Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Judy Wong

What is the story with FM and Judy Wong? Weren't they really close at one time and then had a major falling out? If anyone knows can you fill me and some others in? TIA guys.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

To the best of my knowledge, Judy never had a falling out with the band. She was simply wedged out of the inner circle like so many others: Richard Dashut, Ken Caillat, Sara Fleetwood, Herbert Worthington, Bob Welch, John Courage, Keith Olsen... I could go on. It's always been odd to me how FM desperately clings to their past when it comes to their live shows- running Rumours into the ground, the whole love act between Stevie and Lindsey; yet they have systematically cleared themselves of any actual people who were just as integral to their history & success as the music itself.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine's explanation from a 1987 interview

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?p=1052386

“I was pestering him all the way right by his shoulder and nothing went to Tango in the Night that we all didn’t like.

“For example, if Lindsey went too left-wing on occasions I’d tell him. It was like he was a tyrant and what he said went.”

A small dedication to Judy Wong in the album offers an interesting insight into the current Mac touring party.

“Judy was Mac’s secretary for 18 years, but now we have closed the Mac offices and so Judy became redundant. Because of our solo careers we all have our own managers, secretaries and lawyers.

“On our private plane there are 23 people and there’s a road crew of 28. There’s actually hundreds of us,” McVie laughs again. “It’s like Disneyland.”

But the Mac travelling show is up and running again and they are loving it.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Judy never had a falling out with the band. She was simply wedged out of the inner circle like so many others: Richard Dashut, Ken Caillat, Sara Fleetwood, Herbert Worthington, Bob Welch, John Courage, Keith Olsen... I could go on. It's always been odd to me how FM desperately clings to their past when it comes to their live shows- running Rumours into the ground, the whole love act between Stevie and Lindsey; yet they have systematically cleared themselves of any actual people who were just as integral to their history & success as the music itself.
like most of us, i really have no clue and can just speculate - but a lot of it can be possibly explained by stuff like the quotes jenniferuk pasted below - their business moved on, with all separate managers and handlers, and some of these listed people started working in different directions (Keith Olsen comes to mind). people have their own lives and pursue different things; but i do know that John Courage for example has recently hung out a lot with the band while they were in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
“Judy was Mac’s secretary for 18 years, but now we have closed the Mac offices and so Judy became redundant. Because of our solo careers we all have our own managers, secretaries and lawyers.

On our private plane there are 23 people and there’s a road crew of 28. There’s actually hundreds of us,” McVie laughs again. “It’s like Disneyland.”
also, some band members seem to have more affinity for a large entourage that hasn't changed for decades while others seem to move on with their lives, and while still having the perks of rich and famous maybe live more family-oriented, down to earth and less glamorous lives.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Registered

Judy was a very close friend to the band. She sadly passed away a few years back.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
like most of us, i really have no clue and can just speculate - but a lot of it can be possibly explained by stuff like the quotes jenniferuk pasted below - their business moved on, with all separate managers and handlers, and some of these listed people started working in different directions (Keith Olsen comes to mind). people have their own lives and pursue different things; but i do know that John Courage for example has recently hung out a lot with the band while they were in the UK.

also, some band members seem to have more affinity for a large entourage that hasn't changed for decades while others seem to move on with their lives, and while still having the perks of rich and famous maybe live more family-oriented, down to earth and less glamorous lives.
Who are you referring to???? lol
Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Ledgie

I read somewhere (can't remember where I found it!) that Judy asked individually each member of FM for help, and they all turned her down. She died alone and wasn't found for a substantial amount of time.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalline_ View Post
I read somewhere (can't remember where I found it!) that Judy asked individually each member of FM for help, and they all turned her down. She died alone and wasn't found for a substantial amount of time.
I'm certain that they've fallen on hard times, and couldn't afford to give her anything.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm certain that they've fallen on hard times, and couldn't afford to give her anything.
I'll never even begin to guess their reasoning. It was clearly a very personal time. But what happened, happened sadly.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a link to a website from her (late) ex-husband Glenn Cornick from Jethro Tullwith some info on Judy Wong and some fabulous photos from Baron Wolman: http://www.cornick.org/gallery/judytributealbum
Judy died sometime in March 2005 and it sadly took some time before she was found. Apparently the band took care of all the funeral arrangements but Mick was the only one who showed up at her memorial.
I remember that after her death tons and tons of rare expensive band photos popped up on Ebay, the so-called "Judy Wong collection".

