Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Jailbirds

Ok, I'm so sick and tired of these dips*its whining about whether or not they get cable tv, or whatever other "Perk" they feel theyre entitled to in jail. I'm all for rehabilitation, but this aint playtime people. I've been told I'm heartless by some of my friends, but I look at it this way/ You did something wrong to land where you are, the last thing you should thing you deserve is a perk of any kind. Maybe I dont get it? But I really saw the light back in the 90's when I saw Richard Allen Davis, the creep that killed Polly Klaas sit there in court and taunt the girls father. I though to myself, this *&%^%^* is sitting in jail watching tv at my expense?!?!?! OH HELLLLLL NO!!! Now I realize that death row is different from other reasons why someone might land behind bars, but the basic reason everyone lands in prison is because they've done something pretty bad. I'd be curious to see what others think about this.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Or they've made a relatively minor mistake and are getting the book thrown at them when in comparison someone who has done a crime that is so much vaster in comparison gets a fine and some community service hours.

Not all prisons are like that. Cable TV. Haaaa. And anyhow, I believe that the true effect on a person of going to prison has nothing to do with what goes on inside of those walls. It's the family and friends those people have to leave behind that are damaged. It's coming OUT of prison, with the world having moved on without you. Never ABLE to actually rehabilitate because no one will hire you and you're treated as a leper. Somebody can be sentenced to jail for a year and have their whole lives ruined.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
Or they've made a relatively minor mistake and are getting the book thrown at them when in comparison someone who has done a crime that is so much vaster in comparison gets a fine and some community service hours.

Not all prisons are like that. Cable TV. Haaaa. And anyhow, I believe that the true effect on a person of going to prison has nothing to do with what goes on inside of those walls. It's the family and friends those people have to leave behind that are damaged. It's coming OUT of prison, with the world having moved on without you. Never ABLE to actually rehabilitate because no one will hire you and you're treated as a leper. Somebody can be sentenced to jail for a year and have their whole lives ruined.
Good point. I know if I was a business owner, I wouldnt autamatically dismiss someone as a job candidate just because theyd spent some time in the cooler, I'd look at each case individually.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Exactly.

I remember last year when people were so outraged over prisoners in jail being given flu shots when there was supposedly such a lack of supply. I hate the attitude that those in jail are somehow less than human. Just because they committed a crime, or crimes, and made mistakes, they don't deserve to be treated like animals. Then there are those who are offended that jails offer degree programs for the inmates. I'll never know why people are so opposed to it, but that's just me. One would think that people would embrace the idea of doing something with your life after making mistakes and think that it's something worth promoting.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Exactly.

I remember last year when people were so outraged over prisoners in jail being given flu shots when there was supposedly such a lack of supply. I hate the attitude that those in jail are somehow less than human. Just because they committed a crime, or crimes, and made mistakes, they don't deserve to be treated like animals. Then there are those who are offended that jails offer degree programs for the inmates. I'll never know why people are so opposed to it, but that's just me. One would think that people would embrace the idea of doing something with your life after making mistakes and think that it's something worth promoting.
I wasnt trying to give the impression that I think theyre less than human, I just dont like it when I hear stories about how good people sometimes have it behind bars. I believe these people are there for a reason. But the degree program doesnt bother me as much for certain offenders if they truly want to be a better person when they get out.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My 21-year old brother has been sitting in a county jail for a year and two months. He's never planned on going to trial, yet he still only PLED three weeks ago and will be sentenced in two weeks. Unless a miracle happens, he will be sentenced to five years in prison for trying to steal $100 from a convenience store register because he was hopped up and needed a fix. His cell is smack in the middle between a sex offender who molested at LEAST thirty children while he worked as an elementary school custodian on one side and a gentleman who brutally raped and murdered a 17-year old lifeguard at a pool a couple of years ago. Yeah. It's a walk in the park there. Please.

Meanwhile, a businessman in my hometown who stole tens of millions of dollars from his company, causing the company to go into bankruptcy and layoffs of hundreds was given six months in minimum security prison, and a fine of $20,000. Wow. My baby brother goes to jail for five years for a stupid MISTAKE, and isn't helped along the way by being put into some kind of rehab or boot camp, where he BELONGS? and this asshole gets what doesn't even COUNT as a wrist slap?

Prisons suck, but the legal system that puts people IN them is where the real bull**** lies.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People are put in prison because they made a consious choice to commit a crime!

