Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
"With a band there are politics," he said. "You have to work within a border."
Earth to Mr. Solipsist: With a band there are politics. With a film crew there are politics. With an orchestra there are politics. With a marriage there are politics. With a day job there are politics. With a family there are politics. Even with a government there are politics. It's time to get used to it, pal.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oklahoma City Daily, 9/24/08

http://blog.newsok.com/staticblog/20...?tm=1222274204

Rating: 82

Once upon a time, Lindsey Buckingham solo albums sounded like nothing less than the onset of delirium tremens after the Topanga Canyon binge party of Fleetwood Mac’s “Rumours”: brilliantly unhinged pop made without concern for commerce or coherence. But beginning with 1992’s “Out of the Cradle,” when it seemed like his Mac days were permanently in the past, Buckingham’s solo work was no longer his Frankenstein laboratory. Consequently, his latest disc, “Gift of Screws,” often sounds like Buckingham’s idea of how his band would sound if he didn’t have to deal with messy ancillary issues such as other people and their fragile egos.

Witness “The Right Place to Fade,” a frenetic second cousin to “Second-Hand News” in which Buckingham proves he can record a classic Fleetwood Mac song and mimic everyone’s roles, and yet it doesn’t sound like an enormous act of hubris. At first, “Did You Miss Me?” could like a leftover from his gauzy, largely acoustic 2006 disc, “Under the Skin,” but then a full band kicks in on a sweetly melancholy chorus, and it feels like a return to the old days when the only way he could end a relationship was with a song.

But unlike “Under the Skin,” “Gift of Screws” offers evidence that at 58, Buckingham might never fully kill his demons. Taking much of its lyrics from Emily Dickinson’s “Essential Oils Are Wrung,” the title track is punctuated by barking laughter and cascades of shouted background vocals, and might be the most unhinged song he’s recorded since the early ‘80s. “Gift of Screws” captures both the delicate beauty and sheer madness of the man, going his own way and going insane, like he always did.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Really good review!

Beyondmediaonline.com

If you have heard of Lindsey Buckingham, it is almost assuredly because of his work with Fleetwood Mac rather than his solo career. While Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie shared the glow of the spotlight, it was Buckingham that largely shaped Fleetwood Mac’s sound during their most popular years. He was the arranger and co-producer for a large amount of Fleetwood Mac’s music. He also contributed some of their very best songs, including the classic “Go Your Own Way” as well as “Monday Morning”, “Second Hand News”, “Never Going Back Again”, “Tusk” and “Big Love.” His solo work, meanwhile, has come very sporadically over the years and has never really found an audience. His solo albums have been critical favorites, but they are often almost inaccessible upon initial listenings. Buckingham is a true maverick that sticks to his own style and doesn’t compromise his musical visions for record sales.

After 2006’s lovely acoustic album Under The Sun, Buckingham made mention that he had another album, a rocker, on the back burner. It’s here, it’s called Gift Of Screws and it does indeed rock. Buckingham has always been an absolutely amazing guitarist with a technique all his own, and he shows that of to great effect on Gift Of Screws. Eschewing the guitar pick, Buckingham instead picks and strums with his fingers, even while playing electric guitar. He is able to create a unique sound which has to be seen to be truly appreciated. For a good example, click here to see him play “Big Love” solo in concert.

Buckingham’s guitar is front and center on “Gift Of Screws.” Right out of the gate, “Great Day” encompasses his signature sound with exquisitely picked acoustic guitars (but not as you are probably thinking: Buckingham is anything but predictable) and a wailing electric guitar solo at the end. “Wait For You” ups the ante, with some scorching work on the electric, reminding me a bit of “World Turning” from the Fleetwood Mac album. Other Mac moments are here as well, with “The Right Place To Fade” echoing the vocal and guitar work of “Second Hand News.”

Buckingham also delivers the goods on acoustic guitar in several songs, most notable on the the wondrous “Time Precious Time.” Here the guitar is layered against heavily echoed vocals to create a sonic wall, almost dream-like upon repeated listenings. “Underground” and “Treason” give off the same sort of vibe, closing out the album in a lovely fashion.

A few of the songs here (”Wait For You”, “Love Runs Deeper” and the aforementioned “Right Place To Fade”) sound like they could be radio hits, but for the most part this is typical Lindsey Buckingham solo work: eclectic, quirky and way too wild to receive substantial airplay. Check out the title track, which rocks out greatly and has a real nice groove but features Buckingham laughing/barking after the chorus. I love it: it is used to great effect and reminds me of his epic, crazily inspired live version of “Not That Funny.” It’s incredible to behold, but you have to wonder if anyone else out there really gets it.

