User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Looking for information on Boston and Hyannis MA

Hi

I am going to see Melissa Etheridge in Boston and Hyannis Ma July 9/10. Fri in Hyannis and Sat in Boston. She is playing The Cape Cod Melody Tent in Hyannis and The Wang Theater in Boston. In preparing for the concerts I have a few questions. I am coming from Canada via either Train or Bus with a slim possibility of a car.

1. Does anyone know if in Boston there is a way to get to Hyannis via Subway, Rail, Bus etc? Also if I was going to Hyannis can I get back to Boston that night via the Rail, Bus Subway etc?

2. Another question I have is whether or not you can find cheap accomodations in Boston or will you pay through the nose even if you use Priceline or Hotwire?

3. Lastly if anyone has any good dinner suggestions close to these venues then feel free to share.

4. Any other useful info that might help. I may have time for some sightseeing so if I do I would want to get as much in as possible without going broke.

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by Nicks Fan; 04-18-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is a bus from Boston to Hyannis, I believe. I'm not sure of the specific name of it but I know it exists. I don't think you would be able to count on definitely getting back to Boston that night though.

I'm not entirely sure where the Melody Tent is but my family has stayed in the Heritage House motel a few times, right in downtown Hyannis, and it is pretty nice and has reasonable rates.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered

The buses... http://www.p-b.com/schedules.html Pretty regular service to-from Hyannis, even on the weekends. You'll have to stay overnight on Friday the 9th, though (or at least awake until the first bus leaves at 3:10am on Saturday)

Not sure about Hyannis hotels, but definitely look into bidding on Priceline for Boston. I'm in Boston all the time, and I've never had to pay more than $60 (+ tax)/night- usually at the Hyatt by Boston Common or the Hilton at Logan Airport. It'll probably be more expensive than that, considering its a weekend in the summer, but it'll still be far cheaper than the published rates.

Have fun!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
Hi

4. Any other useful info that might help. I may have time for some sightseeing so if I do I would want to get as much in as possible without going broke.
On sightseeing-

1. Faneuil Hall is the ultimate tourist spot. Walk the freedom trail, check out the Cheers bar, see the street performers, etc. It's a really gorgeous area and a lot of fun.

2. For a cheap but delicious lunch, you've got to go to Mr. Bartley's Burgers. It's right in Harvard Square, and they have so many wonderful, hilarious burger options from the Steve Jobs to the John Kerry. It can get pretty busy at night, and you'll be crowded against people you don't know at the tables, but it's a true Boston experience.

3. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you should happen to be looking for a fun 20's-30's dive bar, Crossroads Irish Pub by the Kenmore T-stop is where you want to be. Get an appetizer downstairs and play darts or wander upstairs for more of a "college-y mingle-y" feel. I don't know how long you're staying, but I'll give another shameless plug to Crossroads because I love it so-- free pizza with every pitcher on Wednesdays!

4. If you're looking for the absolute most low budget of all Boston attractions, just head over to the Charles. I like to sit over on the Cambridge side by Harvard and watch the crew teams and kayakers row by. You should also walk across the bridge that divides Cambridge and Boston and keep walking until you hit Mass/Comm. You'll go from MIT to right near Kenmore Square (keep your eyes open for Trident book store, some great restaurants, and, of course, Fenway!)

Ugh, typing all of this out just made me wish the roads weren't closed for the Marathon, so I could go into the city today

Edit:

Also, feel free to PM me if you'd like anymore specific suggestions, if you want tips on navigating the T, etc.
You're so like me

Last edited by LikeAWillow; 04-19-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Registered

You and your Cambridge! May I interest you in a Mango Ginger from Toscanini's?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

2. Another question I have is whether or not you can find cheap accomodations in Boston or will you pay through the nose even if you use Priceline or Hotwire?

If you can't find a reasonable room in Boston, there's a Motel 6 in Braintree along the red line train that goes into Boston. http://www.motel6.com/reservations/m....aspx?num=1057 You can walk over to the station.

3. Lastly if anyone has any good dinner suggestions close to these venues then feel free to share.

You might consider a harbor cruise out of Boston and/or Hyannis. These are great in the summer, you will want to reserve in advance. Definitely check out Faneuil Hall and go over to the North End too and at least get a cannoli at Mike's or Modern Pastry. If you have time for a meal Giacomo's is good and inexpensive but tends to have long wait. The harbor, Faneuil Hall, and North End are all close together so you can do them all if you have a full day. Oh yeah, Legal Seafoods on the harbor is really good though pretty pricey. There is outside seating there and lots of people watching.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
You and your Cambridge! May I interest you in a Mango Ginger from Toscanini's?
Be careful. I'd actually take you up on that.

But really, where is this? I'm looking for some place new to try out tomorrow night.
You're so like me
Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
Be careful. I'd actually take you up on that.

But really, where is this? I'm looking for some place new to try out tomorrow night.
www.tosci.com - "best ice cream in the world!" (NYT) Its right off the Central Square T Stop, on Main (where Mass Ave & Main split). I think they're open late, too. Even the free samples are generous.

Have you been to People's Republik? Honestly, I don't spend all that much time in Cambridge- not with Allston right across the river. Harpers Ferry/Silhouette Lounge/Sunset Tap... that's where you'd find me
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
www.tosci.com - "best ice cream in the world!" (NYT) Its right off the Central Square T Stop, on Main (where Mass Ave & Main split). I think they're open late, too. Even the free samples are generous.
Ooh it looks really good! Okay, they're on the agenda. I'm not sure if they can top the Penn State Creamery for me, though.

Buy online! https://estore.psu.edu/home.asp?store=100056

Quote:

Have you been to People's Republik? Honestly, I don't spend all that much time in Cambridge- not with Allston right across the river. Harpers Ferry/Silhouette Lounge/Sunset Tap... that's where you'd find me
...I love the People's Republik. How can you not go into a Communist bar? It's such an eclectic little dive.

You are the only man in the world who likes Allston. I hope you know that.
You're so like me