Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Older Relatives

I thought I'd share how I feel on this subject. I was very close to my grandmother and great aunt who have passed away, and it really disheartens me when I see young people that dont want to spend time with their grandparents or other older relatives. Those memories of spending time with them will live with me forever, and young people that dont take that opportunity are really missing out. To this day, I have always felt a special connection to Senior Citizens. My great aunt always used to tell me stories about living through the great depression. I mean to hear first hand stories about that time in our country is priceless. And what makes me even more angry is when I see people just dump their relatives in a nursing home. I used to talk to the residents at a home where my friend worked, and it REALLY pissed me off seeing how disheartened that these people were that no one gived a damn about them anymore.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I thought I'd share how I feel on this subject. I was very close to my grandmother and great aunt who have passed away, and it really disheartens me when I see young people that dont want to spend time with their grandparents or other older relatives. Those memories of spending time with them will live with me forever, and young people that dont take that opportunity are really missing out. To this day, I have always felt a special connection to Senior Citizens. My great aunt always used to tell me stories about living through the great depression. I mean to hear first hand stories about that time in our country is priceless. And what makes me even more angry is when I see people just dump their relatives in a nursing home. I used to talk to the residents at a home where my friend worked, and it REALLY pissed me off seeing how disheartened that these people were that no one gived a damn about them anymore.
I have seen this happen all too often. Sometimes a nursing home really is the best choice, but for most people I know it's never an easy decision. I spent a ton of time with my paternal grandmother growing up and she was like a second mother and we are still very close, but I remember her telling me since I was little that one day I'd grow up and wouldn't ever come see her, etc...the whole guilt trip thing. I do try to see her or call her as often as I can and being 2.5 hrs apart doesn't help. It makes me sad that we don't keep in touch like we used to, sometimes it's just part of life, you grow up and everyone has their own worries. I am making her a cd of songs we used to sing together when I was little...and it makes me tear up a little...just a little

here's a couple of the songs - maybe they explain why I am the way I am...
would you tell me just a little bit more about jesus, wendy bagwell
you're the reason our kids are ugly, loretta lynn and conway twitty
purple people eater, ?
d-i-v-o-r-c-e, tammy wynette
have mercy, the judds
Old 09-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
I have seen this happen all too often. Sometimes a nursing home really is the best choice, but for most people I know it's never an easy decision. I spent a ton of time with my paternal grandmother growing up and she was like a second mother and we are still very close, but I remember her telling me since I was little that one day I'd grow up and wouldn't ever come see her, etc...the whole guilt trip thing. I do try to see her or call her as often as I can and being 2.5 hrs apart doesn't help. It makes me sad that we don't keep in touch like we used to, sometimes it's just part of life, you grow up and everyone has their own worries. I am making her a cd of songs we used to sing together when I was little...and it makes me tear up a little...just a little

here's a couple of the songs - maybe they explain why I am the way I am...
would you tell me just a little bit more about jesus, wendy bagwell
you're the reason our kids are ugly, loretta lynn and conway twitty
purple people eater, ?
d-i-v-o-r-c-e, tammy wynette
have mercy, the judds
You know, the good thing about you is that you try to keep in touch. I know its not easy sometimes, it's just the ones that really dont care that make me so mad.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
You know, the good thing about you is that you try to keep in touch. I know its not easy sometimes, it's just the ones that really dont care that make me so mad.
I agree. Or the ones who freeload or put their kids off on their parents while they continue to grow up while in their 30s/40s.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
I agree. Or the ones who freeload or put their kids off on their parents while they continue to grow up while in their 30s/40s.
That's exactly why I didnt want children, because at least at this point, I know for sure I woldnt make a good parent. I have alot of growing up to do
Old 09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My dad's parents are both in their 80s, and I make it a point to see them every time I visit my hometown (roughly twice a year).

My mother's father passed away 11 years ago. My mother's mother is an abusive drunk whom I have no interest in spending time with, so you'll have to forgive me for not wanting to be around that. Even now that she's in a nursing home with dementia, she manages to sneak booze into her room and get drunk. So, not all of us have hunky-dory memories of our older relatives.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
My dad's parents are both in their 80s, and I make it a point to see them every time I visit my hometown (roughly twice a year).

My mother's father passed away 11 years ago. My mother's mother is an abusive drunk whom I have no interest in spending time with, so you'll have to forgive me for not wanting to be around that. Even now that she's in a nursing home with dementia, she manages to sneak booze into her room and get drunk. So, not all of us have hunky-dory memories of our older relatives.
No, thats totally understandable
Old 09-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas

This is true. My maternal grandmother is nasty and my paternal is out of it. Neither of them ever show interest in me and how I am, they are very self involved. That is really sad because in your 70s the opposite should be true. I could tell stories that would make you barf or throw things, they were just not good mothers. I don't mean to disrespect them, they did have their good points too and I do love them. I just have to limit my exposure.