As mentioned earlier, Gift Of Screws is a typical Buckingham solo album in that it may take a couple of listens for it to all make sense. It is not as accessible as his Out Of The Cradle album from the early 90’s, but it is easier to get into than 1984’s Go Insane, which sounds like it was put together by a musical mad scientist. Maybe someday Lindsey Buckingham will make an album that appeals to the masses and sells like crazy. But until then I will be firmly in his corner, backing someone who puts out challenging material. Lindsey Buckingham proves once again that he is an oddball musical genius.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Albuquerque Alibi (NM), September 25, 2008
http://www.alibi.com/index.php?story...ic&fullstory=y

Lindsey Buckingham Gift of Screws (Warner Bros.)

Wound up in his ways, Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac symbolizes the bits and pieces of a stellar career that's faded gracefully in Gifts of Screws. The album stirs all the right emotions. For better or worse—he's prone to excess in the production department—the delay and reverb are heavy and the mood thick. Buckingham's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and has been putting out solo albums since 1981. The man can do whatever the hell he wants. And for the majority of Gift of Screws, that’s OK with me. (JH)
Old 09-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default September 25, 2008 Olympia, WA

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM "Gift of Screws" (Reprise, ...)

A decade ago, "Gift of Screws" was going to be Lindsey B uckingham's fourth solo album, but a Fleetwood Mac reunion got in the way. Many of those songs ended up on Mac's "Say You Will" in 2003.

Now Buckingham has resurrected the title for his fifth solo work, the successor to 2006's "Under the Skin."

Mac fans will be pleased to hear Mick Fleetwood and John McVie join Buckingham on several tracks, including the bluesy stomp "Wait For You" and the unhinged garage-rock romp of the title track. And elsewhere, Buckingham resurrects the percussive experimentalism of "Tusk" ("Great Day") and demonstrates his prowess at writing sunny and instantly catchy pop melodies ("Did You Miss Me").

Sometimes his studio wizardry and guitar skills - Buckingham is an underrated guitar hero - get the best of him: "Time Precious Time" and a few others impress mostly as technical achievements.

But they still impress.

http://www.theolympian.com/nightlife/story/595818.html
Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live Breaking News: Youngstown Vindicator - Youngstown,OH.

Buckingham’s 5th solo was years in the making

Published:Thursday, September 25, 2008

By John Benson

The guitarist took some breaks to do some work with Fleetwood Mac.

Going his own way is what Fleetwood Mac’s guitarist Lindsey Buckingham is doing these days with a solo show scheduled for Wednesday at the House of Blues in Cleveland.

In fact, the 58-year-old Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee is touring his fifth solo release, “Gift of Screws,” which while recently released, was actually started a decade ago.

“This is part of a long epic of material,” said Buckingham during a recent telephone conference call. “There was some material that was begun in probably the late ’90s. Because Mick [Fleetwood] and I had been working together, someone had the bright idea — it could have been Mick actually — to say ‘Let’s not have you do a solo album. Let’s have Fleetwood Mac do a live album.’”

That end result was 1997’s “The Dance.” However, Buckingham still had a wealth of material from the album sessions.

“When we got done touring behind [‘The Dance’], I picked up that material again and got it to a point where it was relatively complete,” Buckingham said. “And at that point, Fleetwood Mac came in and said, ‘Let’s make a studio album.’ So what happened to a large body of tunes, which were intended to be a solo album, is that they got folded over into the Fleetwood Mac album that was 2003’s ‘Say You Will.’

“And there were a couple of stragglers from that. So a couple of the tunes — being the song ‘Gift of Screws’ and ‘Wait for You’ — go back a number of years and were waiting for a while to find a home. And they finally did on ‘Gift of Screws.’”

A follow-up to Buckingham’s more subdued 2006 solo effort “Under the Skin,” his latest album was intended to stylistically stand out in his catalog. Instead, it ended up fitting right into the Buckingham canon.

“When I got to the beginning of working on ‘Gift of Screws,’ I wasn’t necessarily intending to make it so much more rock,” Buckingham said. “I was thinking it might just be a step or two up from what that album had been — from what ‘Under the Skin’ had been.

“But it seemed to want to go in a certain direction on its own and one thing you learn is that you sort of follow the work and let it lead you.”

