Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default San Jose

HI all. First, I want to thank you for having a spoiler thread. I am one of those people who didn't want to know the setlist (I would say set lists, but we all know it's setlist), so it was great to still be able to come to this board and know that I wouldn't by accident see information about the setlist. It has been really hard not to check youtube but I actually did it.

Second, I just want to wish everyone who's going tomorrow a good show. Just remember, most of us never thought we'd see Chris touring again, so even though there is no new CD, and even though you may not have gotten the seats you wanted (I know I didn't), and even though the seats you did get were way way way over priced, and even though the setlist is not mostly the same old songs (and I don't even have to know that setlist to know that ) it's Fleetwood Mac, with Christine.

Enjoy!! I'll post my thoughts later in the week. And Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Kevin
Old 11-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default San Jose 11/25

Review: Fleetwood Mac, Christine McVie delight fans in San Jose

By Jim Harrington. jharrington@bayareanewsgroup.com

Contra Costa Times, November 26, 2014

http://www.contracostatimes.com/brea...light-fans-san

What a difference a McVie makes.

Christine McVie's long-awaited return to Fleetwood Mac, following a 16-year absence, paid huge dividends during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame act's sold-out concert on Tuesday at the SAP Center in San Jose.

It allowed the band to fully recall its commercial and artistic peak of the 1970s, when the voices of McVie, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham combined to make Fleetwood Mac one of the world's biggest bands.

Sure, Nicks has typically received the lioness' share of attention, with Buckingham hogging much of what was left over. Yet, anyone who doubts the importance of McVie's contributions, both on vocals and keyboards, probably didn't catch the band's three previous road shows -- all of which were solid, but not nearly as fulfilling as what Bay Area fans witnessed with the current On with the Show Tour.

Whether you're a longtime fan or a newcomer to the fold, this is definitely the right time to see Fleetwood Mac. Locals will have another shot the group -- Nicks, Buckingham, Christine McVie, drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie -- perform Dec. 3 at Oracle Arena in Oakland.

The tour is all about the hits. Fans get to hear most of the band's best-known songs, minus the pre-Nicks/Buckingham material of the late '60s and early '70s, during a mostly well-paced set that stretches over 2½ hours.

The reunion show kicked off with a triumphant version of "The Chain," the only song credited to all five band members on 1977's 40-million-plus selling "Rumours." The group sounded fantastic, like it had popped in from 1979, as it glided and grooved through some two-dozen pop-rock songs.

The three vocalists took turns in the spotlight, with McVie -- the de facto guest of honor at this party -- going first and crooning a soothing "You Make Loving Fun." Her first line was met with applause from the crowd, obviously thrilled to once again hear her voice.

"I'd just like to say a special thanks to Fleetwood Mac ... for letting me come back and do this," said McVie, 71, who left the band in 1997 citing exhaustion from the band's demanding schedule. "It's unreal."

She bubbled with joy, like a woman who'd just found a lost winning lottery ticket, throughout the evening. She acted like it was a privilege to once again perform songs such as "Everywhere" and "Say You Love Me" -- and it certainly was a privilege to hear her sing them.

The happiest person in the building, however, seemed to be former San Jose State University student Stevie Nicks, who repeatedly told the approximately 14,000 fans in attendance that she was delighted to be back in her old stamping grounds. It was great to hear her talk so warmly -- and specifically -- about San Jose, a city that is routinely referred to as San Francisco during concerts by performers who really should know better.

"This is for all of you in San Jose," Nicks said during the introduction to the gorgeous ballad "Landslide." "Because, you know, this is where the dream began."

Nicks benefits greatly from Christine McVie's presence, which allows her to shoulder less of a load overall and thus pour herself more fully into her lead vocals. She was brilliant on "Rhiannon" and even better on "Sisters of the Moon." Nicks definitely went for broke on "Seven Wonders," a tune from 1987's "Tango in the Night" that gained new life after being used in TV's "American Horror Story: Coven."

The concert wasn't without some problems. The last third of the show dragged on a bit too long, as the band extended some songs well past their worth. Nicks' "Gold Dust Women" should've delivered a concise crescendo, but instead went on and on like a lesser String Cheese Incident cut. Mick Fleetwood's drum solo during "World Turning" was a showstopper -- in all the wrong ways. Buckingham was his usual showboat self on guitar, but he has the talent to get away with it.

