User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2024, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default NEW Best of Fleetwood Mac 1969-1974

Hey hey!
Rhino just announced the release of a "new" FM Best of 1969-1974, to be out on July 26th. I think it's nothing very very "new" as we had the release of Fleetwood Mac 1969-1974 in 2020, but that was about the albums from that period...It sounds like the same, but it's not the same indeed!
I see there's not a different playlist. No Earl Grey, no album version of Sands Of Time, BUT! But, finally Sunny Side Of Heaven is on it! I like it. I think Bare Trees and Mystery To Me are VERY well represented
You can read more here!

https://www.fleetwoodmacnews.com/202...1969-1974.html
Old 05-18-2024, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

THE BEST OF FLEETWOOD MAC (1969-1974)
CD Track Listing

“Oh Well – Pt. 1”
“Rattlesnake Shake”
“The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)”
“Station Man”
“Jewel Eyed Judy”
“Tell Me All The Things You Do”
“Future Games”
“Sands Of Time” – Single Version
“Sunny Side Of Heaven”
“Bare Trees”
“Sentimental Lady”
“Spare Me A Little Of Your Love”
“Remember Me”
“Did You Ever Love Me”
“Emerald Eyes”
“Hypnotized”
“Heroes Are Hard To Find”
“Angel”
“Prove Your Love”

At this point I honestly think that the powers that be are all colluding to prevent "Why" being known to a wider public. Maybe it's too long to go on without having to ditch two other tracks. Or maybe it's just the worst song they ever recorded and I've been deluded all these years.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder why they bothered. I mean, who do they imagine would buy this? Certainly, the most-inclined to buy would already be familiar with the pre-1975 work...

The 2020 reissue was great because it valued the individual albums/projects. FM has never been a band that was well-suited to "Best Of" compilations--unless you focused on one particular lineup. And since the 1969-74 period was pretty much a revolving door, and since each one of those records sounds noticeably different than its predecessor, culling 2-3 songs from each for a compilation doesn't really make sense to me.

Now, if the collection offered unreleased material and/or live recordings and/or alternate versions or mixes not yet heard, THAT would be welcome to the already-established (and modest) fan base.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I wonder why they bothered. I mean, who do they imagine would buy this? Certainly, the most-inclined to buy would already be familiar with the pre-1975 work...

The 2020 reissue was great because it valued the individual albums/projects. FM has never been a band that was well-suited to "Best Of" compilations--unless you focused on one particular lineup. And since the 1969-74 period was pretty much a revolving door, and since each one of those records sounds noticeably different than its predecessor, culling 2-3 songs from each for a compilation doesn't really make sense to me.

Now, if the collection offered unreleased material and/or live recordings and/or alternate versions or mixes not yet heard, THAT would be welcome to the already-established (and modest) fan base.
A good point, well made. They should have done this 30 years ago. I remember it was quite difficult to find the six albums from Kiln House to HAHTF in the UK back then; pre-internet it was frustrating to not even know what they sounded like. Mystery to Me was the first one I found and I was intrigued with it from the opening of Emerald Eyes; Christine's songs without Lindsey and Stevie 's input could sound sparer but on occasion (see below) were even more beautiful. A Fleetwood Mac that was neither fish nor fowl was fascinating to me.

I half-take back my beef about Why. It closed the 4 disc 1992 The Chain box-set and was also on the 2-disc set.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post

I half-take back my beef about Why. It closed the 4 disc 1992 The Chain box-set and was also on the 2-disc set.

It should still be on 'Best of'
Its amongst the best of the best.
Curious decision.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-19-2024, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I concur its hard to know who this is aimed at.
My immediate thought was...no Black Magic Woman? No I Loved Another Woman etc.
Then I thought it should be broken down into 2 releases; 67-70, 70-74.
But then, there are so many 67-70 compilations, so a bit pointless.
Think they could have just focused on a Best of 70-74 and filled it out with more gems from that period, including the aforementioned Why etc.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-19-2024, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth, aleuzzi - this is exactly what I thought on that matter. How many more so-called "Best Of"s do we really need?! Those are the all too well-known mechanisms of the music industry that we encounter again and again all over the place. And - oh wonder of wonders! - somehow it actually seems to pay off for them . . . although I'll never understand why.