With intermittent solo albums spanning a quarter of a century, Buckingham has enjoyed minor radio success with 1981’s “Trouble,” 1983’s “Holiday Road” (from the “National Lampoon’s Vacation” soundtrack) and 1984’s “Go Insane.” Still, you get the sense that he views the side projects as more of a creative outlet or as musical therapy to daily life.

Perhaps this is why so far he said songwriting has never been an issue on his solo albums.

“Really, a lot of it is the subtext of what’s going on in your life that will define whether you’re having a hard time coming up with new ideas or not, but I haven’t felt that way,” said Buckingham, who hints Fleetwood Mac will tour in 2009. “I think in a way, I’m going through maybe one of the most creative parts of my life right now. So, so far, so good.”

http://www.vindy.com/news/2008/sep/2...-years-in-the/
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham
"Gift of Screws" (Warner Bros) -- 3.5 Stars
Published On Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:39 PM

The Harvard Crimsom

On “Gift of Screws,” former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham shows more than just his knack for catchy pop music. He also exhibits such control over the guitar that it sounds rugged on one track (“Treason”) and Sixpence-None-the-Richer on another (“Underground”). What’s more, while pushing age 60, he still maintains a smooth voice that makes me wonder why Fleetwood Mac ever had to hire Stevie Nicks.

Unfortunately, the album starts with its weakest song. “Great Day” overplays call and response between vocals and guitar. This bluesy shtick is downright irritating when combined with the poppy tempo of the song. Confusion only grows when the repeating chorus, “It was a great day,” changes in the end to “It wasn’t such a great day” in a transition so random it actually kind of fits the song’s idiosyncratic gestalt.

“Great Day” is exemplary in its mediocrity, due to the masterful fingerpicking and guitar playing, minimalist composition, and poppy lyricism displayed by Buckingham. On “Time Precious Time,” Buckingham redeems himself with stripped-down guitar playing that takes the foreground to his haunting and melodic chant of “time precious time.” As the song progresses, both the listener and Buckingham can get lost in the waterfall of notes flowing from the strings, until finally the whisper of the artist’s voice fades out over muted tones.

But “Gift of Screws,” unlike Nick Drake’s similar-sounding corpus, is not all moody sobriety; it’s also fun. In fact, the album is actually best when it’s in more lighthearted spirits, and Buckingham’s former pop star is allowed to shine. “A hundred years underground / Had to swim across the sea / Oh, when you were my baby,” he sings in “Did you Miss Me.” In addition to their fluffier, somewhat fantastic lyrics, the feel of songs like “Did You Miss Me” and “The Right Place to Fade” is fun and breezy, adhering to the British tradition that blurs pop and rock.

“Love Runs Deeper” is another such tune. Though after a critical listen the song lacks any distinguishing element, its catchy dance-inspiring chorus quickly becomes the perfect anthem for love. The verses repeat images of a couple paralyzed by love, followed by Buckingham’s climactic belting in the chorus, where he—for once—cranks up the volume on every single instrument. Buckingham is eloquent, precise, and convincing, especially in those songs where it sounds like he’s actually enjoying his work. On the title track, he sings a schizophrenic melody of two voices that unite into a crazy cackling in between verses. It’s this upbeat, now unconventional pop feel that inspires hope that, should Buckingham make another album, he will feel free to give his audience more quality happy music.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Lindsey Buckingham
"Gift of Screws" (Warner Bros) -- 3.5 Stars
Published On Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:39 PM

The Harvard Crimsom

On “Gift of Screws,” former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham shows more than just his knack for catchy pop music. He also exhibits such control over the guitar that it sounds rugged on one track (“Treason”) and Sixpence-None-the-Richer on another (“Underground”). What’s more, while pushing age 60, he still maintains a smooth voice that makes me wonder why Fleetwood Mac ever had to hire Stevie Nicks.

Unfortunately, the album starts with its weakest song. “Great Day” overplays call and response between vocals and guitar. This bluesy shtick is downright irritating when combined with the poppy tempo of the song. Confusion only grows when the repeating chorus, “It was a great day,” changes in the end to “It wasn’t such a great day” in a transition so random it actually kind of fits the song’s idiosyncratic gestalt.