The should NOT be afforded certain privleges that others get - ie: Cable tv.

I have no problem with degree programs because the key to getting rid of poverty and ultimately crime - IS education. That's for some crimes though...

A pedophile will still be a pedophile with or without a degree.

I think that prisoners SHOULD have the absolute bare minimum in prison.

They're not sub-human - but they also chose not to live within the means of society - so they are being punished.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My 21-year old brother has been sitting in a county jail for a year and two months. He's never planned on going to trial, yet he still only PLED three weeks ago and will be sentenced in two weeks. Unless a miracle happens, he will be sentenced to five years in prison for trying to steal $100 from a convenience store register because he was hopped up and needed a fix. His cell is smack in the middle between a sex offender who molested at LEAST thirty children while he worked as an elementary school custodian on one side and a gentleman who brutally raped and murdered a 17-year old lifeguard at a pool a couple of years ago. Yeah. It's a walk in the park there. Please.

Meanwhile, a businessman in my hometown who stole tens of millions of dollars from his company, causing the company to go into bankruptcy and layoffs of hundreds was given six months in minimum security prison, and a fine of $20,000. Wow. My baby brother goes to jail for five years for a stupid MISTAKE, and isn't helped along the way by being put into some kind of rehab or boot camp, where he BELONGS? and this asshole gets what doesn't even COUNT as a wrist slap?

Prisons suck, but the legal system that puts people IN them is where the real bull**** lies.

OH yeah - it's undeniable that there is a HUGE problem with the prison system.

People with petty drug crimes - ie- a pocketful of Marijuana shouldn't be in prison with hard core sex offenders...

The justice system's priorities are severely out of whack.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'm sorry about your brother and what happened to him. I hope he can get the help he needs. I probably struck a personal nerve ther wit you.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
People are put in prison because they made a consious choice to commit a crime!

The should NOT be afforded certain privleges that others get - ie: Cable tv.

I have no problem with degree programs because the key to getting rid of poverty and ultimately crime - IS education. That's for some crimes though...

A pedophile will still be a pedophile with or without a degree.

I think that prisoners SHOULD have the absolute bare minimum in prison.

They're not sub-human - but they also chose not to live within the means of society - so they are being punished.
Very well said. And fair
Old 09-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Shoot them!

I think prison/rehabilitation should only be for petty offenses (theft, etc) . I think if someone is guilty of rape (pedophiles or otherwise) or murder (beyond a shadow of a doubt, DNA evidence, caught red handed, confession, etc) they should get a bullet between the eyes. Get rid of the scum in our society. The crime rate is almost ZERO in countries with ZERO tolerence. Humane? No. But neither are their crimes.

It costs so much to house and feed these diabolical people for decades on end.

A bullet costs $1.00 at most.

To quote Alice in Wonderland...."off with their heads!"

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.

Last edited by reebokandlace; 09-21-2005 at 10:09 AM..
Old 09-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace
I think prison/rehabilitation should only be for petty offenses (theft, etc) . I think if someone is guilty of rape (pedophiles or otherwise) or murder (beyond a shadow of a doubt, DNA evidence, caught red handed, confession, etc) they should get a bullet between the eyes. Get rid of the scum in our society. The crime rate is almost ZERO in countries with ZERO tolerence. Humane? No. But neither are their crimes.

It costs so much to house and feed these diabolical people for decades on end.

A bullet costs $1.00 at most.
I agree with you, although I differ in that I think the Death Penalty should ONLY be for murderers.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 AM
strandinthewind
This message has been deleted by strandinthewind.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rape is a horrible crime. Child molesters can not be rehabed. Rapes can be brutal and can scar a person forever. Ask any child or person who has been brutally raped. It is a disgusting and painful crime to live through. Once a rapist always a rapist. Although usually the rapes get more and more brutal until it leads to one becoming a murdering rapist.

With or without the murder, it deserves death. Period.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.

Last edited by reebokandlace; 09-21-2005 at 10:14 AM..
Old 09-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebokandlace
Rape is a horrible crime. Child molesters can not be rehabed. Rapes can be brutal and can scar a person forever. Ask any child or person who has been brutally raped. It is a disgusting and painful crime to live through. It deserves death. Period.
I think you ought to be the one that pulls the trigger on all of these. Sounds like you'd have problem executing a 100 or so a day.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I think you ought to be the one that pulls the trigger on all of these. Sounds like you'd have problem executing a 100 or so a day.

Huh?