Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick wants: John, Jeremy & PG Reunion

From the K-hits 96 radio website

http://www.k-hits.com/musicnews/story.aspx?ID=1186831

Out now on DVD is the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band's live disc Blue Again. The set was recorded in concert on October 25th, 2008 at the Marlowe Theater in Kent, England and features latter-day Fleetwood Mac bandmember Rick Vito on lead guitar. The band tackles such early-classic Mac classics as "Albatross," "Oh Well," "Black Magic Woman" and "Rattlesnake Shake," among others.

Fleetwood admits that there's nothing he wants more than for he and John McVie to reunite with Fleetwood Mac cofounders Jeremy Spencer and Peter Green: "I am actually talking to Peter about doing, making some music, and in truth, we're finding out whether anyone's interested in, in -- whether they want us to make some music, 'cause there's no point in making music if you can't get a record label to do it. I am actually trying quite hard to put those musicians in a studio."
Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Junior Ledgie

this is what really upsets me, if people knew about the original fleetwood mac then ya they'd want this! The problem is they've been burried by the popularity of the post peter green mac that its impossible to even go into a best buy and buy a fleetwood mac record with peter green on it.

I want this bad, but I feel like i'm the only one. We need to get the word out we need to make this happen, because like Mick is saying its not going to happen unless we wat it too!!!!!!

Here is a facebook page, so if you have a facebook join this group!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=260401504199

Last edited by WithoutYou; 01-20-2010 at 10:20 PM..
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When you get right down to it, it doesn't matter a bit how much anyone else wants a reunion to happen. Unless Mick, John, Peter, and Jeremy all want it, it means nothing. And as far as I know, the only one of them who has publicly shown any real interest in such a reunion is Mick. So I think the probability of it happening is very slim indeed. And frankly, that's ok with me. They did what they did together, but that's in the past and can't be recreated. I doubt that Peter or Jeremy (or John or Mick for that matter) need that kind of pressure in their lives. I'd be much happeir to see them continue to play the music they want with the people they want, not try to live in the past. If they decide they really want to all play together again, wonderful - and they might make some terrific new music together - but that should only be because that's what they all want, not because that's what some of their fans want.

If you want more people to know about the original Fleetwood Mac, play them that music. A reunion can never recreate that, as much as some people would like it to.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Sharksfan.
And this line pretty much sums up Mick's commercial leanings:

"'cause there's no point in making music if you can't get a record label to do it."

Which has always been different to Peter's attitude - he's out there playing now seemingly only for enjoyment.
Though some tracks in a studio, no pressure, would maybe be possible, some blues covers...who knows.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Elephant in the porcelain-shop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I agree with Sharksfan.
And this line pretty much sums up Mick's commercial leanings:

"'cause there's no point in making music if you can't get a record label to do it."

Which has always been different to Peter's attitude - he's out there playing now seemingly only for enjoyment.
Though some tracks in a studio, no pressure, would maybe be possible, some blues covers...who knows.
I think I agree with dino and Sharksfan. I saw Mick and the Bluesband last year, and his drumming alone would smother PG and his famous tone completely. Not just the volume, because that can be fixed but his dominance and the way he "fills" the stage. I think PG has to play with musicians who listens. He is into sublety now. In the forty years gone they have developed into two very different musicians. It's sad because then they were so good together.

Ms Moose
Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

A couple of months ago when Jeremy was here answering questions, I asked him 'If asked, would you re-join Fleetwood Mac?' His answer was 'If asked, no' I know this idea would not be quite the same as joining the current line-up of Fleetwood Mac, but I have a feeling that he would not want to commercially work with Mick. Not saying he wouldn't like a jam session though!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MICK:
The only one who's been really talking about this in media... It seems strange to me that he's been talking about reunion for years now, if it was only something he himself was dreaming of. So I guess, at least he must have made a few phonecalls to the others and had some positive feedback.

JOHN:
I don't know... I somehow feel that he would go along and f0ll0w Mick in whatever happens. They've always been together...

PETER:
We're all worried about the pressure on Peter's shoulders in a situation like that. However, I do think Peter would have handled it nowadays. Don't know why.. I just think!

JEREMY:
I have had the impression Jeremy's the one most reluctant. (i.e. since Peter started playing again in the 90s). That was until recently, when he wrote at the Ledge that there had been plans of a reunion in the Royal Albert Hall. I got the impression that he had said yes, and then something got in the way and the whole thing was cancelled. I wonder what the plans were? Who was in charge? How far did they get? Did they meet? Rehearse? What happened? Why was it cancelled?

DANNY:
No.
(Hope he's doing ok... not much news lately)

I do think Mick, Jeremy, Peter and John could have got togther in a studio and made fantastic stuff.
I do think Mick would be wise enough to not overplay and ruin Peter's mellow style.
Regarding Peter's style and approach these days, we here at the Ledge know that it is completely different from 40 years ago (of course it is!!!) The same goes for Jeremy! But Peter's the one people are gonna look at in search for a guitar hero. But he's not gonna give them that. (At least not according to their definition of a guitar hero.)