“Great Day” is exemplary in its mediocrity, due to the masterful fingerpicking and guitar playing, minimalist composition, and poppy lyricism displayed by Buckingham. On “Time Precious Time,” Buckingham redeems himself with stripped-down guitar playing that takes the foreground to his haunting and melodic chant of “time precious time.” As the song progresses, both the listener and Buckingham can get lost in the waterfall of notes flowing from the strings, until finally the whisper of the artist’s voice fades out over muted tones.

But “Gift of Screws,” unlike Nick Drake’s similar-sounding corpus, is not all moody sobriety; it’s also fun. In fact, the album is actually best when it’s in more lighthearted spirits, and Buckingham’s former pop star is allowed to shine. “A hundred years underground / Had to swim across the sea / Oh, when you were my baby,” he sings in “Did you Miss Me.” In addition to their fluffier, somewhat fantastic lyrics, the feel of songs like “Did You Miss Me” and “The Right Place to Fade” is fun and breezy, adhering to the British tradition that blurs pop and rock.

“Love Runs Deeper” is another such tune. Though after a critical listen the song lacks any distinguishing element, its catchy dance-inspiring chorus quickly becomes the perfect anthem for love. The verses repeat images of a couple paralyzed by love, followed by Buckingham’s climactic belting in the chorus, where he—for once—cranks up the volume on every single instrument. Buckingham is eloquent, precise, and convincing, especially in those songs where it sounds like he’s actually enjoying his work. On the title track, he sings a schizophrenic melody of two voices that unite into a crazy cackling in between verses. It’s this upbeat, now unconventional pop feel that inspires hope that, should Buckingham make another album, he will feel free to give his audience more quality happy music.
I couldn't read beyond that utterly WRONG critique of "Great Day." He doesn't understand the change to it "wasn't" such a great day? Doesn't like the call-and-response (SOOOO witty/fun, Lindsey!)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Musical greats reclaim identities:Corpus Christi Caller Times - Corpus Christi,TX

Lindsey Buckingham always has struggled. At the beginning of his career, his partnership (and romance) with fellow songwriter Stevie Nicks neither was spectacular nor lucrative. It was their collaboration LP, "Buckingham Nicks," that got the attention of Mick Fleetwood when he was looking for new talent for the ever-changing Fleetwood Mac.

The quirky guitarist would feel increasingly claustrophobic within the framework of Fleetwood Mac, and his departure in 1987 was a bold, assertive step in forging his own musical identity. His solo output, like the ramshackle "Law and Order," the slick "Go Insane," and the severely overlooked "Out of the Cradle" all got critical accolades.

Buckingham has continued a solo career, with 2006's excellent "Under the Skin,: a live album out last year and contributions to the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack.

His latest, "Gift of Screws" (Reprise), has lingered on the shelf for a while. That combination with new material makes for a cohesive collection.

The disc rocks with Buckingham's fiery guitar work; especially the title track and "Great Day." The more introspective tracks like "Underground" and "Time Precious Time" recall some of Buckingham's more memorable solo moments, but "Did You Miss Me" and the nearly perfect "The Right Place To Fade" sound like Fleetwood Mac outtakes. Ex-Mac-ers Mick Fleetwood and John McVie show up on a couple tracks.

The heartbreaking "Wait for Me" and the equally affecting resignation of "Treason" make unapologetic emotional statements. Each track explores opposite ends of romantic connection, with hopefulness at one end of the spectrum and betrayal at the other. It's a pendulum on which Buckingham often has swung, and that's what makes "Gift of Screws" a satisfying but unassuming tour de force.

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/sep/...im-identities/
Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham has a winner
GJSentinel.com
Thursday, September 25, 2008

In my humble opinion, Lindsey Buckingham’s newest CD “Gift of Screws” is without a doubt his finest release to date.

The polar opposite of his last release, “Under the Skin,” this CD is mostly a high energy electric offering with a few acoustic gems mixed in.

Let there be no mistake, though, this is a fairly intense and introspective set of songs representing his most potent song writing to date.

All songs on “Gift of Screws” were written or performed by Buckingham with very few exceptions, and the production is spotless.

The album opens with “Great Day,” featuring red hot guitar solos that we have come to expect from Buckingham. But here he takes it to another level.

“Time Precious Time” is a dreamy introspective acoustic song that features Buckingham’s excellent vocals and his unique ability to strum his guitar like a harp.

“Did You Miss Me” is a very catchy melancholy pop-rock song that may be an ode to his former love, Stevie Nicks, or it could be for his wife of many years, Kristen. Either way it would be an instant classic if it was on any Fleetwood Mac album and would have fit really well on “Rumours.”

