Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Macbook...

So I've been thinking about getting a macbook. I have awhile to save up. I'm thinking about getting a new job(that pays more lol) and that will give me a raise. The only time I'll gte a raise at where I work now is if the minimum wage goes up LOL So I was just wondering if anyone here has a macbook and if they love them and if its worth the money. From what I hear they are worth the money.

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold that thought! Soon Apple should be releasing a new set of Macbooks with the newer Intel i3/i5 processors. Are they worth it? Probably not - there isn't much in the way of power saving, as the advancement is mostly in performance, which you probably won't need. But it does mean that their old editions will be sold much cheaper when the new models are released. They should be coming soon, as most other companies are jumping on the Intel i3/i5 bandwagon, and Apple can't afford to get left behind for too long - their fan base can only hold out for so long...
And, yes, Macbooks are good notebooks - http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...macbook+pro+13. I'm guessing you'll only need the standard Macbook instead of the Pro, however...
Also, OS X is, IMO, better than W7, so there's that too...
So, in conclusion, just wait about another month, and you should be able to buy one of their current makes for a couple hundred dollars less.
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I have had a Macbook for a little over a year now, one of the first of the new little ones with the aluminum chassis. It's the best decision I've ever made. This thing has amazing battery life, still runs like the day it was new, it's easy to use, compact, intuitive, no worrying about installing drivers, no worrying about viruses. These things just work correctly, period. I love all of the little neat features too: such as the power cord is magnetic: if you trip on it, it instantly unplugs your computer and it won't fall. The clickable trackpad is worth the price of admission alone. I don't know why nobody thought of it before now. My Macbook is never, ever off if I'm conscious. All of my friends have loved using mine so much, that they've gone out and bought their own Macbooks too! They're just great, easy to use, high quality, long lasting machines. You WON'T be disappointed.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I had a Macbook that lasted 4 years. Good little thing. Um... I have an iMac now and I prefer it much more... it's faster and has the RAM kicked up to 12 GB. Sweet little machine. If you need the portability though, guess you gotta go with a Macbook.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I have had a Macbook for a little over a year now, one of the first of the new little ones with the aluminum chassis. It's the best decision I've ever made. This thing has amazing battery life, still runs like the day it was new, it's easy to use, compact, intuitive, no worrying about installing drivers, no worrying about viruses. These things just work correctly, period. I love all of the little neat features too: such as the power cord is magnetic: if you trip on it, it instantly unplugs your computer and it won't fall. The clickable trackpad is worth the price of admission alone. I don't know why nobody thought of it before now. My Macbook is never, ever off if I'm conscious. All of my friends have loved using mine so much, that they've gone out and bought their own Macbooks too! They're just great, easy to use, high quality, long lasting machines. You WON'T be disappointed.
That's all pretty accurate, except I'm not sure about the clickable trackpad - haven't all trackpads been that way for several years now?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered

I bought a MacBook for school this past summer. I love it, I've always wanted a Mac, and I'm glad I put the money down. I bought the 15", but if I had to do it over again I probably would have bought the 12". The 15" is wonderful, but I use my desktop PC at home and have no reason to carry around a giant laptop for school.

I'm sure it'll come in handy when I move out in a few years, though.

The only downside I've faced with this computer is the unibody-keyboard. I spilled a tablespoon of cranberry juice into the computer, and to fix it as Apple wanted to, it would have ran about $600.00 even under warranty.

Instead, I got the keys replaced individually and that was free.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ on the upside if your laptop ever gets a UTI you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks guys! I'm thinking about getting one in the next couple months. I just gotta save up A LOT after my trip to Disney next week. I'll obviously be on a payment plan cause I cant fork up $1000 up front lol Well I could but I dont have the heart to just give up $1000 on the spot lol

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
^ on the upside if your laptop ever gets a UTI you'll have nothing to worry about.
& I thank you for posting.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcConville View Post
& I thank you for posting.
that's right. come to me with all your computer problems, folks, i'm a genius.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am going to be graduating soon and I want to get a new computer afterwards. I've pretty much put mine through hell and back with all the stuff I've downloaded and carrying it back and forth across campus. I have an HP (and I do love it) but I want to get a Macbook as well. I was wondering though...I've heard once that there are a lot of compatibility issues with them. Is this still true? I have extra programs like photoshop and so on and I download a lot of music and stuff. Would switching to a Macbook complicate things too much???
Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
That's all pretty accurate, except I'm not sure about the clickable trackpad - haven't all trackpads been that way for several years now?
Even my other half's new Dell still utilizes mouse buttons below his track pad. His pad definitely isn't clickable either. And his trackpad is so tiny too. I love the size and utility of the Mac one: you can double or single click with the pad, you can use it to scroll, zoom in/zoom out, enlarge text, etc. I think it's a brilliant little feature.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyBlueEyes View Post
I was wondering though...I've heard once that there are a lot of compatibility issues with them. Is this still true? I have extra programs like photoshop and so on and I download a lot of music and stuff. Would switching to a Macbook complicate things too much???
Most all programs on PC are available for Mac (not all, mind you). I am running the Microsoft Office suite on mine (I'd rather not have ANYTHING Microsoft on my computer, but unfortunately their software is the world standard). Unfortunately, you'll probably have to buy/download all of your programs again for Mac compatibility. Unless there's some secret I'm unaware of.

Thankfully compatibility isn't an issue with hardware. Things like cameras, printers, and such don't even require any software installation or driver installation on Macs. You just plug them in and the computer instantly recognizes them an they work. Easy as pie.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Most all programs on PC are available for Mac (not all, mind you). I am running the Microsoft Office suite on mine (I'd rather not have ANYTHING Microsoft on my computer, but unfortunately their software is the world standard).
Open Office has excellent support for MO formats, and many others. http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...ice+3.1+review I regularly use Open Office and save documents with .doc instead of .odt, .xls instead of .ods etc. (and, yes, it supports the XML formats too), because they're the more common formats.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been a Mac convert for several years and I have never, not even once, regretted it. everything is so much simpler and faster and worthwhile when using a Mac.