Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Buckingham: Favorite & Best

I thought I would create a thread where we could name and discuss our favorite Buckingham work and what you believe to be his best or most technically challenging work. The favorite can be what you feel or hear as being your favorite thing Lindsey has been involved in (Written, Played, Produced Arranged or any 1 or more of those), yet may not be a technical masterwork...

Please discuss
Old 04-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run
I thought I would create a thread where we could name and discuss our favorite Buckingham work and what you believe to be his best or most technically challenging work. The favorite can be what you feel or hear as being your favorite thing Lindsey has been involved in (Written, Played, Produced Arranged or any 1 or more of those), yet may not be a technical masterwork...

Please discuss
Well, this is hard. I think the arrangement & the engineering on "You make Loving fun" was extremely difficult to get, but they did so masterfully. Everything had to be just right in order for the whole to work: complementary voicings, compression, levels, FX, etc. In that regard, it's sort of a precursor to the success of "Gypsy" in 1981/82.

It also happens to be my favorite!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This thread is about 9 years too late...I'm too deep into my "I can't stand Buckingham" phase to comment.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default hmmm...

Normally I'd say That I know I'm not Wrong would be his best work, but today I prefer Shut Us Down, because it's challenging, gutsy, vulnerable and combines technically challenging guitarwork with poppy, catchy melodylines.

The rawness, vibe and groove of Johnny Stew is something I can't get enough of either........And there's Shuffle riff, an addictive riff under great melodychanges. Still it's a poprocker with catchy hooks. Not one but several.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:47 AM
shackin'up
This message has been deleted by shackin'up.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:56 AM
chiliD
This message has been deleted by chiliD.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:59 AM
shackin'up
This message has been deleted by shackin'up.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
This thread is about 9 years too late...I'm too deep into my "I can't stand Buckingham" phase to comment.
I was almost going to put as a disclaimer on the thread that Chili could not answer, as over the past few months he had become the Anti-Buckingham and could find nothing pleasing about his music....I chose not to because I thought you might miss the the tongue and cheek nature of the blurb....

Actually Chili the reason I created the thread was due to fact that I thought that after weeks of deconstructing and breaking down Buckingham in a negative manner, I thought it would be fascinating to move the discussion to a more positive discourse and see the insights that people come up with, knowing that the most recent discussions would frame the input.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was almost going to put as a disclaimer on the thread that Chili could not answer, as over the past few months he had become the Anti-Buckingham and could find nothing pleasing about his music....I chose not to because I thought you might miss the the tongue and cheek nature of the blurb....

Actually Chili the reason I created the thread was due to fact that I thought that after weeks of deconstructing and breaking down Buckingham in a negative manner, I thought it would be fascinating to move the discussion to a more positive discourse and see the insights that people come up with, knowing that the most recent discussions would frame the input.
I made some jokes two hours ago-not of the most highclass-but nevertheless meant funny and not in any offense- but the humour was not appreciated. I deleted them because I don't want to hurt peoples feelings, but it's just so overly clear that he wants to trigger Lindseyfans in their fandom to shoot them down as brainless earless dumbasses, that if he's conquered with his own methods ( read: provoking) you're immediately put on his ignorelist.

He is classy enough to PM that in these words:

" pea-brain

Go **** yourself, asshole.

You've been put on "ignore" mode."

P*ssing on Lindsey in the Lindsey forum can lead to some counterbehaviour. All tongue-in-cheek with winks and laugh-emoticons. Doesn't work. He's touchy.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not that I "find nothing pleasing about his music"...I just think that people over-rate his guitar playing. Which apparently is akin to being Anti-George Bush. I still listen to his music quite often...more often than one would suspect. Just because I don't rate his guitar playing to God-like status is in no way a reflection of my enjoyment of listening to his music.

I still think Out Of The Cradle is one of the best albums of any artist of all-time. I think he was on his way to equalling or even MAYBE topping it with Gift Of Screws until it was railroaded into a less-than-satisfying Say You Will.

Last edited by chiliD; 04-05-2006 at 02:44 PM..
Old 04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
chiliD
Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM
chiliD
Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 PM
chiliD
Old 04-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not that I "find nothing pleasing about his music"...I just think that people over-rate his guitar playing.

thread 9 years too late......"I can't stand Buckingham-phase". And the total thrashing of the man the last two months. I don't know how to read Chili's comments anymore.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Ledgie

The instrumental introduction to This is the Time has got to be the most challenging thing he has ever written. He usually doesn't go that close to the "guitar god" kind of playing but this is awfully close.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I'm certainly no expert on the technical side, but I really love what he did with Love Minus Zero. You And I Part 1 is another favorite.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up

thread 9 years too late......"I can't stand Buckingham-phase". And the total thrashing of the man the last two months. I don't know how to read Chili's comments anymore.
Then don't read them...

...and for GOD's sake stop replying to them.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I still think Out Of The Cradle is one of the best albums of any artist of all-time.
This. I completely agree with... Great album! In many ways I look at it as a continuation of Tango In The Night...
Old 04-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
This. I completely agree with... Great album! In many ways I look at it as a continuation of Tango In The Night...
I don't like that one--I like your signature better, Peter. The jouissance went out of Lindsey's solo work at that point, & he began to think of himself as a late-phase Jean-Luc godard, constantly trying to call attention to the medium & making that the message.

Although I do like Soul Drifter & Say We'll Meet Again & one of the others, I can't remember the title.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
I can hear that. But, then I kind of think that Lindsey already HAD his OotC concept finished when Tango came along...just look at his contributions to Tango...he just wrote new songs to replace the ones he used on the Fleetwood Mac album:

Tango replaced by on Cradle

Big Love > Doing What I Can
Family Man > Surrender The Rain
Caroline > This Is The Time
You & I, Part 2 > Soul Drifter
Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I can hear that. But, then I kind of think that Lindsey already HAD his OotC concept finished when Tango came along...just look at his contributions to Tango...he just wrote new songs to replace the ones he used on the Fleetwood Mac album:

Tango replaced by on Cradle

Big Love > Doing What I Can
Family Man > Surrender The Rain
Caroline > This Is The Time
You & I, Part 2 > Soul Drifter

Yep, the one I can recall without going back to listen again is "Doing What I Can". It's Big Love, but sped up.