feeling of dread as to what crisis was coming along next!

It's about time Clifford Davis wrote a book - he has SO much to say, and so many answers to so many questions - not only about Mac; he was Danny's manager too for a few years. Does anyone know what Davis is doing now?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
It's about time Clifford Davis wrote a book - he has SO much to say, and so many answers to so many questions - not only about Mac; he was Danny's manager too for a few years. Does anyone know what Davis is doing now?
He was Peter's manager for awhile too as I recall. And didn't some members of the "fake" Mac also play on Danny's albums?

Bob Brunning's book provides insight into Davis' side of the story - you can understand the pressure he must have been under to do something, but obviously what he did was not the best decision.

There are a lot of people who could write some interesting books about Fleetwood Mac, and they'd probably all tell conflicting stories!
Old 12-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
He was Peter's manager for awhile too as I recall. And didn't some members of the "fake" Mac also play on Danny's albums?
And, let's not forget that Clifford Davis' sister, Mich Reynolds, was/is married to Nigel Watson, Peter's long-time friend (still?) and Splinter Group partner. AND, Mich was managing the PGSG in its early stages.

Continuing the "small incestuous world": Nigel Watson spent some time in the band that was made up of most of the "fake Mac" called "Stretch".
Old 12-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
And, let's not forget that Clifford Davis' sister, Mich Reynolds, was/is married to Nigel Watson, Peter's long-time friend (still?) and Splinter Group partner. AND, Mich was managing the PGSG in its early stages.

Continuing the "small incestuous world": Nigel Watson spent some time in the band that was made up of most of the "fake Mac" called "Stretch".
Actually, you have that backwards... Mich is Nigel's sister, and was married to Cifford Davis at one time. By the way, Clifford also used to go under the name: Clifford Adams for a while, and my understanding is that he somehow convinced Peter to sign over the Composers Rights to certain of his songs, hence the C.G. Adams that you see listed in the credits on some of Peter's music.

When the "Fake" band thing was happening, Clifford transfered the rights to some of the music over to Mich, presumably to protect his assets from the pending law suit from the Band (regarding the "Fake" Tour). After the couple had parted company, and after the legal dispute with Fleetwood Mac had been resolved, Clifford asked Mich to transfer the rights back into his name and she said "no". That's why she still owns the rights to (for example)the "Boston Tea Party" recordings. Clifford did manage to eventually recover some of the stuff, but not all.

I hope that helps sort out some of the confusion.

Cheers, Don
Old 12-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Brown
Actually, you have that backwards... Mich is Nigel's sister, and was married to Cifford Davis at one time.
How'd I forget that...I KNEW that, but wasn't thinking straight when I posted. I was thinking that Cifford was Nigel's brother-in-law, but got the equation wrong.

Thanks for coming to the rescue, Don. It's been a while since you've posted...please post more often if you can. Always enjoyed your posts on the "Views For Greeny" board way back when.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Brown
Mich is Nigel's sister, and was married to Cifford Davis at one time.
And ironically (or maybe not), she got the rights to the old Fleetwood Mac songs in the divorce. And then she magically became Peter's manager.

Well, isn't that convenient...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=SteveMacD]And ironically (or maybe not), she got the rights to the old Fleetwood Mac songs in the divorce. And then she magically became Peter's manager.

Yes, that's an interesting fact. Seems like a cunning woman,
but who knows?
But at least Peter got back on the road and got his life back on track.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I actually can see where Cliff Davis was coming from. That happened in early 1974. Now, consider that they nearly had to cancell the "Kiln House" tour early 1971 and had to cancel the "Bare Trees" tour in mid 1972. This was third time in three years that a major disaster happened on the road, and I'm sure he had had enough. He wanted to put a band out there so that he wouldn't lose what little reputation he had. Ironically, the joke was on him.
That's true. I guess he was fed up with it happening,whatever the reason.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey I have another question for the experts in this forum.WHat were the names of the Members of the "Fake" Mac that went out on the road,and how many shows did they do? That I dont know.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I think it was a fairly daft thing to do, I mean, fans were never going to fall for it
The lack of a fake Christine would have been a give away to even the most casual of fans.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Hey I have another question for the experts in this forum.WHat were the names of the Members of the "Fake" Mac that went out on the road,and how many shows did they do? That I dont know.
David, there is/was a thread right here on the Ledge about this not too long ago...here's a link to Johnny Stew's post:
Johnny Stew's post re bogus Fleetwood Mac members

They only were around for a couple of weeks before injunctions were filed.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re
The lack of a fake Christine would have been a give away to even the most casual of fans.
With as often as Fleetwood Mac changed personnel in those days, a Fleetwood Mac minus Christine wasn't all that implausable. And, that was probably what Clifford Davis was banking on.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
David, there is/was a thread right here on the Ledge about this not too long ago...here's a link to Johnny Stew's post:
Johnny Stew's post re bogus Fleetwood Mac members

They only were around for a couple of weeks before injunctions were filed.
Cool. thank you for that information!