Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ann Coulter

If you've got some spare time, check out this thead in which I attempted to have a calm discussion on an Ann Coulter fan board--http://p210.ezboard.com/fanncoulterf...tart=1&stop=20

It all started when one of my professors said that Ann Coulter is one of the people he hates most in the world. I had never actually read any of her books, so I picked up her latest in Barnes and Noble and sat down to read through it. And I was quite horrified. So, I wanted to go onto this message board and ask people politely why they liked her. I didn't want to get personal at all--I just wanted to see what they were going to say, but this one person got really personal. And he (or she) had the audacity to bring things that I've said on other forums into the discussion, which I think is really rude. I was actually going to debate with the people who were being kind, but when that guy (or chick--still not sure) said my life is a lie (in those exact words), I was gone. Who wouldn't leave after that? I don't know what the average Ann Coulter fan is like, but these people make them look really bad. And I was really upset when they were talking about gay people being promiscuous. I don't announce all over the place that I'm a virgin and my intention is to be one until I get married (however impractical that is), but I have already told y'all about it. So, it really hurts my feelings when people start saying that gay people have lots of sex by virtue of the fact that they're gay. Just because I have a rainbow by my username does not mean I'm going after every woman who's willing to share my bed. But I know y'all know that. I'm just venting.

And if any of you decide to go read the thread, I'm Laennecfan on there, though that's pretty obvious anyway. And I know some of you (Curtis, Kate, Krista, and some others) already know my ezboard username, anyway.

dissention, you feel like trolling? I would love for you to give them a piece of your mind, but of course you realize they're incredibly far gone. And by the way, I showed my professor the "Strap-On Veterans for Truth" thing you posted earlier and he LOVED it. That made his day. I do love visiting The Ledge.

Oh wow, please forgive all of the rambling today.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
If you've got some spare time, check out this thead in which I attempted to have a calm discussion on an Ann Coulter fan board--http://p210.ezboard.com/fanncoulterf...tart=1&stop=20

It all started when one of my professors said that Ann Coulter is one of the people he hates most in the world. I had never actually read any of her books, so I picked up her latest in Barnes and Noble and sat down to read through it. And I was quite horrified. So, I wanted to go onto this message board and ask people politely why they liked her. I didn't want to get personal at all--I just wanted to see what they were going to say, but this one person got really personal. And he (or she) had the audacity to bring things that I've said on other forums into the discussion, which I think is really rude. I was actually going to debate with the people who were being kind, but when that guy (or chick--still not sure) said my life is a lie (in those exact words), I was gone. Who wouldn't leave after that? I don't know what the average Ann Coulter fan is like, but these people make them look really bad. And I was really upset when they were talking about gay people being promiscuous. I don't announce all over the place that I'm a virgin and my intention is to be one until I get married (however impractical that is), but I have already told y'all about it. So, it really hurts my feelings when people start saying that gay people have lots of sex by virtue of the fact that they're gay. Just because I have a rainbow by my username does not mean I'm going after every woman who's willing to share my bed. But I know y'all know that. I'm just venting.

And if any of you decide to go read the thread, I'm Laennecfan on there, though that's pretty obvious anyway. And I know some of you (Curtis, Kate, Krista, and some others) already know my ezboard username, anyway.

dissention, you feel like trolling? I would love for you to give them a piece of your mind, but of course you realize they're incredibly far gone. And by the way, I showed my professor the "Strap-On Veterans for Truth" thing you posted earlier and he LOVED it. That made his day. I do love visiting The Ledge.

Oh wow, please forgive all of the rambling today.
Rambling quite warranted, i would say I will read the thread shortly, and would love to give someone a piece of my mind...maybe the crazy part? but seriously, i would think it would be fruitless to try to argue with people who already like Ann Coulter. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. But honestly, if they think gay people are automatically promiscuous? It's like you're dealing with an IQ level of, oh, i don't know, RETARD? Ok, i'm gonna go read it...don't let it get to you personally, dear. It's not about you, it's about abject ignorance!!!! I know, it's hard. What one of my friends does, when anyone brings up something icky, or their icky opinion, or is acting icky, is she calmly and lovingly explains why she doesn't feel that way, and how we're all human and everyone needs to love each other, and everyone deserves respect. In other words, the best revenge is to be an absolutely loving and kind person - who could argue with that? But, yeah....i'm gonna go read it now...

