Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default what's the world coming to?

I have been ridiculously sad lately. It seems everyone in my life is going through some major trauma right now. Family deaths, cancer scares, depression, loneliness. It makes it really hard to figure out what the point of it all is. I get easily overwhelmed by life. Anyone else?

Where on your palm is my little line when you're written in mine as an old memory?

KATE BUSH
Old 05-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hang in there. I learned a long time ago, life is what you make it and it really does not get any better or worse - it just gets. So, to quote Tammy Faye Baker ( ) "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!" I know that is ridiculously simple, but the deeper meaning is make the best of everything, even when you feel like your life is fading

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cried at Star Wars.

I'm not a depressed or blue person, I just feel a lot of regret over things I haven't done and am bitter about certain things that I've wanted to do but haven't been able to. Such is life, I suppose.

Cheer up!

Old 05-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Hang in there. I learned a long time ago, life is what you make it and it really does not get any better or worse - it just gets. So, to quote Tammy Faye Baker ( ) "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!" I know that is ridiculously simple, but the deeper meaning is make the best of everything, even when you feel like your life is fading
Or as Dolly says, "You have to go through the rain to get to the rainbow."

I love Dolly AND Tammy so much.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I prefer "when life hands you lemons, shoot yourself in the face." But that might be just me. Just kidding. I know. It's the same old "it can't be that bad" thing. But I come from a long line of depressive people. When it gets bad, I take it all on and it takes over my everything. I'll move past this. I always do. But how many damn times does the world have to fall apart? It seems to come in tremendous waves. There is so much distress around me right now. Too much.

Where on your palm is my little line when you're written in mine as an old memory?

KATE BUSH
Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Yes, that's why we're loitering on a message board.
Exactly! At least that made me laugh...

KATE BUSH
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by all the same
I prefer "when life hands you lemons, shoot yourself in the face." But that might be just me. Just kidding. I know. It's the same old "it can't be that bad" thing. But I come from a long line of depressive people. When it gets bad, I take it all on and it takes over my everything. I'll move past this. I always do. But how many damn times does the world have to fall apart? It seems to come in tremendous waves. There is so much distress around me right now. Too much.

All I can offer is my life experiences. I thought my life would turn out differently. It did not. Som I made the best of it. I truly try to see the bright side of everything and it is VERY hard to do and I sometimes fail. If you are really really depressed, you might want to see a professional. Sometimes having an objective ear that is trained to help you can do just that. ALso, if it is a situation you can control, like a bad friend, etc., you have the power over your life and you can walk away. Good Luck to you.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All I can offer is my life experiences. I thought my life would turn out differently. It did not. Som I made the best of it. I truly try to see the bright side of everything and it is VERY hard to do and I sometimes fail.
I just read a study today that says cynicism begins very early in childhood. I was f*cked from the beginning.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
I just read a study today that says cynicism begins very early in childhood. I was f*cked from the beginning.

LOL - I am such a cynic - but being the Jedi I am, I trained myself not to let it get to me

Old 05-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Yep...

I get depressed every month like most women do. I cry for no reason and just get "down in the dumps". Then, it passes and I'm cool again. You will get through it, don't worry. I was an emotional wreck yesterday because of my dog and having to make the decision to put her down, but I was tons better today, having come to peace about it. Sure, it's still difficult and is going to be so next week, but she'll be free from pain and suffering. I love her, she loves me, and that's that.

We Ledgies are here if anyone needs to vent or whatever.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You are absorbing too much pain from others. Unplug, do something just for you that makes you feel good. Things are not all bad it only seems so, its a trick your mind plays on you when you are low.

What concerns me is that you say you come from a long line of depressive people. Depression is very steeped in biology so I would recommend that you do get help because it isn't normal and you don't have to live that way. My family is riddled with it and I've battled it with a lot of success and I'm happy today. If I didn't get help I'm not sure I'd be here. I'm also not sure my brother would be here since he just went through a severe episode which I helped him with. It broke my heart. But he is doing so well now. Anyway, if you would like, we can talk about this more offline.

I also want to point out that the world does extra suck right now, it isn't just you. But you can still feel good.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
You are absorbing too much pain from others. Unplug, do something just for you that makes you feel good. Things are not all bad it only seems so, its a trick your mind plays on you when you are low.

What concerns me is that you say you come from a long line of depressive people. Depression is very steeped in biology so I would recommend that you do get help because it isn't normal and you don't have to live that way. My family is riddled with it and I've battled it with a lot of success and I'm happy today. If I didn't get help I'm not sure I'd be here. I'm also not sure my brother would be here since he just went through a severe episode which I helped him with. It broke my heart. But he is doing so well now. Anyway, if you would like, we can talk about this more offline.

I also want to point out that the world does extra suck right now, it isn't just you. But you can still feel good.
Ditto to everything she just said. I knew she was going to say it better than I ever could.

I have to agree about professional help. It was an idea I was at first opposed to but it proved to help me through my teen years, which were pretty awful, though it's all relative.

I also agree that if you are in a situation in which you're suffering for others as well as yourself, you really should take some time out to focus on yourself, doing something for you that is much deserved.

Things aren't all peachy with the world in general, as she said, so I've no doubt that's affecting all of us to some degree. You're definitely not alone and don't ever hesitate to vent to us here on The Ledge. I think that's part of the reason why we're all here together.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks you guys. I think it is time for professional help for me. I've been a wreck since I was a teen. Battled suicidal thoughts (not so much in the capacity that I want to kill myself, but that I just no longer want to be), depression, loneliness, and a host of other things. But I think my biggest problem is that am a sponge for other people's pain. If someone is in pain, I can sense them from across the room and swallow all their pain and it absolutely knocks me on my ass. I really gotta do something about this because it's not really making my life work for me. I feel like I have a totally disfunctional life.

KATE BUSH
Old 05-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I have been ridiculously sad lately. It seems everyone in my life is going through some major trauma right now. Family deaths, cancer scares, depression, loneliness. It makes it really hard to figure out what the point of it all is. I get easily overwhelmed by life. Anyone else?
Me, too, I've been really sad. I'm sorry you have been. I always think life is pretty pointless, though. Usually, I don't care, but lately it's all been very douchebaggish. Although, I swear I would not feel this way if I had tons of money.. People say that's not the answer, but...I dunno...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Me, too, I've been really sad. I'm sorry you have been. I always think life is pretty pointless, though. Usually, I don't care, but lately it's all been very douchebaggish. Although, I swear I would not feel this way if I had tons of money.. People say that's not the answer, but...I dunno...
I agree. Give me a few million and I'll make things happen for myself, don't you worry. Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness was dead-ass broke, I tell ya.

I hope everyone who's feeling "douchebaggish" feels better.