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In an interview Ken said:

Quote:
There was no responsibility for anybody to take care of anybody else, but they are rich and some of the people like Judy Wong … she was found in her apartment after being dead for a week. Judy did everything for Christine McVie and the band, and for her not to be given whatever she needed … she died toothless.
I remember we discussed it, back when he said that. The thing is, you never know how many times someone has been bailed out before, just because they weren't bailed out in the end. I don't jump to any conclusions about who should have done more.

Michele
Old 08-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalline_ View Post
Yes I read that too - I think it was the Life mag special edition.I wonder what she died from.I'm thinking drugs but it's just a speculation.And I agree that we don't know how many times she was bailed out prior to her death.Thanks for the info and links guys.If anyone has any more info/insight please post!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

An old post from the SHN portion of this site that you might find interesting:
http://www.shn.fleetwoodmac.net/inde..._v2&id=251&c=1

Judy Wong has passed away
Poster: Penguin

We wanted to confirm that longtime friend and associate of the band, Judy Wong, passed away last week. She'd had heart problems for years, and had a massive heart attack ten years ago, and was having some health issues as of late. She was hospitalized, but checked herself out against doctor's advice, and unfortunately died at home. Judy was responsible for introducing Bob Welch to Fleetwood Mac, and worked for them 'behind the scenes' for many years, in their offices and on their tourbooks. Bob Welch says Mick Fleetwood is in the process of trying to get a memorial together for her, as she really had no family.
We here at the Penguin would like to say how sorry we are to hear of her passing, and we thank her for her role in looking after the people in the band we all love so much. Our condolences to all who knew and loved her; she will certainly be missed.

Judy's former husband and longtime friend Glenn Cornick created a beautiful photo gallery in tribute to her at :

http://www.cornick.org/gallery/albums.php

Many thanks to Glenn for letting us know about it.

Also we received this letter from a cousin of Judy's, and appreciate her sharing some recollections of Judy's life with us.

Dear Mr. Adelson: Judy Wong does indeed have a family. I am her cousin, Candy Jung, and I live in Sacramento. We were first cousins and grew up together. Her brother, Corby, also lives in Sacramento, and we were notified by the Coroner's office on Saturday of her death. We are contacting the Coroner's office on Monday to bring Judy home if we can. She also leaves several surviving cousins and an aunt. I am writing this to correct the assumption that she was without family.

Judy's accomplishments included attending the University of California, Berkeley, and being the owner and clothing designer of Passionflower, a fashion boutique in North Beach in San Francisco that garnered a well-received review in Women's Wear Daily. Janis Joplin was a personal friend and customer.

When Judy lived in San Francisco, her roommates were the twins, Jenny and Patti Boyd, one of whom married George Harrison and then Eric Clapton. Judy befriended Eric Burdon, Paul McCartney, the Kinks, and, of course, married Glenn Cornick of the Jethro Tull. Her association with Fleetwood Mac was one of the happiest and most fulfilling periods in her life, both professionally and personally.

Judy was kind, spiritual, and an exceptionally loyal friend. Our family is grateful for your poster in Second Hand News in bringing public attention and recognition to someone we greatly loved and treasured.

Candy Jung
Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks so much Jenniferuk - a whole lotta info in your post! I didn't realize you guys had a previous thread about this - must have been before my time.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
An old post from the SHN portion of this site that you might find interesting:
Oh, thanks. I loved the cousin's message. I didn't know that about Judy's early days with the Boyd sisters (not twins, in fact Patty gave Jenny her nickname). That must have been quite a time. So many of them led such colorful lives leading up to their stardom, when they were just musicians and the musically-inclined hanging out at each other's pads.

Michele