In all, however, it was a triumphant return for Fleetwood Mac -- and its soaring "Songbird" Christine McVie.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See San Jose Mercury photos here:

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2014/1...eetwood-mac/#1
Old 11-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Ledgie

I will say that I slightly agree with the World Turning solo. If it were two minutes shorter, it would be perfect. The band could stay on stage and clap as Mick does his thing. Mayyybe Gold Dust Woman could be a minute or so shorter? I love Stevie getting all trance-like, though.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

12/18/2014 Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarahw..._6348328.html#

Sarah WilsonBecome a fan Student, Cabrillo College and self-proclaimed music aficionado

Fleetwood Mac: The Voice of Many Generations

Fleetwood Mac has remained timeless in running rock n' roll for over three decades. Overcoming complicated band romances, Fleetwood Mac continues to tour and excite different generations. Chart topping albums such as 1975's self-titled Fleetwood Mac and 1977's Rumours, still remain pieces of music in the lives in younger and older fans. Their loyal base are ecstatic about the current 2014-2015 tour: On With the Show.

The band's current tour is now joined by keyboardist and songwriter Christine McVie after years of "rumors." McVie plays an important role in Fleetwood Mac's success, but hasn't shared the stage for 16 years. During the 2013 tour, McVie called fellow front woman and songwriter Stevie Nicks to let her know she wanted to come back.

McVie was welcomed with open arms by the rest of Fleetwood Mac. Her comeback created a buzz amongst die-hards -- selling out every show from November 2014 until June 2015. Fans are excited to hear songs such as "You Make Loving Fun," "Songbird," and "Over My Head" that could only be performed by McVie.

Fleetwood Mac has remained timeless in running rock n' roll for over three decades. Overcoming complicated band romances, Fleetwood Mac continues to tour and excite different generations. Chart topping albums such as 1975's self-titled Fleetwood Mac and 1977's Rumours, still remain pieces of music in the lives in younger and older fans. Their loyal base are ecstatic about the current 2014-2015 tour: On With the Show.

The band's current tour is now joined by keyboardist and songwriter Christine McVie after years of "rumors." McVie plays an important role in Fleetwood Mac's success, but hasn't shared the stage for 16 years. During the 2013 tour, McVie called fellow front woman and songwriter Stevie Nicks to let her know she wanted to come back.

McVie was welcomed with open arms by the rest of Fleetwood Mac. Her comeback created a buzz amongst die-hards -- selling out every show from November 2014 until June 2015. Fans are excited to hear songs such as "You Make Loving Fun," "Songbird," and "Over My Head" that could only be performed by McVie.

I was able to catch Fleetwood Mac's On With the Show Tour at the SAP Center in San Jose, California.

Concert goer and long time Fleetwood Mac fan, Joy Negrin, was ecstatic about McVie's return. "I have seen them many times but never with Christine, and it will be amazing to be able to see the songs she sings live for the first time."

The minute the band took the stage it was electric. They opened the show with powerful, familiar bass drum from the 1977 song "The Chain" off the album Rumours. Their powerful vocal harmonies and synchronicity enthralled the crowd and everyone was singing and dancing along.

More of their beloved songs including "Rhiannon", "Say You Love Me", "Landslide", and "Go Your Own Way." were performed. Fleetwood Mac enchanted the stadium with their chemistry, and during certain songs people were moved to tears. They finished with a strong encore with "World Turning", "Don't Stop", and the emotional "Silver Springs", sang by Stevie Nicks.

Between songs band members spoke about experiences with each other. One story that stood out to me was Stevie Nicks' message for her young fans. She shared about when she attended San Jose State University, with her parents' support while simultaneously working on her music career with Lindsey Buckingham. She had her doubts about every becoming successful, but stuck it out for a few more months before her and Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac. She ended the story with a bit of inspiration, "Believe in yourself, and follow your dreams."

Fan Waeva Shenkel, who grew up in the Santa Cruz mountains, has been listening to Fleetwood Mac since she was nine years old. Their music has gotten Shenkel through "all different times of my life, good times and bad."

Seeing that their show was completely sold out, with concert goers ranging from ages 12 to 70, Fleetwood Mac's music is touching people of every age.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood closed the show with the simple reminder: "Be kind to one another."