The thing is, I don't think Jeremy or Peter have that much interest in doing a "retro-show"... so apart from a few Fleetwood Mac classics, I think some blues standards (or even better.. some new originals) would have worked better.
I think a studio session and some low-key gigs would have been the way to do this... just the four of them having fun.

Anyway, I am glad for everything new ... Jeremy Spencer solo and Peter Green & Friends!

As for reunions (or near-reunions) over the years:
1971: Peter touring with F.Mac in 1971 after Jeremy leaving
1973: Peter playing on Nightwatch (Penguin album)
1979: Peter playing on Brown Eyes (Tusk album)
1981: Peter playing on Rattlesnake Shake and Super Brains (Mick's The Visitor LP)
1995: Jeremy playing with Fleetwood Mac onstage in Japan. Bootlegs, anybody?????
2001: Peter, John and Mick playing on Yo Yo Man (John Mayall's Along For The Ride)
2003: Jeremy and Mick playing Maria de Santiago (instrumental version) on Gaia (various artists album)
2004: Jeremy, John and Mick playing on No Borders (Mick's Something Big album)
2008-9 ? : Jeremy, John and Mick playing together during their meeting in the Man Of The World DVD (Peter Green documentary). Recorded at Mick's home??
Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
The thing is, I don't think Jeremy or Peter have that much interest in doing a "retro-show"... so apart from a few Fleetwood Mac classics, I think some blues standards (or even better.. some new originals) would have worked better.
Very true - If they did get together I'm sure Peter and Jeremy would insist on not doing the "old" material, except perhaps one or two numbers.

Quote:
I think a studio session and some low-key gigs would have been the way to do this... just the four of them having fun.

2008-9 ? : Jeremy, John and Mick playing together during their meeting in the Man Of The World DVD (Peter Green documentary). Recorded at Mick's home??
This is probably the scenario I could see the four of them playing together again....no live audience, no pressure, just having fun and playing what they feel like playing. I still think the odds are against it, but who knows?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
JOHN:
I don't know... I somehow feel that he would go along and f0ll0w Mick in whatever happens. They've always been together...
Hmm...not necessarily. He didn't last very long in the MFBB did he?

Quote:
2004: Jeremy, John and Mick playing on No Borders (Mick's Something Big album)
Talking of No Borders - apparently (and you'll have to dig around on iTunes) Mick, John, Jeremy and Todd Smallwood also played on Safe In Your Heart from the "No Borders Records - Music Without Boundaries" album.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
This is probably the scenario I could see the four of them playing together again....no live audience, no pressure, just having fun and playing what they feel like playing. I still think the odds are against it, but who knows?
Yes, I don't think it will happen...
Same goes with The Byrds.
The Kinks... maaaaaayybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Talking of No Borders - apparently (and you'll have to dig around on iTunes) Mick, John, Jeremy and Todd Smallwood also played on Safe In Your Heart from the "No Borders Records - Music Without Boundaries" album.
REALLY???
Thank you so much for that info!
Was it released on a CD?
I'm going to check that one out.

Regarding a possible reunion, the worst thing that could happen is if they brought in a third guitarist (other than DK, of course) to supply juicy licks and "cover up for Peter".
Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
REALLY???
Thank you so much for that info!
Was it released on a CD?
I'm going to check that one out.
Well John (wetcamelfood) and I were trying to work this one out a month or so back without much success. As far as we can see, the Music Without Boundaries album was an iTunes (or at least mp3 version) release only.

Also has a track off Something Big on it (credited as Fleetwood Smallwood), which makes me think that the "Safe In Your Heart" track was just a Something Big track that never made it to the album. Perhaps Jeremy could enlighten us.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Regarding a possible reunion, the worst thing that could happen is if they brought in a third guitarist (other than DK, of course) to supply juicy licks and "cover up for Peter".
Hmm...should have answered this in my last post but missed this bit...

I think it would be okay if it was Rick Vito, he seems to hold Peter in high esteem and has covered several of his songs in his solo work and MFBB work.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Hmm...should have answered this in my last post but missed this bit...

I think it would be okay if it was Rick Vito, he seems to hold Peter in high esteem and has covered several of his songs in his solo work and MFBB work.
I'm sure the current Peter Green doesn't need to be "covered"

But, this apart, this stuff isn't any good for Peter....

Mario.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not for putting water on fire, but as far as I know Mick hasn't spoken to Peter directly about reforming the Mac.

I may be wrong, but this reunion isn't going to happen, we will see...
Mario.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mario: "...as far as I know Mick hasn't spoken to Peter directly about reforming the Mac."
Yeah, and that it what puzzles me about Mick. Why he several times has talked to the media about a reunion if it's only in his own imagination. It seems rather unproffessional to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
I may be wrong, but this reunion isn't going to happen, we will see...
It probably won't.

One thing about Fleetwood Mac, though, compared to many other bands, is that all members are still alive today!

Last edited by dansven; 01-24-2010 at 05:31 PM..