User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
Now, I don't mean to bring this up, but do any of you think the real reason she got banned from The Ledge was not cause of just being there, but cause she was going to Atlantic City with someone from here to see Stevie in August and her parents found out?
Actually that's not the case. Her dad was taking her and had a ticket for the show too.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I'd expect to read something like this if it was 12-13 years ago, when I was 15 (which, coincidentally, is when I first started reading/posting on the Ledge).. when the Internet still hadn't reached mainstream status and confusion and caution reigned. Pretty ignorant and uninformed- at face value.

That said, I think there's more to this story (and behind this "banning") than what has been posted. Just saying.
That's what I thought too. Although I have heard older Ledgies mention texting teen members here (I can't remember who) and that made me uncomfortable. It may well be perfectly innocent but it's inappropriate. I wonder if something like that happened.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is she still allowed to go and see Stevie?!

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Poor Miranda. How i would love to talk to her parents, and tell them that we're not all that bad... I hope she'll be back soon, and that we won't have to wait until she's 18.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Guys, let's not let this thread drift from wishing Miranda were able to post to criticizing her parents:

1. Her parents are only trying to do what they think is right for their daughter. If they tracked her posts on the ledge, they would have found pictures of herself, videos of her dance class, details of fights with them, and hints (if not outright statements) about her location. Add that all of that to the fact that she was planning to meet up with ledgies at a show, and you have a recipe for a parental breakdown. Now, do I think the ledge is safe? Yup. I do. I've been here since I was literally exactly Miranda's age-- 14 turning 15 in good old 2004. But do her parents know that yet? Nope, they don't. All they've seen is what literally reads like the script of an Oprah episode called "DANGERS OF THE INTERNET! WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR DAUGHTER IS SHARING ONLINE!"

Which is why...

2. We need to show her parents that we care about Miranda's safety, too. The odds that they're reading this thread are high. It's three pages of talk from strangers about their daughter. If I were them, I would be checking it every hour. We need to keep in mind, though, that this ban might not be permanent, and a compromise might still be reached. It's been a day. Maybe Miranda can come back if she only frequents the boards directly discussing Fleetwood Mac. Maybe she simply can't post any more pictures or videos. Maybe she'll agree not to answer private messages from any user or private message users herself. If Miranda is on facebook, it might help for her parents to see the profiles of other teenage Stevie fans. They can see that there really are others her age here who it would be appropriate to make friends with-- teens who have networks and friends that verify that they're at the school they say they are, whose pictures really are of themselves, etc. My facebook profile is http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/marissa.parrish , I'm twenty years old, and Miranda's parents should feel free to contact me if they want to know about my experiences using the ledge at their daughter's age. At the end of the day, Stevie is Miranda's role model, and having a strong, talented, successful female role model at fifteen is a pretty good thing.

Whew.

All that said, Miranda, you're misssed already.
You're so like me

Last edited by LikeAWillow; 06-08-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Totally agree. They are only being responsible parents. That's a good thing. Best we can all do right now is keep Miranda in our thoughts. I know if i had a child I'd be very much a head case. and want to know that he or she is safe. you never know what lurks on the net

Mick

-Tom Waits

Last edited by bluefox4000; 06-08-2010 at 12:27 PM..
Old 06-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

A comment/suggestion to the Moderators, keeping in mind what LikeAWillow said. Maybe there should be a teen-only section of The Ledge. Also, maybe the moderators should remove any personal pictures/information/videos that a minor posts on The Ledge. I know that could be considered censorship but it could help in the way of a minor's safety here.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What are the different ages for being considered a minor though? In the UK you're of 'legal age' at 16 and can legally purchase and consume alcohol at 18.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
What are the different ages for being considered a minor though? In the UK you're of 'legal age' at 16 and can legally purchase and consume alcohol at 18.
18 is legal age here. 21 to drink. If you are under 13, forums are supposed to have you get parental consent to join.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister View Post
Actually that's not the case. Her dad was taking her and had a ticket for the show too.
I didn't realize. My bad, but still, I do completely understand why her parents would be a bit nuts. No matter how trustworthy someone might seem on the Net, they might not be who you think they are, which could bring up a few red flags.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, but they're also being a little overprotective. In addition, if they allow her to be on Facebook and not on The Ledge...then they're stupid.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jesus, she can't have an email either? Too bad they can't just keep her in choir all the time, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
That said, I think there's more to this story (and behind this "banning") than what has been posted. Just saying.
Yes Luke, could be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Precisely. And by making the internet so taboo, that's just going to cause a child to be drawn to it that much more. It's like all the preachers kids I know, they're all hell raisers of the highest degree because of the absurd oppression they receive(d) as kids. It seems like every single problem our society has can be solved by one simple word: moderation. Teach your children moderation. NOTHING is black and white. Cutting off a problem never works. Extreme reaction NEVER works. Approach everything in life with moderation, and you'll always be fine.
Moderation. Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlyn View Post
Poor Miranda. I know she mentioned a few times that her parents thought she was a bit too ensconsed in all things FM/Stevie/Lindsey, so perhaps this is just an extreme conservative reaction to them finding out how she seems to be spending a lot of her free time. Although I can think of far worse things for someone her age to be doing.
You said extreme and conservative. And you nailed it. And those are both such terrible things...

Stevie would undoubtedly call these parents uptight. I doubt she'd like them one bit.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Stevie would undoubtedly call these parents uptight. I doubt she'd like them one bit.
I wonder if Stevie wouldn't agree with them, considering her attitude about the internet.

Listen, let's quit judging Miranda's parents. She's a kid and we honestly don't know the whole story. Maybe they're complete nutbags and maybe they're loving and concerned parents; it's none of our business.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I wonder if Stevie wouldn't agree with them, considering her attitude about the internet.

Listen, let's quit judging Miranda's parents. She's a kid and we honestly don't know the whole story. Maybe they're complete nutbags and maybe they're loving and concerned parents; it's none of our business.
One could argue that it is our business since it was posted here, so...

I feel like it's necessary to take the opposing side though, since everyone else, for the most part, seemed to say that they were just practicing responsible parenting and doing what was best, and blah, blah, blah. I was just sort of playing devil's advocate a little bit.

So, I'm probably going to continue to judge.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
Guys, let's not let this thread drift from wishing Miranda were able to post to criticizing her parents:

1. Her parents are only trying to do what they think is right for their daughter. If they tracked her posts on the ledge, they would have found pictures of herself, videos of her dance class, details of fights with them, and hints (if not outright statements) about her location. Add that all of that to the fact that she was planning to meet up with ledgies at a show, and you have a recipe for a parental breakdown. Now, do I think the ledge is safe? Yup. I do. I've been here since I was literally exactly Miranda's age-- 14 turning 15 in good old 2004. But do her parents know that yet? Nope, they don't. All they've seen is what literally reads like the script of an Oprah episode called "DANGERS OF THE INTERNET! WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR DAUGHTER IS SHARING ONLINE!"
I agree with this completely. Maybe their actions were extreme but at least they care about their daughter and at the end of the day, how well do any of us know each other anyway? I know I've met some Ledgies who are good decent people but there's lots of people here who could be anybody, you never know. If her parents are uncomfortable with it then I think it's appropriate action. She's only got to wait a couple of years anyway and she'll be off to college or getting a job, then she can post as much as wants. It's not really a big deal.