Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Chances of UTS reaching #1

I've been following the sales everyday on amazon and have watched Under the Skin go from around #2000 a couple of weeks ago to #178 today. What are the chances of it reaching #1 at some point? I haven't bought any copies yet and plan on buying one for myself and probably another two for family members. just a thought
Old 09-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdfwiner View Post
I've been following the sales everyday on amazon and have watched Under the Skin go from around #2000 a couple of weeks ago to #178 today. What are the chances of it reaching #1 at some point? I haven't bought any copies yet and plan on buying one for myself and probably another two for family members. just a thought
Three chances:

Slim

Fat

None
Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Little Nicki
This message has been deleted by Little Nicki.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
Does anybody really even want Lindsey to suddenyl become super popular? We sure know Lindsey doesn't want that!
Are you kidding me? He wants it just as much as anyone else If not, why does he keep running back to FM to get his stuff released

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Little Nicki
This message has been deleted by Little Nicki.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

slim to none.

with the exception of bob dylan this week, #1 chart position is usually an indication of garbage.

unless a single on Under The Skin turns out to be a surprise runaway radio hit single, i wouldn't even entertain the idea of a #1 album.

but i think something in the top 50 would be really nice for lindsey.

having said all that, i do believe that because of the exposure during the Dance and Say You Will tours, this will be Lindsey's biggest solo seller.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

No, he won't hit #1 and he may not place very well unless the promotional machine cranks up... And soon!!

He's an artist with basically no profile on his own - who knows, it could be a building thing once he gets out on the road, but he's not really going to be on the road for a long time and we still haven't heard if the label is servicing radio with a single. It would give him a huge push if he hits one or two or all 4 of the late night talk shows, which I think he should do when he's in the NY area and in CA.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Here in the UK "Down on Rodeo" certainly has the potenial to be a number one, with the right hype and air play it would go down very well in my opinion. Off course that is never going to happen.

It's one of those songs with a really hooking melody line and riff. You don't have to be a lindsey/mac fan to like it. 50 Cent fans would probably find it catchy. It's a shame his album won't get any kind of promotion are media attention.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
Are you kidding me? Doesn't he always talk about hating all the success that comes with being in Fleetwood mac? Okay, maybe not the actual success, but the road to it, and all the side effects of it. The most recent quote:

"Fleetwood Mac has been one of the joys of my life, but that kind of success is a double-edged sword. You're under tremendous pressure to sell as much and as often as possible, to become an assembly line, to feed the philosophy"
I think he talks a good game, but he loves the life it gives him - who wouldn't

I think Mick (?) put it accurately in the DR doc that LB might see himself as the starving artist living in a cheap apt. enslaved to his art - but that is not the life he lives.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Probably not but we can dream can't we!!!

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 09-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it totally depends on what else is being purchased in music at the time. even so...

hello, snowball!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default lindsey #1....

Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's like oil and water. Lindsey and #1 just dont mix.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I think he talks a good game, but he loves the life it gives him - who wouldn't

I think Mick (?) put it accurately in the DR doc that LB might see himself as the starving artist living in a cheap apt. enslaved to his art - but that is not the life he lives.
The live he lives has nothing to do with the artistic values he has. He's proven that with 3 solo-albums and will again with his fourth.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
The live he lives has nothing to do with the artistic values he has. He's proven that with 3 solo-albums and will again with his fourth.
There is no doubt he is a brilliant artist.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
There is no doubt he is a brilliant artist.
I know that you rate him almost as high as I do, , but I think it is not only blablabla of him everytime he talks about the double-edged sword the FM-succes was in his life as an artist. He really struggles with it, and tries to put out music as he wants it. and the couple of times he did it on his own he didnot put any water in the wine. The only times he did that, he didnot do it under his own name. Something I respect highly. Despite the fact that he has 84 bathrooms.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenStateGirlie View Post
it totally depends on what else is being purchased in music at the time. even so...

hello, snowball!
No way. Sorry guys but I am sure the album won`t be a commercial success. Even worse, it will completely stay out of any public attention. It will be less than OOTC saleswise. A few thousand FM and LB fans will buy it. The rest won`t even get to know that there is a new album and if it wasn't like that it wouldn`t change a thing. LB is an absolutely unknown trademark. Even the well promoted SYW didn`t sell as good as they expected and FM was/is a trademark.
I am also absolutely sure that the number of sales has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the music. (I am pretty sure the album will be quite good, with new ideas and a fresh direction) A single hit is also impossible nowadays. I don`t think there even will be a single. I just hope that this won`t have any influence on the decision to release the second album next year. The lack of sales for OOTC was one reason for the 14 years-wait for this one...