The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music
Default Is there something wrong with wearing shorts?

Well, it's started getting up around 70 in Connecticut, and when I'm not working, I'm wearing shorts instead of pants. And for some reason, some jackass always drives past me, yelling homophobic comments, and this happens a couple times each summer. Usually "are you super?" or the ever popular "faaaaag!!!"

Christ, I'm straight as a rail, but... do some people have some kind of hangup about men wearing shorts? When it's 90 outside and the sun is beating down on me, I'm not going to suffer and wear jeans. Maybe my wolfman calves are a turnoff to some people?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
Well, it's started getting up around 70 in Connecticut, and when I'm not working, I'm wearing shorts instead of pants. And for some reason, some jackass always drives past me, yelling homophobic comments, and this happens a couple times each summer. Usually "are you super?" or the ever popular "faaaaag!!!"

Christ, I'm straight as a rail, but... do some people have some kind of hangup about men wearing shorts? When it's 90 outside and the sun is beating down on me, I'm not going to suffer and wear jeans. Maybe my wolfman calves are a turnoff to some people?
Are they short-shorts?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Are they short-shorts?
That was going to be my question, is the inseam like 1/2"?

I saw a woman jogging with shortie shorts on the other day and they had ridden up a bit in back so with every step a cheek would fall below the shorts.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You need to wear the baggy, long denim shorts that they wear in hip-hop videos. You know the ones ... the gangbang look.

In the gym, you need the below-the-knee court shorts the Lakers wear.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
... the gangbang look.
not in any Hiphop video I saw!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought that was you:

Maybe he was commenting on your bad dye job moreso than your shorts?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I grew up always liking to wear shorts. My mom would be put me in shorts in June after school was done and long pants would never touch my legs again until September. Remember how weird they felt after a few months of not? As a teenage in the 80's, the surfer look was popular (a la 'Jeff Spicoli' from Fast Times) so we were even granted the priviledge of wearing shorts to school if they reached your extended thumbs with hands at both sides. Once in college, it was quite done to wear your shorts (with the school logo) along with a heavy-duty 'Champion' hooded sweatshirt and boots. In the snow.

Ok, so that's a little extreme. But I do like shorts, yet where I live which is very 'hipster' shorts aren't very popular. Skin-tight skinny jeans are popular, with nerdy shirts and ironic looking shoes and eyewear. I think hipsters think shorts are too '90's' or something. Not ironic enough. Well, maybe a pair of cut-off jeans, worn with dark socks and slippers. That would be a hipster/ironic look.

I have one pair of shorts, which I bought a few years back. They're Old Navy 'cargo' shorts, and they are so comfy. Otherwise, I'm in trousers M-F so I don't need additional pairs.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Ok, so that's a little extreme. But I do like shorts, yet where I live which is very 'hipster' shorts aren't very popular. Skin-tight skinny jeans are popular, with nerdy shirts and ironic looking shoes and eyewear. I think hipsters think shorts are too '90's' or something. Not ironic enough. Well, maybe a pair of cut-off jeans, worn with dark socks and slippers. That would be a hipster/ironic look.
I thought the "hipster" thing these days is to wear those short high school gym shorts with the piping along the seams. I mean, who else is buying them at American Apparel? I LURVED those shorts back in the day. Perfect length, whacked-out colors, and quite sexy, actually. And being as vertically challenged as I am, they came down to the perfect length- at mid-upper thigh. The shorts they sell these days are ridiculous for short people- on me it's literally like wearing clown pants. If Daisy Dukes were back in style, I would be all over them in a heartbeat!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

could you post a picture of yourself in those shorts so we can give you points ?

Life is like a box of chocolates : full of nuts
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I thought the "hipster" thing these days is to wear those short high school gym shorts with the piping along the seams. I mean, who else is buying them at American Apparel? I LURVED those shorts back in the day. Perfect length, whacked-out colors, and quite sexy, actually. And being as vertically challenged as I am, they came down to the perfect length- at mid-upper thigh. The shorts they sell these days are ridiculous for short people- on me it's literally like wearing clown pants. If Daisy Dukes were back in style, I would be all over them in a heartbeat!
See, I never go into American Apparel or Urban Apparel or whatnot. So, I didn't know what was on the tables for this summer, but those high school 70's style gym shorts sound ironic enough to be hipster-compatible. I guess that would go good with white knee-socks with colored striping on top and blue trainers.

Even if that style sweeps the country, my shorts are never rising above my knee again. LOL. Besides, in some countries of the world like India- only young boys ever wear shorts. A gentleman man would never, no matter how hot it is. I've traveled so much,that I usually adopt the same mentality so as not to look like the 'ugly American'.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

when it hits upper 40's i bust out the shorts~
Old 04-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . If Daisy Dukes were back in style, I would be all over them in a heartbeat!
OMG

I may have to post a pic of myself dancing wildly on the pink formica countertop of the island in my old kitchen -- in DD's and a tight T. I believe was wearing boots and had a razor cut as well. I miss the early 90's

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
OMG

I may have to post a pic of myself dancing wildly on the pink formica countertop of the island in my old kitchen -- in DD's and a tight T. I believe was wearing boots and had a razor cut as well. I miss the early 90's
Don't be a tease, Barbara Bach! Post!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't be a tease, Barbara Bach! Post!
I'll have to find the pic., scan it, and then post

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, Savage, you never answered - are they short-shorts? If they're way above the knee, that's considered pretty damn short for men these days. Of course, no self-respecting stylish gay I know would be caught dead in shorty-shorts in public (drag shows excluded of course) so I don't get the homo comments.