Amber
Old 11-28-2004, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Rambling quite warranted, i would say I will read the thread shortly, and would love to give someone a piece of my mind...maybe the crazy part? but seriously, i would think it would be fruitless to try to argue with people who already like Ann Coulter. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. But honestly, if they think gay people are automatically promiscuous? It's like you're dealing with an IQ level of, oh, i don't know, RETARD? Ok, i'm gonna go read it...don't let it get to you personally, dear. It's not about you, it's about abject ignorance!!!! I know, it's hard. What one of my friends does, when anyone brings up something icky, or their icky opinion, or is acting icky, is she calmly and lovingly explains why she doesn't feel that way, and how we're all human and everyone needs to love each other, and everyone deserves respect. In other words, the best revenge is to be an absolutely loving and kind person - who could argue with that? But, yeah....i'm gonna go read it now...

Amber
Thanks Amber. I didn't go into it thinking I would argue--I was just gonna ask the question and then read their answers, but that one guy pissed me off and I just felt I had to respond, and then all bets were off.

The scary thing is that I don't think I'm deailng with retards, as you put it. I think they're all very intelligent, as I think Ann Coulter is also very intelligent, and that's what scares me. I hate to think that someone could be educated but still ignorant at the same time. It's far worse than someone who's a complete and utter idiot spouting idiotic things--these people and Ann seem to have much more of a command of the English language than that. And so they are in a much better position to manipulate other people into thinking they're right. It's frightening.

Okay, end of second rant.

Hillary
Old 11-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wow, macbers? Creepy.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadliestPoison
Wow, macbers? Creepy.
Is that in any way a reference to the Mac, you think? When I first saw that, it crossed my mind, but then I figured it must just be a coincidence.

Hillary
Old 11-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Thanks Amber. I didn't go into it thinking I would argue--I was just gonna ask the question and then read their answers, but that one guy pissed me off and I just felt I had to respond, and then all bets were off.

The scary thing is that I don't think I'm deailng with retards, as you put it. I think they're all very intelligent, as I think Ann Coulter is also very intelligent, and that's what scares me. I hate to think that someone could be educated but still ignorant at the same time. It's far worse than someone who's a complete and utter idiot spouting idiotic things--these people and Ann seem to have much more of a command of the English language than that. And so they are in a much better position to manipulate other people into thinking they're right. It's frightening.

Okay, end of second rant.

Hillary
ok, i'm about halfway through, and clearly part of the problem here is that some of the people think the Bible is THE TRUTH. I mean, how much ground can you gain if someone takes the bible literally that way? By the way, so far, i thought your arguments were great, and polite. yeah, it is scary when smart people feel that way...okay, i'm gonna go read the rest. But, in the end, and as my friend says "I love everybody" (she's bi) and isn't that really the point of the bible, anyway, sort of? Well, it should be... okay, i'll get back to you shortly...
Old 11-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ok, i'm about halfway through, and clearly part of the problem here is that some of the people think the Bible is THE TRUTH. I mean, how much ground can you gain if someone takes the bible literally that way? By the way, so far, i thought your arguments were great, and polite. yeah, it is scary when smart people feel that way...okay, i'm gonna go read the rest. But, in the end, and as my friend says "I love everybody" (she's bi) and isn't that really the point of the bible, anyway, sort of? Well, it should be... okay, i'll get back to you shortly...
Yeah, I would say you've pointed out the root of the problem. If people cannot accept that other religions and belief systems are just as valid, it's really hard to get anywhere at all with them. But, of course, I guess one can expect Ann Coulter fans to be Christian fundamentalists? I should've seen that coming.

Hillary
Old 11-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I would say you've pointed out the root of the problem. If people cannot accept that other religions and belief systems are just as valid, it's really hard to get anywhere at all with them. But, of course, I guess one can expect Ann Coulter fans to be Christian fundamentalists? I should've seen that coming.

Hillary
This is a good part, hope you don't mind...
"But you said something very important in that part of your post--you said that you disagree. Unfortunately, it is never so simple as people just disagreeing--they have to tell the other person that he or she is wrong. It seems that people rarely "agree to disagree" in these times. You favor organized religion, and I can say that I will probably never favor organized religion for myself. But having known some really fantastic Christians in my life, I cannot dismiss it altogether for other people, or deny the value it can have. And so I agree to disagree."