“Wait For You,” the disc’s fourth track, is a bluesy rocker that is more like Buckingham’s solo work and reflects his views on getting older and less independent.

“Love Runs Deeper” is a classic Lindsey-era Fleetwood Mac rocker with terrific lead guitar work and, not so coincidentally Mick Fleetwood and John McVie on drums and bass, respectively.

If this song is not about Stevie Nicks then explain these lyrics to me, “I loved you little child, how you mystified,” and “Black Angel can’t be alone.”

“Bel Air Rain,” the album’s sixth track is a lovely laid-back song featuring Buckingham’s virtuoso acoustic guitar work. The introspective song is about being contented and more patient and relaxed by taking life as it comes at this stage of his life.

“The Right Place to Fade” is another introspective song about the good fortune of being able to realize what is most important in his life and how to appreciate it before it is too late. However, this song is a rocker with a freakishly wicked guitar solo at the end.

The title track, “Gift of Screws” is one that I haven’t been able to get a handle on yet, but it sure sounds, like they had a lot of fun recording it.

“Underground” is a nice and melodic laid-back delivery for a song that shows his frustrations with the music business and the way in which it is run.

“Did I sell my heart for the dream in my head?” he wonders.

“Treason,” the disc’s closing track, is a beautiful song about love, hope and redemption with Fleetwood and McVie providing perfect accompaniment.

Everybody needs to know about this great CD. If “Gift Of Screw” was a Fleetwood Mac album it would be its best release since “Rumours,” and the press would be all over it.

As it stands, it is Lindsey Buckingham’s crowning achievement and one of this year’s best albums.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I thought by now there would be a lot more press for the new album.
If anyone comes across any newspaper/mag reviews, post them here.
So are you happy about all the gazillion reviews he's getting, or what??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sendmeac.jpg (24.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New Haven Register:

September 26, 2008

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...f233524369.txt

Lindsey Buckingham — "Gift of Screws" (Warner Bros.): When Lindsey Buckingham released "Under the Skin," his first solo album in 14 years, in 2006, it was heralded as a stripped-down, acoustic masterpiece that reminded the world what kind of songwriter and guitarist the Fleetwood Mac member can be on his own. But it might have made people think Buckingham didn’t need to play rock music and wanted to focus on softer sounds. The equally great "Gift of Screws" proves otherwise.

Quite possibly Buckingham’s best work outside of the Mac, "Gift of Screws" combines furious guitar playing from the underappreciated ax master and the subtle electronics and complex percussion that the musician’s known to incorporate. Both "Did You Miss Me?" and "Love Runs Deeper" could have been on any of the ’70s masterpieces the Mac put out decades ago, while the title song is decidedly modern and challenging.

But no matter what direction Buckingham goes in on these songs, there’s always smart songwriting and incredible guitar playing.

Two albums in three years from an artist who usually takes forever in between records is such a treat, but the biggest pleasure is that both discs are so good and so different. "Gift of Screws" is easily one of the best albums of the year so far.

Patrick Ferrucci can be reached at pferrucci@nhregister.com or (203) 789-5678
Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Hey, this guy is talking shipper talk. He thinks it is about Stevie!]

The Daily Sentinel

http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content..._Rock_Col.html

Thursday, September 25, 2008

In my humble opinion, Lindsey Buckingham’s newest CD “Gift of Screws” is without a doubt his finest release to date.

The polar opposite of his last release, “Under the Skin,” this CD is mostly a high energy electric offering with a few acoustic gems mixed in.

Let there be no mistake, though, this is a fairly intense and introspective set of songs representing his most potent song writing to date.

All songs on “Gift of Screws” were written or performed by Buckingham with very few exceptions, and the production is spotless.

The album opens with “Great Day,” featuring red hot guitar solos that we have come to expect from Buckingham. But here he takes it to another level.

“Time Precious Time” is a dreamy introspective acoustic song that features Buckingham’s excellent vocals and his unique ability to strum his guitar like a harp.

“Did You Miss Me” is a very catchy melancholy pop-rock song that may be an ode to his former love, Stevie Nicks, or it could be for his wife of many years, Kristen. Either way it would be an instant classic if it was on any Fleetwood Mac album and would have fit really well on “Rumours.”

“Wait For You,” the disc’s fourth track, is a bluesy rocker that is more like Buckingham’s solo work and reflects his views on getting older and less independent.

