The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like Neil's voice on Fall at Your Feet. He has a distinct voice. Thanks for the links, sugar mouse!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

@Sugar Mouse you appear to know so much Australia/NZ music, I would've assumed you'd lived here for some time lol.

Probably going a bit off track here, but re Jimmy Barnes - he's from my local city. One of the original wild and raucous rock'n'rollers. These days I think he does too much screaming rather than singing for my tastes. But I really liked his work with Cold Chisel. Not sure if you know of them as well, but they had some very well written songs by Don Walker. Jimmy and Ian Moss also did excellent snging together. You might enjoy some of their work.

Cold Chisel - When The War Is Over

I checked out Neil and Jimmy's duet version of 'Lola'! Liked the parts where Jimmy was singing in tune with Neil. Then he just can't help himself - he has to go into full rock belt. That's Jimmy though. He's a 'character'.

Then there's this version of 'Oh Well' with Mick Fleetwood's band. Mick seems to be quite a fan. So yes it's a small world.

Mick Fleetwood's Blues Band (ft. Jimmy Barnes) - Oh Well (Sydney, 03.28.2016)

Last edited by Missy; 05-26-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Old 05-28-2018, 12:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I really like Neil's voice on Fall at Your Feet. He has a distinct voice. Thanks for the links, sugar mouse!
I think Paul Kelly called it an 'Irish tenor' voice (Neil's mother Mary, nee Mullane, was born in Ireland and emigrated to New Zealand at age of two.)

There's obviously a Lennonesque influence in there too sometimes, but he has his own style.

Sometimes I think he can get to a near baritone, and in harmony he has a good higher range. The Finns have been noted for their harmonic singing and all of them seem to be multitalented and musical.