The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Whats a good sales figure for UTS?

I would be very happy if it sells 100,000 copies. I think that's a good goal to shoot for. I know how poorly OOTS sold, which is total BS! I think it barely made it to 50,000?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

........1.......mine

Old 09-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
........1.......mine
Thanks buddy, I needed that laugh.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, some of the other ledgies and carnevaca can have one too.

The thing is, I really don't give a sh*t how it sells.

Although that second album HAS to happen quickly too. So I hope it sells enough to make that Fockin' WB happy.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I predict maybe 200,000 shipped. Hopefully more - but as of now, I hear no hit single and he is playing small venues.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I hear no hit single and he is playing small venues.
you've got that right. they barely played "peacekeeper" and "say you will" on the radio -- they definitely wouldn't give air time to solo lindsey unless it was a college radio station like wxpn [university of pennsylvania] and even that i doubt.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The thing is, I really don't give a sh*t how it sells.
Me neiter, but I bet Lindsey doesn't want a total flop.

Quote:
Although that second album HAS to happen quickly too. So I hope it sells enough to make that Fockin' WB happy.
How can it?! They won't be happy with the sales because it won't sell well, but they aren't promoting it so what else can they expect?

I hope it doesn't affect how quickly the next album will come out. I'm hoping his record contract was for 2 albums so he doesn't get dropped due to lack of sales on UTS and then spend ages looking for a new record company.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

50,000 if he's lucky!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie
How can it?! They won't be happy with the sales because it won't sell well, but they aren't promoting it so what else can they expect?
Guys, how exactly do you think they SHOULD promote it? They flogged the hell out of OOTC- all those videos, promo tours. I have a friend who was Lindsey's radio rep at the time who spent THREE solid weeks on the road with him just visiting radio stations, doing interviews.

They're going to rely on the built-in fanbase and the blogging world for this one, and that's okay. It'll get a couple of good write ups in Paste and the like. It'll get airplay on AAA stations like WXRT in Chicago. See examples like Richard Thompson, Bruce Cockburn, etc. That's actually the right place for the record. It's not going to be a huge success. It will be a critic's darling and sell modestly, and that's good.

If LB really wants both of these records out, he shouldn't be so hesitant on the whole Fleetwood Mac recording thing again. SYW sold modestly, and Warners wants to keep the band happy. They are releasing his albums for that very reason.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley View Post
. . . If LB really wants both of these records out, he shouldn't be so hesitant on the whole Fleetwood Mac recording thing again. SYW sold modestly, and Warners wants to keep the band happy. They are releasing his albums for that very reason.
Exactly!!!!

Also, they and the band and La Nicks promoted the living shiitte out of TISL and SYW and that worked to a degree, but nowhere near the success of essentially the same promotion for The Dance had.

In the end, without some hit single or fluke, the band, LB, and La Nicks are no longer the powerhouse sellers they once were, though the band and La Nicks sure can fill a venue. LB does not really have that luxury in his solo venture, but he is not as visible as the band or La Nicks. So, he really should not expect it and apparently he does not if we look at the rather small venues he's booked and I, for one, hope he sells.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I predict maybe 200,000 shipped. Hopefully more - but as of now, I hear no hit single and he is playing small venues.
No way. I wish it would sell that much but that is absolutely impossible imo.

It'll sell a couple of thousands records and I am not too sure that the live shows will sell O.K.

But I hope things develop better for him because I want him to proceed making music and another sales desaster could prevent him from releasing music in the future. I see him dumping the 2nd CD or converse it in a last FM CD in 2010 or so. That`s why I`d like to succeed the new album.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley View Post
They're going to rely on the built-in fanbase and the blogging world for this one, and that's okay. It'll get a couple of good write ups in Paste and the like. It'll get airplay on AAA stations like WXRT in Chicago. See examples like Richard Thompson, Bruce Cockburn, etc. That's actually the right place for the record. It's not going to be a huge success. It will be a critic's darling and sell modestly, and that's good.
Exactly. Look at Patty Griffin - she's not the most successful artist out there as far as sales, but she's highly acclaimed & has a small, passionate fanbase. I for one am thrilled that LB (and/or his management) wised up & decided to focus on his music & his hardcore fans, rather than promoting the **** out of it on dinosaur classic rock radio, trying to force it into the public's consciousness. That would be setting it up to fail, IMO.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Just thought of something. With the pre-sales of the shows, the ones where you buy the cd and the ticket - those cd's I believe will count towards the first weeks sales and subsequent weeks sales would they not? I remember when Prince was out on his last tour last year or the year before, each ticket bought included his new cd and each cd was considered a sale which counted each week towards the overall sales for that week. So this will help increase the numbers sold on the disc - unless they changed things since then. I know there was some flap over that sort of practice being done.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why do people here care so much about the sales figures?

I visit a few other messageboards belonging to my favourite bands (yes, I'm unfaithful to you!), none of whom are huge sellers, and there's never any talk about this kind of stuff.

I don't really care if I hear the new songs on the radio or what position it reaches in the chart, I just want a copy of the album and I want it to be good.

I do understand that people might be scared Lindsey won't release more if this isn't a big seller, but he and we should be realistic: most veteran artists like Lindsey don't top the charts but are steady sellers, and based on Lindsey's past chart performances I can't imagine he or his record company are expecting anything more than that.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope it will be his most successful album, possibly with a lot of recognition from critics and thT cd will become a kind of cult. That would be great for him and bring some positivity in FM world, I think.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI