Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Four Hour Black Magic Woman

I just watched The Peter Green Story on Youtube today, and I was astounded to learn that FM performed a 4 hour long version of Black Magic Woman on the tour where Peter came back after Jeremy took off to join the cult.

The comment was made by the band's manager at the time, who claims to have witnessed this stunning performance. His claim appears in the final portion of the documentary, I think somewhere toward the middle.

My question is, "Is this even concievably true?" Four hours?? Really? Do any tapes of this gargantuan accomplishment exist? Is there anyone who was there that can substantiate this claim?

Don't get me wrong, I don't dispute that extremely long "jam" versions can exist of great songs. I just question the specific time element given in this case.

If indeed it does exist, I would absolutely love to know where I could get a copy of it. I'd love to hear it.

Can anyone help me here?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Can't help you on "proof" but I doubt this ever happened (and least the way Davis says), as he is the only one to make this claim (he also made the claim in the Brunning book too).

For starters he plants a myth in the book & doc about how the place erupted when he went in to the notes of BMW with the comment about it being PG's way of saying "I'm Peter Green & I'm back".

This gig supossedly happened in the US and not to say Peter had no followers there but FM just didn't have the following they/he had outside of the US so that right there would tell us it wasn't this uproarious response he's trying to get us to believe.

Also, BMW or not, a 4 hour jam is long enough for a band that specialized in jams like the Dead, let alone one that doesn't/didn't (based on what Mick & John have said about them) like FM, maybe if they built up to performing a long one like this over time it'd be possible but to be on board with Pete on the spur of the moment to follow through on one like this, even if Mick & John had also taken a drug of some kind to give them enough energy to join in on this I also find hard to believe. I don't have the doc or book in front of me but I do recall his insinuation was that "they" played it and not just PG on his own & he'd have me believing him more if he said it was just Pete but I don't think he did.

I'll still keep the possibility open in my mind but as of now I'm doubtful. However, I'll be interested to see what the other posters feel about this as they may have evidence I'm not aware of regarding this "happening".

John
Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Ledgie

Default Four hour Black Magic Woman

The performance that Davis/Adams spoke of in the Peter Green Story documentary did actually happen, it's been verified by many over the years. What he said was slightly misleading, in fact the whole show lasted in the area of four hours, and there were only one or two versions of BMW lasting up to 45 minutes each. When Peter joined the Kiln House tour to temporarily replace Jeremy Spencer, he said that he didn't want to do any singing and as a result the band decided to do a completely instrumental tour. This was mentioned in some publication by Christine Mcvie, who also stated that they did versions of BMW up to 45 minutes long, and that this is when she really learned how to jam. This concert took place at the Filmore East in the spring of 1971, Apri? May? I forget the actual date, but anyone who has ever claimed to have been there, speaks of it with holy reverence, it was obviously a mind blowing performance. It was also taped, so the legend goes, and this tape has become one of the Peter Green "Holy Grails", along with the Munich tapes of course.. I spoke with someone who claimed to have heard it, and he said that the sound quality was so bad that the only value is historical. I have heard of many extended jams of BMW that Peter was supposed to have performed, somtimes with other greats like Duane Allman, Gerry Garcia, and yes, even Carlos Santana before he recorded his version. I have yet to find any of these mythical bootlegs, but the rumors persist.

Evan
Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The description about the rumoured tape fits the February 26 1971 show from Fillmore East. There's no BMW on that one, though. Also, Christine and Danny sing at least one tune each, so obviously it wasn't an all instrumenal tour.

Last edited by dino; 08-31-2009 at 12:09 PM..
Old 08-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Morris View Post
The performance that Davis/Adams spoke of in the Peter Green Story documentary did actually happen, it's been verified by many over the years. What he said was slightly misleading, in fact the whole show lasted in the area of four hours, and there were only one or two versions of BMW lasting up to 45 minutes each. When Peter joined the Kiln House tour to temporarily replace Jeremy Spencer, he said that he didn't want to do any singing and as a result the band decided to do a completely instrumental tour. This was mentioned in some publication by Christine Mcvie, who also stated that they did versions of BMW up to 45 minutes long, and that this is when she really learned how to jam. This concert took place at the Filmore East in the spring of 1971, Apri? May? I forget the actual date, but anyone who has ever claimed to have been there, speaks of it with holy reverence, it was obviously a mind blowing performance. It was also taped, so the legend goes, and this tape has become one of the Peter Green "Holy Grails", along with the Munich tapes of course.. I spoke with someone who claimed to have heard it, and he said that the sound quality was so bad that the only value is historical. I have heard of many extended jams of BMW that Peter was supposed to have performed, somtimes with other greats like Duane Allman, Gerry Garcia, and yes, even Carlos Santana before he recorded his version. I have yet to find any of these mythical bootlegs, but the rumors persist.

Evan
Yeah I knew this, I was just answering the original poster's question specifically regarding a 4 hour BMW, and that I doubt exists.

John
Old 08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default four hour jams

I was not at that FM concert
I was outside the stage door at the immortal Dead/Alman/ FM jm on 2/11

that one lasted almost an hour

I was at the dead concert the following night and the late show ended at dawn

It was not unusual for an extended jam to last for a very long time in that period I was at a few. The song may have started somewhere and went into whatever the mood struck. If it was possible to maintain the creativity to keep it going it could go on. I know from listening to Peter G play , if the muse i not there he ends it. Could he have lasted and been that creative for so long. If anyone could have done it it would have been him. I have heard mountain Jam go on interminably, I have heard Jefferson airplane with guests steven stillls and neil young beat a dead horse for quite a while.
the existing tapes from that night and the rock pile the following days are horribly distorted and only a small portion of the sets. From what Mr C said BMW kicked off rater early in the set and that was it for the set.
PG only Played rithym guitar in the California recording (San Bernadino)

doodyhead

Last edited by doodyhead; 08-31-2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Mountain Jam"

It's been re-posted here in the past few months, an Allman Brothers fan present at The Warehouse in New Orleans posted on another site that he witnessed a three hour "Mountain Jam" with Peter Green that began at midnight. They played until the drummers could play no more. This happened after Peter left FM around 11/70.

If you want to verify the Fillmore East show in '71, you have to talk to those people who attended any show on the hippie ballroom circuit around that time just for the experience. More than likely they're Deadheads, or Allmans fans, but I'm sure there are a few who are open minded enough to know a great band when they saw it. I'm sure FM made quite an impression.

Last edited by slipkid; 09-01-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Morris View Post

Evan
Thank you very much. I appreciate the information. I found it very hard to believe and thought it was probably much like you described.

Thanks again.