Unreleased and alternate high quality material is always very welcome . . . on the other hand it certainly couldn't be termed a "Best Of" then. In general "Best Of"s are a problematic affair anyway, as opinions on which selections would qualify for such a compilation are clearly a matter of individual taste. But with bands like the Mac, more of that is just carrying coals to Newcastle . . . or owls to Athens, innit?! For my money anyway.

Last edited by lazy poker; 05-20-2024 at 05:24 AM..
Old 05-20-2024, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I knew it...I truly knew it!! I knew that one of the main discussions on it would be the not-inclusion of Why on the setlist.
Was it that good? Tell me, please! Because I still can't find it, but it's just my very very personal opinion...

And reading to you, I think that one day FM, Rhino and stuff would release not a "Best Of" but a "Worse Of". Can you imagine it?? A compilation full of those songs we always discuss if they're underrated or not, if they're really that bad or not...We even can create our own possible playlists!!
Old 05-20-2024, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm shocked that Rhino is investing in doing this. Although, I guess it's really not much of an investment to whip up the packaging and pull together a compilation. I doubt it will sell nearly as well as the live Forum set from last year. What a head scratcher.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I bought the five disc set a couple of years ago. I'm done with buying the same songs, over and over(pun).
Old 05-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I knew it...I truly knew it!! I knew that one of the main discussions on it would be the not-inclusion of Why on the setlist.
Was it that good? Tell me, please! Because I still can't find it, but it's just my very very personal opinion...
Haha, my fault (as always). It just speaks to me in a very personal way. Weston's guitar is sublime, Christine only sings for about a minute and a half of the song but somehow commands it, Bob & Chris's voices bcome one in the third verse, the strings, the outro and as Mick mentioned to me when I asked him about it " and oh, the percussion!".

The album cover is terrible though. Was the intern let loose on the stock images?

https://www.rhino.com/article/fleetw...74-compilation

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 05-20-2024 at 05:00 PM..
Old 05-20-2024, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haha, my fault (as always). It just speaks to me in a very personal way. Weston's guitar is sublime, Christine only sings for about a minute and a half of the song but somehow commands it, Bob & Chris's voices bcome one in the third verse, the strings, the outro and as Mick mentioned to me when I asked him about it " and oh, the percussion!".

The album cover is terrible though. Was the intern let loose on the stock images?

It looks reminiscent of all those live bootleg releases of those times.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
THE BEST OF FLEETWOOD MAC (1969-1974)
CD Track Listing

“Oh Well – Pt. 1”
“Rattlesnake Shake”
“The Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown)”
“Station Man”
“Jewel Eyed Judy”
“Tell Me All The Things You Do”
“Future Games”
“Sands Of Time” – Single Version
“Sunny Side Of Heaven”
“Bare Trees”
“Sentimental Lady”
“Spare Me A Little Of Your Love”
“Remember Me”
“Did You Ever Love Me”
“Emerald Eyes”
“Hypnotized”
“Heroes Are Hard To Find”
“Angel”
“Prove Your Love”
That's a great track list. It's very close to what I would have selected, although I agree that "Why" is a noticeable snub. Perhaps it could have replaced "Spare Me a Little of Your Love" to make for an even split of three Bare Trees songs and three Mystery to Me songs.

I'm not sure if "Angel" is the best representation of Welch's work on Heroes are Hard to Find. "She's Changing Me" and "Bermuda Triangle" would be slightly better selections in my opinion, but this is only a minor nitpick.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Oh, no no, I'm not telling it about you! It's just that the whole forum loves the song, and I'm the only exception to the rule, but I respect it of course...
In fact, I think its not inclusion on the setlist probably opened the door to other songs, and to the people to listen to other songs which were not included before...Don't know which ones, but some...

The album cover looks fine for me...Looks like an old pic, taken in the 60s or 70s maybe...Gives to the album a little..."mystique"?, more than if the picture was more recent
Old 05-21-2024, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Oh, no no, I'm not telling it about you! It's just that the whole forum loves the song, and I'm the only exception to the rule, but I respect it of course...
Not the whole forum. I like Why but don't love it. There is no logic in musical tastes. Many people don't like One More Night. I adore it. I like One More Night, Over and Over far more than Why. There are lot of examples of songs I like that many ledgies don't. And vice versa.