The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What's your favorite pre-75 album and why?

I know everyone likes to discuss various songs and stuff, so I tought it would be good to bring entire albums into the conversation. My personal favorite would definitely be Future Games. For me, it's the mellow cool vibe of the whole thing that I never get tired of. Mystery To Me is right behind it. Here's how I would rand them if you made me choose.

Future Games
Mystery To Me
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Bare Trees
Kiln House
Then Play On
Penguin

I wasnt sure if I should include things like Engilsh Rose or Pious Bird Of GOod Oman because if I'm not mistaken, they have some of the same songs on them, but if you'd like to feel free!!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Then Play On
Future Games
Bare Trees
Kiln House
Mystery To Me
Heroes Are Hard To Find
Penguin

Mac with Danny beats Mac without Danny every time, I'm afraid - and I'm not Bob Welch's biggest fan despite a few brilliant songs he's done. So I'll go with Then Play On for Peter's brilliance which edges it over Future Games for me. Future Games and Bare Trees rate very closely in my book.

The first two albums (Fleetwood Mac and Mr Wonderful) - I find it impossible to compare these with everything that followed - it just depends what mood I'm in.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never pick favorites as a rule, simply because I have no desire to rank my enjoyment of music. So many of these albums are great in so many different ways. I enjoy them all immensely at different times, in different moods.

That said, the one that I've appreciated the most lately has been Blues Jam at Chess. The playing, by everybody who appears, is just phenomenal throughout, and the studio banter that is included in the reissue makes the sessions feel so wonderfully initmate, like I'm sitting right there in the booth. This is just some classic blues, played with extraordinary feeling and skill.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:15 PM
amber
This message has been deleted by amber.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Future Games
Old 02-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As a whole, I'd say "Future Games." The Welch and Kirwan songs are very strong. Chris's best work on pre BN albums comes later.

But there's also Kiln House, a one-of-a-kind record in its own right.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 02-08-2006 at 12:02 AM..
Old 02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's how I'd rank the pre-1975 albums:

1. Mystery To Me(It's starts with "Emerald Eyes" & ends with "Why" with "Hypnotized" in between. I love Bob & Christine together. The album flows beautifully. There's no filler to be found anywhere on this album. It's my favorite Fleetwood Mac album.)

2. Heroes Are Hard To Find
3. Bare Trees
4. Future Games
5. Then Play On
6. Penguin
7. Mr. Wonderful
Old 02-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57

1. Mystery To Me(It's starts with "Emerald Eyes" & ends with "Why" with "Hypnotized" in between. I love Bob & Christine together. The album flows beautifully. There's no filler to be found anywhere on this album. It's my favorite Fleetwood Mac album.)
What she said.
100%.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I never pick favorites as a rule, simply because I have no desire to rank my enjoyment of music. So many of these albums are great in so many different ways. I enjoy them all immensely at different times, in different moods.

That said, the one that I've appreciated the most lately has been Blues Jam at Chess. The playing, by everybody who appears, is just phenomenal throughout, and the studio banter that is included in the reissue makes the sessions feel so wonderfully initmate, like I'm sitting right there in the booth. This is just some classic blues, played with extraordinary feeling and skill.
Sometimes it changes from Future games and MTM. SO my list fluctuates too.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

NOT a fair question! So, I'll give one answer for the blues years, and one for the rock years, to keep it somewhat fair.

Blues album: English Rose. It got most of the essentials from "Mr. Wonderful" and featured a few singles, and a few Danny Kirwan songs. While all three come of brilliantly, Dany especially shines. "Something Inside Of Me" is one of the greatest guitar songs ever!

Rock album: Future Games. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the Welch-era albums. But, this one just sounds so completely different from the others to my ears. It has a real breathtaking quality to it. I also love how they did some extended jamming in the songs. They went places on this one that they never did before or since. It's one of the few albums (by any artist) that doesn't have a song I don't like on it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57

3. Bare Trees
4. Future Games
5. Then Play On
6. Penguin
7. Mr. Wonderful
I simply love the bulk of MTM, and am nuts about "Emerald Eyes"--a good song in its own right but one made even better by Christine's harmonies on the chorus; they are as delicious as a fine wine. Her vocal presence on "Hypnotized," "Miles Away" and "Somebody" is equally intriguing. Why she didn't contribute more audible harmonies to Welch's "Heroes" tunes is beyond me. I'd love to hear her more, for example, on "Angel" and she should be singing the chorus in "Bermuda Triangle."

BTW: MacFan 57 I noticed your list doesn't include Kiln House anywhere. Mistake or deliberate?

Last edited by aleuzzi; 02-08-2006 at 12:03 AM..
Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
BTW: MacFan 57 I noticed your list doesn't include Kiln House anywhere. Mistake or deliberate?
Oh no! I forgot. Here's my revised list:

1. Mystery To Me
3. Bare Trees
4. Future Games
5. Kiln House(I actually like Jeremy's songs here.)
6. Then Play On
7. Penguin(This album would have been much better as a McVie/Welch album. I don't like those Dave Walker songs at all.)
8. Mr. Wonderful(Love That Burns & Stop Messin' Around are wonderful, but I don't like all those Jeremy Spencer/Elmore James songs.)
Old 02-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How come nobody's lists include Fleetwood Mac (the dog&dustbin album)? it's a pretty wonderful debut, I think.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
How come nobody's lists include Fleetwood Mac (the dog&dustbin album)? it's a pretty wonderful debut, I think.
Indeed! It's a very vital piece of work.

Being a Greeny fan, the post-Green albums are not as essential for me, but great
nonetheless..

1. Then play on (but could have done without "When you say").
2. Dogs and dustbin album
3. English Rose
4. Mr. wonderful (Too many Elmore rip-offs, I know)
5. Bare Trees
6. Future Games
7. Mystery to me (the one with "Why", right? Great great song)
8. Kiln House
9. Penguin
10. Heroes are hard to find
Old 02-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
Why she didn't contribute more audible harmonies to Welch's "Heroes" tunes is beyond me. I'd love to hear her more, for example, on "Angel" and she should be singing the chorus in "Bermuda Triangle."
She DOES sing on the "...Galveston, to New Orleans..." parts on "Bermuda Triangle.

I was thinking about this just this very morning. I think that Christine didn't learn how to REALLY sing backups & harmonies until Lindsey & Stevie joined.

Her harmonies weren't really missed when I first got the albums. Now, when I go back an listen to those pre-1974 albums...I can definitely hear parts she COULD'VE sung.

Oh...and my favorite is whichever one I'm listening to at any given moment. Although, which one do I think is the strongest of them all? Mystery To Me.

Last edited by chiliD; 02-08-2006 at 01:15 PM..
Old 02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a very soft spot for Penguin because it was the first FM album I bought on or around the release date. I think it is a bit weak in places but it holds a special place in my heart.

Mystery to Me is actually my favourite because of the strength of the songs

Gail