“Love Runs Deeper” is a classic Lindsey-era Fleetwood Mac rocker with terrific lead guitar work and, not so coincidentally Mick Fleetwood and John McVie on drums and bass, respectively.

If this song is not about Stevie Nicks then explain these lyrics to me, “I loved you little child, how you mystified,” and “Black Angel can’t be alone.”

“Bel Air Rain,” the album’s sixth track is a lovely laid-back song featuring Buckingham’s virtuoso acoustic guitar work. The introspective song is about being contented and more patient and relaxed by taking life as it comes at this stage of his life.

“The Right Place to Fade” is another introspective song about the good fortune of being able to realize what is most important in his life and how to appreciate it before it is too late. However, this song is a rocker with a freakishly wicked guitar solo at the end.

The title track, “Gift of Screws” is one that I haven’t been able to get a handle on yet, but it sure sounds, like they had a lot of fun recording it.

“Underground” is a nice and melodic laid-back delivery for a song that shows his frustrations with the music business and the way in which it is run.

“Did I sell my heart for the dream in my head?” he wonders.

“Treason,” the disc’s closing track, is a beautiful song about love, hope and redemption with Fleetwood and McVie providing perfect accompaniment.

Everybody needs to know about this great CD. If “Gift Of Screw” was a Fleetwood Mac album it would be its best release since “Rumours,” and the press would be all over it.

As it stands, it is Lindsey Buckingham’s crowning achievement and one of this year’s best albums.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Musical Greats Reclaim Identities [referring to LB and Brian Wilson]

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/sep/...im-identities/

Corpus Cristi Caller Times.com

Lindsey Buckingham always has struggled. At the beginning of his career, his partnership (and romance) with fellow songwriter Stevie Nicks neither was spectacular nor lucrative. It was their collaboration LP, "Buckingham Nicks," that got the attention of Mick Fleetwood when he was looking for new talent for the ever-changing Fleetwood Mac.

The quirky guitarist would feel increasingly claustrophobic within the framework of Fleetwood Mac, and his departure in 1987 was a bold, assertive step in forging his own musical identity. His solo output, like the ramshackle "Law and Order," the slick "Go Insane," and the severely overlooked "Out of the Cradle" all got critical accolades.

Buckingham has continued a solo career, with 2006's excellent "Under the Skin,: a live album out last year and contributions to the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack.

His latest, "Gift of Screws" (Reprise), has lingered on the shelf for a while. That combination with new material makes for a cohesive collection.

The disc rocks with Buckingham's fiery guitar work; especially the title track and "Great Day." The more introspective tracks like "Underground" and "Time Precious Time" recall some of Buckingham's more memorable solo moments, but "Did You Miss Me" and the nearly perfect "The Right Place To Fade" sound like Fleetwood Mac outtakes. Ex-Mac-ers Mick Fleetwood and John McVie show up on a couple tracks.

The heartbreaking "Wait for Me" and the equally affecting resignation of "Treason" make unapologetic emotional statements. Each track explores opposite ends of romantic connection, with hopefulness at one end of the spectrum and betrayal at the other. It's a pendulum on which Buckingham often has swung, and that's what makes "Gift of Screws" a satisfying but unassuming tour de force.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango in the Night aka the Seven Wonders Album

Speaking of concerts I am less than a month away from seeing Alice Cooper perform live. I have never seen Cooper perform and I am hoping I am in for a treat. This one is titled the Psycho Drama Tour. I am wondering what type of antics and drama we will see unfold on stage. But I am keeping the promise to myself and I am not checking out detailed reviews or YouTube until after the show.

Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham has a new solo CD, titled Gift of Screws that has me intrigued. I have always like Buckingham and this effort is described as a return to rock. Watching Buckingham perform solo is impressive, especially his rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s Big Love from the Seven Wonders album. He does this alone with only an acoustic guitar and I’ve seen footage of it from a couple different concerts. It blew me away each time. Buckingham also confirmed in Rolling Stone that there were some talks of Sheryl Crow joining Fleetwood Mac for a tour to take Christine McVie’s place. They decided against it saying that bringing someone in just to do McVie’s parts would reduce the band to a lounge act. I don’t know, over a long career most bands have to face lineup changes, just like any sports team or place of business. Crow is an established artist and bringing her in would have made for an interesting mix and tour I think.

That’s all for now. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend. In my part of the world the weather is awesome today, so I think it’s time to get out and enjoy it before winter creeps in faster than I’d like think.

http://the-brigade.blogspot.com/2008...end-notes.html