But i'm concerned cause right after that, the person was like "you can be with THE TRUTH or you can be with other people" (paraphrase) what kind of nut thinks their truth is THE truth? I mean, the person seems thoughtful and fairly intelligent, but come on! oh, here it is...
"You can do anything you want with the truth. When you refuse to accept it, you are only denying yourself the ultimate benefits that the truth promises, and consistently delivers.

Your life is a lie. Everything breaks down from there. "

Geez! Sounds like brainwashing gone amuck. ok, more in a minute...
Old 11-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As an aside, don't make me kick this person's ass...
"The Great Earth Mother for crying out loud...."
ok, just an environmentalist aside...
Old 11-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Whoa!

"On another misconceived note:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are they not fighting for a country in which many, many people make them feel inferior?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, nor anyone else, can MAKE YOU FEEL anything that you do not allow yourself to feel. If you already feel inferior in your homosexuality, don't blame me.

But, that would be a good place to start with the truth. "
Old 11-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

How did y'all start talking about "The Truth," anyway? I must have forgotten, what with all the condescension (is that a word?) going on.

Hi, Macbers. Truth? Sort of subjective. Just because it's true to you doesn't mean it's true to everybody. And if someone feels, thinks, speaks, acts differently than you do? Not their fault. Their cultural upbringing, society, geographical location, etc, all influence how we see the world and therefore how we see "The Truth."

I honestly don't understand how people can argue "The Truth," since it's different for everybody.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It would be my pleasure.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

um...

"Now, let's get back to trying to do the impossible with Laennecfan. Laene (may I call you Laene?), when you admit to yourself that you are in need of help, the Lord will help you if you ask Him. But you have to be persistant about it. Just asking Him once or twice won't do it. You have to show Him that you mean it. It's not a matter of any of us trying to get through to you but you allowing God's infinite Holy Wisdom to take charge. And as to that, you either will or you won't. "

Hokay! Well, there ya go!
Old 11-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is a good part, hope you don't mind...
"But you said something very important in that part of your post--you said that you disagree. Unfortunately, it is never so simple as people just disagreeing--they have to tell the other person that he or she is wrong. It seems that people rarely "agree to disagree" in these times. You favor organized religion, and I can say that I will probably never favor organized religion for myself. But having known some really fantastic Christians in my life, I cannot dismiss it altogether for other people, or deny the value it can have. And so I agree to disagree."

But i'm concerned cause right after that, the person was like "you can be with THE TRUTH or you can be with other people" (paraphrase) what kind of nut thinks their truth is THE truth? I mean, the person seems thoughtful and fairly intelligent, but come on! oh, here it is...
"You can do anything you want with the truth. When you refuse to accept it, you are only denying yourself the ultimate benefits that the truth promises, and consistently delivers.

Your life is a lie. Everything breaks down from there. "

Geez! Sounds like brainwashing gone amuck. ok, more in a minute...
Yep, that was pretty bad. I certainly don't mind you quoting me, since you were actually polite about it, whereas macbers just started acting like he knew all this stuff about me and I didn't even know where he was getting all of it! (I don't mean to be sexist and assume he's a guy...sorry about that).

The funny thing about that quote about 'you can accept the truth, or certain people,' etc, I think it's interesting because I think it's actually more inclusive than the person intended for it to be. Maybe the TRUTH in that quote can be one's own truth? Of course, the people on that board would not advocate for that, obviously. My point was that if it came down to some supposed "truth" about the universe, whatever origin that truth might have (Christianity, etc.) and I had to choose between it and my family, I would choose my family. I don't know why the guy was happy that I said that. I figured he was going to say that I should abandon my family if they won't accept Christianity as the TRUTH. Maybe he just didn't understand me. He wanted me to agree with him wholeheartedly so much that he imagined I did.

I don't know. End of rambling #3.

I'm really glad you're reading through it, Amber. It just makes me feel better for someone else to be pointing out how ridiculous it all is. The more the merrier.

Hillary
Old 11-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
um...

"Now, let's get back to trying to do the impossible with Laennecfan. Laene (may I call you Laene?), when you admit to yourself that you are in need of help, the Lord will help you if you ask Him. But you have to be persistant about it. Just asking Him once or twice won't do it. You have to show Him that you mean it. It's not a matter of any of us trying to get through to you but you allowing God's infinite Holy Wisdom to take charge. And as to that, you either will or you won't. "

Hokay! Well, there ya go!
One of the best parts! When I saw that, I couldn't do anything but start laughing!

Hillary