The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music
Thumbs down YouTube banning everybody

A couple months back, they banned PriestOfNothing. Last week, they hit SoupedUpCosmoGirl for account violations and removed all her videos. Yesterday they went after IllusionOfLove, and no more videos from her. Now they're going after Deardrah2u.

At this rate, in two months the only Fleetwood Mac/Stevie material on YouTube will be a bunch of gay German camwhores lipsynching to Edge of Seventeen. What's going on here?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oy. Yeah, it sucks balls. Youtube's getting sued by everyone and his brother, so they're trying to fight back. Looks like Veoh is the way to go now? I dunno, it's too bad. There was an article a couple weeks ago about Youtube, actually ... about how it has no sustainability because its users are used to an ad-free layout, and if they try to use ads to bring in revenue, it'll alienate viewers. Sigh.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't had any problems...

Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

copyright infringement is a bitch, no?

Seriously - I love YouTube - but the people who are being violated have every right to be miffed
Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike
A couple months back, they banned PriestOfNothing. Last week, they hit SoupedUpCosmoGirl for account violations and removed all her videos. Yesterday they went after IllusionOfLove, and no more videos from her. Now they're going after Deardrah2u.

At this rate, in two months the only Fleetwood Mac/Stevie material on YouTube will be a bunch of gay German camwhores lipsynching to Edge of Seventeen. What's going on here?
That was annoying. I had all of the good Cyndi videos up. Now, they mostly have the standard music videos, a few good performances from untoldsarcasm (good friend of mine, nice girl), and one jackass who is dead set on getting to believe Cyndi was stoned during a performance. Whaaatevah.

I know they want to cover their own asses - they're getting sued, aren't they? Or are very close to it? - but I think there's a double standard. No copyright material, but other people are allowed to upload a video of a man jerking off? Makes so much sense to me. And there are plenty of other people who have uploaded music videos.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
a bunch of gay German camwhores lipsynching to Edge of Seventeen

Phrase of the week.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

Phrase of the week.
It's funny because it's true!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A few tips:

Do not tag/describe/keyword fullname of the artist/video/etc
Do not allow uploads to be embedded at other sites
Upload videos that you're pretty sure will be restricted as "private" (you can share with friends/family...which is reasonable as who needs the entire youtube population viewing anyway?)

Personally, it wouldn't bother me if they disabled my account...
I have all in my possession and can easily share in other ways... ( e.g. sowhat )
Old 08-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure the Copyright Nazis patrol the site for the various record companies..

If the US Government watches the site for war videos and anything they don't want seen coming out of Iraq then sure as hell Warner Reprise do too.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
I have all in my possession and can easily share in other ways... ( e.g. sowhat )
That's the other way to look at it - hey, I still have the original videos! If anyone wants 'em, I'm not gonna say no. But it did really bug me when I first tried to log in and saw they'd booted me off.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
But it did really bug me when I first tried to log in and saw they'd booted me off.
Sure...probably made your cheeks burn a little...a rejection of sorts...oh well. Too bad I hadn't seen your collection...I would have liked to...another oh well. You could list what you have if anyone is interested in viewing...and/or I believe someone mentioned earlier another site for uploads. I noticed photobucket.com has the video upload option now.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD
Sure...probably made your cheeks burn a little...a rejection of sorts...oh well. Too bad I hadn't seen your collection...I would have liked to...another oh well. You could list what you have if anyone is interested in viewing...and/or I believe someone mentioned earlier another site for uploads. I noticed photobucket.com has the video upload option now.
i'm thinking of moving to Veoh, and just being discreet in my keywords. I'll see if I can compile a list of sorts, tho... I know I deleted some of the videos I uploaded there, and am kicking myself for it now. For example, some stuff from Heart's Soundstage, and I dont' think I have my LB videos anymore.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
i'm thinking of moving to Veoh, and just being discreet in my keywords
Sounds good...if you upload to a site please offer a link so I can view...thanks. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sadly, going by history here, that'll still be more interesting than upcoming tour...

THE Stephen Hopkins