Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Volume 6 - Year of the Mac: 1992/1993

This is double-dose in the "Year of the Mac" series. Since this time was kinda strange with the different and changing incarnations of the band, I thought this would be interesting.

Post youtube videos, news articles, demos, photos, comments, etc pertaining to Fleetwood Mac in the years 1992 and 1993.

Last edited by MacShadowsBall; 12-03-2011 at 05:37 PM..
Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac, 1992 CNN interview

Old 12-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1992-1993

December

January

February

November

Last edited by SteveMacD; 12-06-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
1993November
Quite the rare photo of Christine McVie & Dave Mason being in the same room at the same time...both coming out alive & unbloodied.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Quite the rare photo of Christine McVie & Dave Mason being in the same room at the same time...both coming out alive & unbloodied.
Wonder if this is the old "split screen" effect?

John
Old 12-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

]
Sometimes I wonder why this wasn't enough for the Fab 5 to get back together. I guess it took another 4 years for everybody's feelings to be right again.

Back in 1992/1993 , what did you guys think of this performance and of Fleetwood Mac in general? Did you think this would turn into more than what it was?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Back in 1992/1993 , what did you guys think of this performance and of Fleetwood Mac in general? Did you think this would turn into more than what it was?
Yes, I did and I was disappointed when nothing came of it. But even when Lindsey showed up in 1990, I was hoping that that meant they might record again. So, I was sad then too. Michele
Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Sometimes I wonder why this wasn't enough for the Fab 5 to get back together. I guess it took another 4 years for everybody's feelings to be right again.
Lindsey was in the process of putting his first solo tour together and establishing himself as a solo artist. He had spent five years trying to distance himself from the band and wasn't about to rejoin. Stevie was super pissed at the band as it was, and really had no interest in being in it anymore. The other three were game, though Christine had retired from the road by that point.

Quote:
When 1992 started, the band was in shambles. Stevie and Rick had already quit the band, and Christine was off the road. I thought it was over, but I wasn't too upset. With a new Zoo album (that featured a Bramlett), a John solo record, and the long awaited first post-Fleetwood Mac album from Lindsey, things were looking up. Lindsey's album was brilliant, but sterile. John's album had a few great pop gems, but was somewhat bland at times, though Billy's contributions were amazing. The Zoo were too bar band metal for my tastes, but there was potential. I got to see the Zoo at a bar here in town, and actually got to sing with Bekka for a sec. I thought Bekka was an amazing performer. I thought that the Zoo would be an acceptable substitute for Fleetwood Mac if the latter was no longer around. It was at this show that Mick got me hip to Dave Mason. (I kid you not, the next day I put on "Alone Together" and thought this guy needed to be in Fleetwood Mac.)

When Clinton used "Don't Stop," I thought there was a chance there would be a new Fleetwood Mac. I didn't see Stevie or Lindsey coming back. Mick, John, Burnette, Bekka, and maybe Thorpe, Lola, Mick Taylor, or even Dave Mason. When the box set came out, I remember not really wanting it. A friend said that there were a few unreleased game changers on it, so I had to get it. Good call. It seemed as if anything was possible for the band.

I thought the Inauguration performance was horrid. Stevie looked and sounded bad. Lindsey playing through a Marshall seemed goofy. Having EVERYBODY up on stage, including Jacko being front and center, killed their rock cred (which had already taken a beating with "Alternative" rock). It hurt all of them for a few years. I was also pissed that Billy Burnette, who was still a member of the band, was not allowed to play. Yeah, I know he wasn't in the "Rumours" band, but he was still in the band at that moment.

I was glad that Stevie was out of the band. I thought her look and performances were hurting the band. It was getting in the way at that point. I was happy when they announced that she wouldn't be playing the Super Bowl pre-show. I was hoping the band would just announce that Bekka Bramlett was the new singer (since it was obvious she was going to be the new girl).

I was shocked to see Rick Vito at the Super Bowl pre-show. He had quit the band. Since this was just a one-off, I thought it was cool that he got a swansong. I really wish he hadn't quit the band, but I understand how frustrating it had to be dealing with band/label politics, and having the best material left off the record.

A few weeks later, I remember being sad to learn that Billy Burnette quit the band. I thought he was a good fit with Mick, John, and Christine, and had hoped to hear more from him.

I saw Lindsey with an army of guitarists in July, and it was awesome. You could tell he was enjoying not having to deal with band politics, but was frustrated that he couldn't shake the "ex-Fleetwood Mac" tag.

Billy's country solo album was a pleasant surprise. With a few tweaks, there were some gems that would've sounded great with Fleetwood Mac. He's another one they let get away too easily.

I remember reading in Rolling Stone that Bekka had officially replaced Stevie. A few weeks later, I found out that Dave Mason had also joined. I really couldn't wait to hear what they would come up with.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was also pissed that Billy Burnette, who was still a member of the band, was not allowed to play. Yeah, I know he wasn't in the "Rumours" band, but he was still in the band at that moment.
I completely agree. That's part of the problem when a band's "original" lineup get back together, the ones that joined later on are sent away.

Quote:
I was glad that Stevie was out of the band. I thought her look and performances were hurting the band. It was getting in the way at that point. I was happy when they announced that she wouldn't be playing the Super Bowl pre-show. I was hoping the band would just announce that Bekka Bramlett was the new singer (since it was obvious she was going to be the new girl).
Interesting. Coming from the perspective of having a healthy Fleetwood Mac, I can understand your opinion. Though too I can imagine a lot of Stevie's fans would have liked to seen her.

Excellent point made about everybody joining them on stage and the whole rock cred thing!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I remember reading in Rolling Stone that Bekka had officially replaced Stevie.
I'm not sure that was the way they reported it. Bekka wasn't necessarily "replacing" Stevie. She was just a new band member. I know it's just semantics, but "replacing" sounds like "Oh, we have to get a new Stevie!" Billy and Rick did replace Lindsey because a guitar is an essential part of a band. A blonde girl singer isn't.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-11-2012 at 12:26 AM..
Old 12-30-2011, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
1992-1993

December

January

February

November
In that quick clip that shows them in the dressing room (while Mick is talking about waiting to go on stage), you see Stevie sitting in a chair with someone tending to her hair. It appears that she's blowing a huge billow of smoke out of her mouth! Am I just seeing things, or did she just take a hit of pot?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-30-2011 at 02:25 AM..
Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
In that quick clip that shows them in the dressing room (while Mick is talking about waiting to go on stage), you see Stevie sitting in a chair with someone tending to her hair. It appears that she's blowing a huge billow of smoke out of her mouth! Am I just seeing things, or did she just take a hit of pot?
At first I thought it was a blast of hairspray but indeed the smoke or whatever does appear to be coming out of her mouth.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry that I don't know how to make this a little more focused, or how to fine tune the tracking or whatever. But I'll put it up anyway.

1993- Dont Stop Interview