Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default San Diego Padres

Maybe it's me, but I'm actually rooting for the Padres to win the division with an under .500 record. As the 1973 New York Mets proved with a 82-79 record and taking the A's to game 7 of the world series, and the '87 Twins actually winning it all with an 85-77 record, it's what you do in October that counts.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They suck ass.

They would ****ing die against the Cards in the NLDS.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8472
They suck ass.

They would ****ing die against the Cards in the NLDS.
Youre probably right. But remeber the Braves can't seem to do anything in the postseason for al of their good regular seasons they've had. So anythings posible. Although I probably agree they wouldnt fare too well against the Cardinals.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really don't care who wins the divisions, so long as the Cardinals WIN the World Series this year.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No Tony Gwynn = no trophy for the Padres. It just seems like that has been the case.

The Cardinals would sweep them and embarrass them. They might even physically hurt them.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I really don't care who wins the divisions, so long as the Cardinals WIN the World Series this year.
I agree. I'm hoping the Cardinals go all the way this year. I've also been an Angels and Braves fan for a long time, but they'll just end up choking.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No Tony Gwynn = no trophy for the Padres. It just seems like that has been the case.

The Cardinals would sweep them and embarrass them. They might even physically hurt them.
Okay, no knocking my Padres! If only the rest of the year could have been like May when we went 22-4 or something and everyone liked us. This team doesn't have a leader and that's been their problem since Tony left to get even heavier and coach the San Diego State baseball team. Somedays I don't think the Padres could beat them.

IF we win the division it should be a fast exit save maybe one win by Peavy. I've been lucky enough to have attended every playoff (I'm still hoarse from the 84 Cubs series) and World Series games in San Diego but that streak will probably end this year in the smaller Petco Park.

Terry
Old 09-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Watch out Padres, my Giants are hot after taking 3 out of 4 from the Dodgers and are making a run for division title! Although it's very sad that a team 11 games under .500 has a chance.

But there's nothing like pennant fever.

GO GIANTS!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachwood Mac
Okay, no knocking my Padres! If only the rest of the year could have been like May when we went 22-4 or something and everyone liked us. This team doesn't have a leader and that's been their problem since Tony left to get even heavier and coach the San Diego State baseball team. Somedays I don't think the Padres could beat them.

IF we win the division it should be a fast exit save maybe one win by Peavy. I've been lucky enough to have attended every playoff (I'm still hoarse from the 84 Cubs series) and World Series games in San Diego but that streak will probably end this year in the smaller Petco Park.

Terry
I don't know how Tony ever played baseball. That man was rounder than a beach ball. But he did get it done.

I guess just getting to the playoffs would be an accomplishment and exciting for the fans tho. Even tho the games might not be pretty.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know how Tony ever played baseball. That man was rounder than a beach ball. But he did get it done.
I just remember ALL THOSE SINGLES! How many could have been for extra bases if he was about 30lbs lighter. You should see him now. He's a big boy!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's official... My team sucks and not in the good way.

DENVER (AP) - The San Diego Padres had "one of those nights" Tuesday, a debacle of a ballgame in which they looked nothing like a playoff team.

Coming off three straight tight and impressive victories, the Padres took a big step backward, allowing eight RBIs to Matt Holliday in matching the most lopsided loss in franchise history, 20-1 to the Colorado Rockies.

"Nobody got hurt," Padres manager Bruce Bochy said, trying to find a bright spot. "We got knocked out early in the first round."
Old 09-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another Padre memory of mine is watching them play on ESPN on labor day 2001 against the Cardinals and watching some stiff named Bud Smith pitch a No-hitter against them. I think to this day he's the worst pitcher record-wise to pitch one. I think his career record is like 2-4.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ouch!! the Padres got "Edged" last night by that powerhouse in Colorado 20-1
Old 09-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation As a Cubs fan...

all I have to say is the San Diego Who? Oh yeah, The team the 1984 Detroit Tigers destroyed in the World Series.

Well in other sports news, Seems the NBA's New Orleans Hornets may have found a new home...In Oklahoma City!!!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default And as a Padres fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
all I have to say is the San Diego Who? Oh yeah, The team the 1984 Detroit Tigers destroyed in the World Series.

Well in other sports news, Seems the NBA's New Orleans Hornets may have found a new home...In Oklahoma City!!!
Where were the Cubs that year - oh yeah, they choked yet again (and to the Padres, no less) and sat in front of their TV's watching the series.