Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The song Fleetwood Mac

I was just digging though my cd collection the other day and I found one of my older Mac cd's with this song on it. I knew I'd heard about it somewhere, so I looked in Mick's book, and I found out that it was the first song Peter, John, and Mick had recorded together in the summer of 1967. I guess you learn something new every day. I guess what I'd be curious to know is do people think this song is a big deal because it was the first song they recorded together or not. I actually really like it even though there arent any words to it.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have it on my ipod. It's a great, groovy instrumental. One of my favorite instrumentals from the late-sixties Mac. According to Mike Vernon, that might be Ainsely (sp?) Dunbar on the drums, not Mick.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 12-28-2005 at 04:03 PM..
Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac song

I concur...I believe it was actually written while the members were still with the Bluesbreakers, and Ansley Dunbar was the drummer with the Bluesbreakers....a very cool instrumental, one of my favorites from that early Mac period.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
I have it on my ipod. It's a great, groovy instrumental. One of my favorite instrumentals from the late-sixties Mac. According to Mike Vernon, that might be Ainsely (sp?) Dunbar on the drums, not Mick.
Very interesting. I hadnt heard the part about Mick before.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's Mick. John Mayall gave Peter Green studio time as a gift, and Green recorded five tracks with McVie and Fleetwood. He called the last track "Fleetwood Mac" in honor of the rhythm section, and actually wrote the song's title on the canister the tape was kept in. (Why would he have called a song that featured Aynsley Dunbar "FLEETWOOD Mac?" That wouldn't make sense.)

Later, when he hooked back up with Mick to form a band, they used the name Fleetwood Mac as a way to con McVie into quitting the Bluesbreakers to join their band. It didn't work, of course. What's especially funny is that they played the song (most likely with McVie in the audience) during their first gig, probably trying to coax him further still. Thank God Mayall decided to add a horn section, or McVie might never have left Mayall.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
It's Mick. John Mayall gave Peter Green studio time as a gift, and Green recorded five tracks with McVie and Fleetwood. He called the last track "Fleetwood Mac" in honor of the rhythm section, and actually wrote the song's title on the canister the tape was kept in. (Why would he have called a song that featured Aynsley Dunbar "FLEETWOOD Mac?" That wouldn't make sense.)

Later, when he hooked back up with Mick to form a band, they used the name Fleetwood Mac as a way to con McVie into quitting the Bluesbreakers to join their band. It didn't work, of course. What's especially funny is that they played the song (most likely with McVie in the audience) during their first gig, probably trying to coax him further still. Thank God Mayall decided to add a horn section, or McVie might never have left Mayall.
So I'd be curious to ask someone like yourself this question, do you find this song to be a really big deal like the beginning of Fleetwood Mac, or just one of the 5 songs that they recorded, and the only thing that made it such a big deal is that Peter wrote Fleetwood Mac on the canister and that's how they got their name?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart So let's share...

Can you post it???
I would love to hear very early Mick/John tunes...

Thanks
~~eclipse~~

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
So I'd be curious to ask someone like yourself this question, do you find this song to be a really big deal like the beginning of Fleetwood Mac, or just one of the 5 songs that they recorded, and the only thing that made it such a big deal is that Peter wrote Fleetwood Mac on the canister and that's how they got their name?

In a word..."Yes".
Old 12-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD

Yeah, I know this story well. But I'd also read Mike Vernon's rubbuttal of it somewhere. I'd like to think you're right, otherwise the "genesis" FM woould be somewhat of a fiction!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I know this story well. But I'd also read Mike Vernon's rubbuttal of it somewhere. I'd like to think you're right, otherwise the "genesis" FM woould be somewhat of a fiction!
I can see where Vernon would get confused. Dunbar played on the tracks "Greeny", "Curly" & "Missing You", which were the other tunes recorded roughly around the same time as "Fleetwood Mac"...and part of the "birthday sessions".
Old 12-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
I can see where Vernon would get confused. Dunbar played on the tracks "Greeny", "Curly" & "Missing You", which were the other tunes recorded roughly around the same time as "Fleetwood Mac"...and part of the "birthday sessions".
Speaking of Aynsley Dunbar...Check him out on the b-side to "Curly",
"Rubber duck". Basically one long drum solo and some riffs from Peter,
and I think that is a reason to why Peter wanted Mick in the band and not
Aynsley - Aynsley was a more flamboyant drummer, like Ginger Baker,
while Mick is more of a group player.

By the way...Dunbar was very close to becoming the drummer in the Jimi Hendrix Experience. They tossed a coin and it came down for Mitch Mitchell instead.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

I just wanted to point out that a recording date of summer 1967 for "Fleetwood Mac" seems to be totally wrong:

I believe they recorded it on April 19,1967:

Bluesbreakers(Mayall, Green, McVie, Fleetwood):

Double Trouble/It Hurts Me Too (Decca single)

omit John Mayall:

Fleetwood Mac
First Train Home
Looking For Somebody
No Place To Go

Happy New Year!

Mario.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
In a word..."Yes".
Maybe that question was a bit confusing. Sorry
Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
I just wanted to point out that a recording date of summer 1967 for "Fleetwood Mac" seems to be totally wrong:

I believe they recorded it on April 19,1967:

Bluesbreakers(Mayall, Green, McVie, Fleetwood):

Double Trouble/It Hurts Me Too (Decca single)

omit John Mayall:

Fleetwood Mac
First Train Home
Looking For Somebody
No Place To Go

Happy New Year!

Mario.
Hmm, thats interesting. Thank you for that information