Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I don't like that one--I like your signature better, Peter.
Thanks Dave. And I should say that sonically, OOTC to me sounds exceptionally good! It seems so clear.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Then don't read them...

...and for GOD's sake stop replying to them.
You've put ME on ignore, I don't have a reason for it, so don't patronise me in where I respond to. I think you're cool and you said that just a short while ago about me too. So you can provoke my preooccupations and I'll do that to yours. What's wrong with that. It can lead to dramatic and fun threads. Just be aware of the tongue-in-cheek-parts, like JohnRun pointed out.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The technically best pieces of Buckingham Guitar work for me is the two intros on Out of The Cradle. Don't Look Down and This Is The Time. I would put that up against anything else he has down as far as guitar proficiency goes.

My favorite is the production and arrangement of Gypsy. The almost symphonic sound of the backgound voices, merged with the strat tuned and processed into something like a violin on the verses and finally the exceedingly simple, yet delicate sounding solo, that sounds so great to end the piece. A great production that sounds timeless to these years.

Out of the Cradle is the master work of course for Buckingham. Although I do see the songs that Chili mentions as an extension of Tango, I hear many of the songs in a context of the Acoustic/Electric, hook filled mode of Buckingham Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, and Rumours. Many of the songs are the most obviously pop-crafted tunes Lindsey had written since that time and have many similar underpinnings. The main difference is the early 90's drum and percussion sounds and vocal fx's. Which in some cases do not hold up as well as the rest of the album over the course of time.

Last edited by John Run; 04-06-2006 at 07:05 AM..
Old 04-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
You've put ME on ignore, I don't have a reason for it, so don't patronise me in where I respond to. I think you're cool and you said that just a short while ago about me too. So you can provoke my preooccupations and I'll do that to yours. What's wrong with that. It can lead to dramatic and fun threads. Just be aware of the tongue-in-cheek-parts, like JohnRun pointed out.
As Frank Lentricchia recommended several years ago (in regard to the Pomo Wars in university classrooms), "Teach the conflict!"

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run
Out of the Cradle is the master work of course for Buckingham. Although I do see the songs that Chili mentions as an extension of Tango, I hear many of the songs in a context of the Acoustic/Electric, hook filled mode of Buckingham Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, and Rumours. Many of the songs are the most obviously pop-crafted tunes Lindsey had written since that time and have many similar underpinnings.
Bollocks! "Bwana" has every bit of the popcraft that the stuff on Cradle has.

How have you been John? It's been awhile since you've posted. Everything okay? It's nice to have you back & hope you stick around!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Bollocks! "Bwana" has every bit of the popcraft that the stuff on Cradle has.

How have you been John? It's been awhile since you've posted. Everything okay? It's nice to have you back & hope you stick around!

David, I am well. I have made the occasional post over the past few months, but I have always been here in the shadows. I felt it was time to look at Buckingham's work in a slightly different light so I figured I would start a new thread.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Normally I'd say That I know I'm not Wrong would be his best work, but today I prefer Shut Us Down, because it's challenging, gutsy, vulnerable and combines technically challenging guitarwork with poppy, catchy melodylines.

The rawness, vibe and groove of Johnny Stew is something I can't get enough of either........And there's Shuffle riff, an addictive riff under great melodychanges. Still it's a poprocker with catchy hooks. Not one but several.
I'm sorry Gerald but I'm going to have to agree with you! All those songs are amongst my favorites.

But I agree with Chili too in the fact that Out Of The Cradle was his best work as a whole. It's the complete package. The album is so well crafted,. the songs are brilliant, the acoustics are so very clear (the crispest album I've ever heard) the track order is perfect and the feelings and flow are great.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
...the track order is perfect...
One of the rare albums where I haven't found an alternate running order that I think is better than the "as is" one, that's for sure (Mystery To Me is another).
Old 04-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up My picks

Quote:
I thought I would create a thread where we could name and discuss our favorite Buckingham work and what you believe to be his best or most technically challenging work. The favorite can be what you feel or hear as being your favorite thing Lindsey has been involved in (Written, Played, Produced Arranged or any 1 or more of those), yet may not be a technical masterwork...

