Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Volcanic ash shuts down air space across Europe

April 15, 2010
Heathrow, world’s second busiest airport, and much of Europe affected
msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated 43 minutes ago

LONDON - Ash clouds from Iceland's spewing volcano disrupted air traffic across Europe on Thursday as authorities closed air space over Britain, Ireland and the Nordic countries.

Tens of thousands of passengers were stranded as flights were canceled and it was not clear when it would be safe enough to fly again.

Britain's Civil Aviation Authority said non-emergency flights would be banned in all airports until 1 a.m. EDT Friday (6 a.m. local time). Irish authorities also closed their air space for at least eight hours, along with closures by aviation authorities in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

Shutdowns and cancellations spread to France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland, Sweden, Finland and Switzerland.

London's Heathrow airport, Europe's busiest, handles upwards of 1,200 flights and 180,000 passengers per day. The closure also affected London's second- and third-largest airports, Gatwick and Stansted.

'Significant threat'
The volcano was sending up smoke and ash that posed "a significant safety threat to aircraft," Britain's National Air Traffic Service said, as visibility is compromised and debris can get sucked into airplane engines.

"I just wish I was on a beach in Mexico," said Ann Cochrane, 58, of Toronto, a passenger stranded in Glasgow.

In Iceland, hundreds of people have fled rising floodwaters since the volcano under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier erupted Wednesday for the second time in less than a month. As water gushed down the mountainside, rivers rose up to 10 feet by Wednesday night.

The volcano's smoke and ash poses a threat to aircraft because it can affect visibility, and microscopic debris can get sucked into airplane engines and can cause them to shut down.

In Paris, all flights north were canceled until midnight. At Copenhagen's international airport, where spokesman Henrik Peter Joergensen said some 25,000 passengers would be affected there.

"At the present time it is impossible to say when we will resume flying," Joergensen said.

Volcanic ash is formed from explosive eruptions. Particles as hard as a knife blade range in size from as small as 1/25,000 inch to 1/12 inch, the Geological Survey says. Ash can melt in the heat of an aircraft engine and then solidify again, disrupting operation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36543312...ld_news-europe