Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Late LIB Reactions

Well, finally got Live in Boston, for Christmas.

It is certainly a different experience.

Some suprising moments:

Tusk - I wasn't expecting to hear the USC Marching Band. When I did, I figured that they simply sampled that... then I heard Christine shouting "Tusk" with them and had to laugh.

Also, what's up with Lindsey's dancing? Did they ever do this weird stuff during live shows before?

Go Your Own Way - Lindsey's gone crazy by this point... banging the crap out of his guitar... I was afraid he was gonna break it.
(Didn't it end up getting broken later in the tour?)
The grabbing fans are amusing to watch... they're all like... "Must Grab! Must Touch! Nice Guitar!"
Old 12-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got LIB for Christmas also, but I had seen it several times before. After a while, you notice the little things. All of Lindsey's "irregularities", way too many details about Stevie's appearance, playing air instruments, etc. I love it, but I still miss Christine on Don't Stop. It's not the same so I fast forward through Stevie's singing.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just wish the show was available in regular television format instead of wide screen...it makes everything look too wide (especially Stevie's face, it looks stretched out). Also, I notice especially on my first disc that the audio is like, 1/2 a second off from the video, which tends to get a little annoying. It's kind of stange too, because it's like a totally reversal from The Dance between Lindsey and Stevie. Lindsey seemed very cool and conservative on The Dance while Stevie danced around, and here it's backward, which I really don't like. Sometimes during the show I wonder if Lindsey's going through a midlife crisis and is trying to be all flashy while Stevie looks like age is catching up with her. I just remind myself though that The Dance was a recording that happened to be a concert, whereas LIB was a concert that happened to be a recording...if you can see the distinction.

The show isn't bad...it blows the socks off of what most other bands can do in their prime. I don't know though, there's something lackluster about it. It seems sloppy somehow...but I do like it.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer386
The show isn't bad...it blows the socks off of what most other bands can do in their prime. I don't know though, there's something lackluster about it. It seems sloppy somehow...but I do like it.
I feel the same way. It leaves me wanting more but I still enjoy it.

If only Stevie wouldn't do that damn lasso thing. It drives me crazy every time.

Hillary
Old 12-26-2004, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer386
. . . The show isn't bad...it blows the socks off of what most other bands can do in their prime. I don't know though, there's something lackluster about it. It seems sloppy somehow...but I do like it.
Om this day of produced EVERYTHING - it is refreshing to see a live show that is imperfect. I mean The Dance was GREAT - but it was HEAVILY edited, etc. Truth be known - I prefer The Dance, but I really like LIB

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-26-2004, 02:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

I thought the first disc was a bit out of synch too. Must be the pressing/fault of the editors, etc.

It had seemed like everything was overdubbed.

Oh, another one:

Stevie wears in Stand Back the same shawl as the Tango DVD!

I kinda laughed and was suprised that she still has it and still wears it!

Oh, question... on the Wild Heart/Timespace version, who is the 'main' backup vocalist? Is it Sharon or Lori? On the Tango DVD it sounds like one of them. On LIB, it sounds too pure...
Old 12-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden

If only Stevie wouldn't do that damn lasso thing. It drives me crazy every time.
That's crazy!?!?!?! The lasso is what makes the song. It's a hell of a lot better than air guitar.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbt
Stevie wears in Stand Back the same shawl as the Tango DVD!

I kinda laughed and was suprised that she still has it and still wears it!

Similiar, yes. In All Access she said she had a new one made and the old one is out of comission. Now, if the dress would go along with it.....
Old 12-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
It's a hell of a lot better than air guitar.
True. But at least air guitar is to be expected. I'm still racking my brains trying to figure out what the air lasso has to do with "Say You Will," and how the hell she came up with that. It totally surprised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Now, if the dress would go along with it.....
I hear ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I mean The Dance was GREAT - but it was HEAVILY edited, etc.
What was done to it?

Hillary
Old 12-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got LIB for Christmas too! I watched it on PBS over the summer, and it will be awesome to be able to see it all the way through without constant interruptions by people laying a guilt trip on me to send PBS money. Well, except switching discs in the middle of the show, which I STILL don't understand.

I was pleasantly surprised by the package. When it first came out, the whole digipak idea really turned me off. I like DVD cases for some reason -- maybe it's because the pictures on the case are bigger (yes, I sill miss 12" LP covers). But I liked the package, especially the picture under the DVDs that shows the whole stage & the crowd.

My Mom liked it too, but the first thing out of her mouth when she opened it up all the way (to the band onstage pics) was, "Wow -- those are some ugly shoes Stevie is wearing!!!"
Old 12-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . What was done to it?

Hillary
Well, first of all, it was shot in a sound controlled environment as oppsoed to an arena. It was also choreographed and shot in studio lighting and from craneed camera. There were also overdubs (music and voice) and probably digital enhancing of the faces. There was a post (actually several) awhile back about this. It turned into a HUGE LB vs. La Nicks fight (SURPRISE :laugh) - Let me just put is this way, even LB said The Dance was a produced thing and LIB was rawer that that

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Well, first of all, it was shot in a sound controlled environment as oppsoed to an arena. It was also choreographed and shot in studio lighting and from craneed camera. There were also overdubs (music and voice) and probably digital enhancing of the faces. There was a post (actually several) awhile back about this. It turned into a HUGE LB vs. La Nicks fight (SURPRISE :laugh) - Let me just put is this way, even LB said The Dance was a produced thing and LIB was rawer that that
Oh, thanks for the info. I'll have to go look for those posts sometime, too.

Hillary
Old 12-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE Stevie singing "Beautiful Child". Not quite as impressive as seeing it live, but it still brings tears to my eyes. LIB would be worth it to me for that one song alone. Other highlights for me are "Say Goodbye", seeing Lindsey and Stevie singing face to face as if there was no one else in the room....intense! And Lindsey going WILD on "Come". One of the few songs I actually enjoyed listening to him sing, along with the aforementioned one. All in all the concert was enjoyable, but lacked a little spark and spontaneity like The Dance had. But hey it always helps when you get a brand new dvd player/recorder to go along with it!

Last edited by jwd; 12-27-2004 at 01:04 AM..
Old 12-27-2004, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
True. But at least air guitar is to be expected. I'm still racking my brains trying to figure out what the air lasso has to do with "Say You Will," and how the hell she came up with that. It totally surprised me.

I hear ya!
I hate the lasso, too. For some reason that whole dance really embarrasses me.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-27-2004, 04:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

LIB is kinda weird compared to The Dance. I mean, it sounds to me as if it was recorded in almost the same way. The way it was filed is also very similar (with the cranes and such.)

The way it was mixed is waht's the major difference in the sound. The Dance has a very nice warm rounded sound to it. I don't really know how to describe LIB.

Anyways, about some specific songs...

Don't Stop -- Missing Christine is obvious... then there's the fact that Brett doesn't play it anything like her! (People who read my posts should know I don't like how he plays her parts). Also, I really wonder why Stevie sings the wrong lyrics to Chris's part... One would think she'd know the words after all these years.

Stand Back -- This one sounds awesome, and is an exception to most of the cases. However, this is a Stevie solo song, not a FM song. Brett actually plays this VERY well. (At least, more accurately than Christine ever did, but I like her cute variation on it). I'll have to look it up and see if he ever was solo Stevie's keyboardist... or one of them. Plus, I can't hear Lindsey really doing anything.

For those who don't know, I'm a keyboardist myself. That's why I'm so darned picky. Though I'm sure those of you who have seen the Tango DVD era stuff know what I mean, with Rick and Billy doing Lindsey's stuff.