Please discuss
Good question John Boy. My personal favorite Buckingham work has to be separated in three categories...1) What I believe to be Lindsey's best song as far as appeal to the non-fans 2) My favorite song of Lindsey's based on tecnical ability (aka his guitar riffing) and lastly, 3) Just my favorite song of his in general........

1) This would have to be Go Your Own Way. I think just about everyone enjoys this song at some point. It's just classic radio. Classic lyrics and classic guitar work.

2) My favorite song of Lindsey's based on technical ability would be Big Love from The Dance. It's just an incredible piece and shows what his skill level is at.

3) The last song, my favorite is general, would be I'm So Afraid. I love the dark aspect of the song. Either the 1980 Live album version or The Dance.

Now dont get me wrong...these were tough choices to side with the "mainstays" of his material. I'd side with Chili in saying that Out of the Cradle is brilliant...but the only thing that blew me away on that album, guitar-wise, was the solo on "This is the Time."
Old 04-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon
I'd side with Chili in saying that Out of the Cradle is brilliant...but the only thing that blew me away on that album, guitar-wise, was the solo on "This is the Time."
That opening "intro to Don't Look Down", to me, is the best guitar work on the album. In dissecting the album, the solo on "This Is The Time" was recorded at 1/2 speed and when played back at normal speed gives the impression that he's playing at lightning speed...when he really isn't. (deception, plain ol' studio trickery deception!)
Old 04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought I would create a thread where we could name and discuss our favorite Buckingham work and what you believe to be his best or most technically challenging work. The favorite can be what you feel or hear as being your favorite thing Lindsey has been involved in (Written, Played, Produced Arranged or any 1 or more of those), yet may not be a technical masterwork...

Please discuss

Ooooh, cool thread.

Favorite: Go Your Own Way. I know, I know, easy choice but really this song encompasses everything amazing about Linds...the fire and intensity of the lyrics, the urgency of the chord progressions, the layered guitars, searing solo at the end...this song is just definitive Lindsey angst for me. And it's one of the only Fleetwood Mac songs I could put on repeat for hours.

Best: Red Rover. Technically, it sounds like this song has literally hundreds of sonic layers within one song, and I think the vocals on this one are some of his best in YEARS. Amazing song, great studio work.

Last edited by cliffdweller; 04-06-2006 at 03:55 PM..
Old 04-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=mylittledemon]
3) The last song, my favorite is general, would be I'm So Afraid. I love the dark aspect of the song. Either the 1980 Live album version or The Dance.
/QUOTE]

You know this version of I'M So Afraid always has left me a little cold. I do like it, but as far versions go I have always appreciated the under the radar Mirage Tour version. A really, good good take on this song, for those who have not heard it.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=John Run]
Quote:

You know this version of I'M So Afraid always has left me a little cold. I do like it, but as far versions go I have always appreciated the under the radar Mirage Tour version. A really, good good take on this song, for those who have not heard it.

It is a great version too John. I think that Sisters of the Moon from that show is phenomenal as well.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is a great version too John. I think that Sisters of the Moon from that show is phenomenal as well.
The best version of ISA he played in California on that tour was at Irvine Meadows. I'll see if I can dig up an audio of that. He got a standing ovation (this was back in the day when Lindsey didn't get standing ovations).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-07-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Normally I'd say That I know I'm not Wrong would be his best work, but today I prefer Shut Us Down, because it's challenging, gutsy, vulnerable and combines technically challenging guitarwork with poppy, catchy melodylines.

The rawness, vibe and groove of Johnny Stew is something I can't get enough of either........And there's Shuffle riff, an addictive riff under great melodychanges. Still it's a poprocker with catchy hooks. Not one but several.
the person or the song?