User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Roberts states he will respect precedent re: abortion

Roberts to abide by Stare Decisis

Roberts: Precedent Settles Abortion Ruling By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Supreme Court nominee John Roberts said Tuesday that the landmark 1973 ruling legalizing abortion was "settled as a precedent," as he was immediately pressed to address the divisive issue on the second day of his confirmation hearings.

"It's settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis," the concept that long-established rulings should be given extra weight, Roberts told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

President Bush's choice to succeed the late William H. Rehnquist as chief justice, Roberts focused on a 1992 Supreme Court ruling in Casey v. Planned Parenthood, referring to that as a precedent-setting case in addition to the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling.

In the Pennsylvania case, the Supreme Court voted 5-4 to uphold the core holdings of Roe v. Wade and ban states from outlawing most abortions. The court said states could impose restrictions on the procedure that do not impose an "undue burden" on women.

"It reaffirmed the central holding in Roe v. Wade," Roberts said.

The nominee dismissed any suggestion that his Catholic faith would influence his decisions if he were confirmed to be the nation's 17th chief justice. The Roman Catholic Church strongly opposes abortion.

"There's nothing in my personal views based on faith or other sources that would prevent me from applying the precedent of the court faithfully under the principles of stare decisis," Roberts said.

Stare decisis is Latin for "to stand by a decision" and legally translates into the doctrine that says courts are bound by previous decisions, or precedents, particularly when a case has been decided by a higher court.

Questioned about rights of privacy, the appellate judge cited several amendments in the Bill of Rights and said, "I do think the right to privacy is protected under the Constitution in various ways."

Specter, a moderate Republican who supports abortion rights, asked if the Roe v. Wade decision was a "super-duper precedent" in light of efforts to overturn it.

Roberts noted that the Supreme Court itself upheld the basics of Roe v. Wade in the 1992 Casey case.

"That, I think, is the decision that any judge in this area would begin with," Roberts said.

Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record) of Vermont, the ranking Democrat on the committee, focused on the balance of power between the executive branch and Congress — and Roberts' suggestion, in past writings, that favor the presidency and speak dismissively of the legislature.

After considerable discussion about a memo dealing with military benefits, the White House and Congress, Leahy simply asked if Congress has the power to declare war.

"Of course, the Constitution specifically gives the power to Congress," Roberts said.

Leahy also questioned Roberts about recent Bush administration documents on torture and interrogation, prompting another definitive statement from Roberts.

"No one is above the law and that includes the president," he said.

Specter pressed Roberts on whether the abortion ruling was settled law for him, established only for an appellate judge such as he or "settled beyond that."

"Well, beyond that, it's settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis. And those principles, applied in the Casey case, explain when cases should be revisited and when they should not," Roberts said.

In 1992, Rehnquist wanted to use the Casey case to overturn Roe, but he was stymied by moderate Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who is retiring. Justice Antonin Scalia wrote a bitter dissent then, and is likely to push the court to revisit the issue.

An abortion case will be taken up by the court this fall, but it does not directly deal with the right to an abortion. The Supreme Court's next term begins Oct. 3.

Troy Newman, leader of Operation: Rescue, said anti-abortion activists weren't surprised by Roberts' comments but would watch him closely.

"We're concerned about these statements, but the proof will come when it's time for him to rule on these cases as a justice," Newman said.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (news, bio, voting record), R-Utah, asked Roberts whether he was an originalist, a constructionist, a perfectionist or any of the oft-repeated legal definitions that analysts and activists apply to Supreme Court justices.

"I think, like most people, I resist the label. ... When pressed I prefer to be known as a modest judge. I appreciate the role of judge is limited," said Roberts, who said he tends to look at cases according to the facts and details and avoids an overarching judicial philosophy.

"I don't think the courts should have a dominant role in society, in addressing society's problems. Their role is to judge what the law is," he said.

if he means it, then maybe Roe is still alive.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is what I think will happen. He will not overturn Roe but will uphold publicly considered reasonable things like parental notification of a minor's request for an abortion, which will make him hated amongst the femi-nazi's and a beacon of hope for the Bible thumpers

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Here is what I think will happen. He will not overturn Roe but will uphold publicly considered reasonable things like parental notification of a minor's request for an abortion, which will make him hated amongst the femi-nazi's and a beacon of hope for the Bible thumpers
actually, I think I could live with that, although I wish the parental notification thing could be done away with. there are so many dysfunctional families that might abuse/misuse this power that I am concerned about a minor being mature enough to raise a child....and most likely ending up on welfare and severely hampering their chances of getting a decent education-- therefore a decent job.......

I still firmly believe that a woman's body is her own and no third party should have any say-so what she does with it.....if that makes me a femi-nazi, so be it. I'll wear that name proudly

btw: IMO: my morality is MY business and bible thumpers will get the pointy part of my pointiest boot if they try foisting their views on me.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgrl
The nominee dismissed any suggestion that his Catholic faith would influence his decisions if he were confirmed to be the nation's 17th chief justice.
Yeah, and Clarence Thomas is a whitey.