Lindsey Buckingham

Aug 18
Lindsey Buckingham
9 p.m. Saturday
One Eyed Jacks
615 Toulouse St.
569-8361
www.oneeyedjacks.net

The threadbare window dressing "An evening with" so-and-so is one of concert advertising's falsest modesties. Lindsey Buckingham, without opening act or accompaniment, within arm's reach at One Eyed Jacks, more than qualifies. As the delicate fulcrum of Fleetwood Mac's Californicating sequel — i.e., the one everyone knows — Buckingham wrote, arranged, produced and played an incredible spectrum of piercing guitar pop: gusty FM stalwarts ("Monday Morning," "Go Your Own Way"), dewy, sunlit diamond-cut gems ("Never Going Back Again," "I Don't Want To Know"), pre-Clintonian platitudes ("Don't Stop") and post-breakup, obsessive-compulsive thinkpieces (most of his work on Tusk). In Fleetwood Mac, his bracingly thin tenor and nimble fingerpicking accented Christine McVie's mauve soft rock and grounded the fanciful flights of division belle Stevie Nicks. On his six solo records, Buckingham has steadily shed all outside distractions, spinning understated webs using only those two marvels of sound; last year's self-released Seeds We Sow finds shelter in patches of acoustic sweetbrier and brittle vocal bramble. It's not exactly tall grass, but at age 62, it'll more than do. Tickets $60. —

Noah Bonaparte Pais

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why are they using that hat to promote Lindsey's show? If that was actually a signature piece of his wardrobe, heaven help me. Not that the Mirage hat wasn't cute -- a little small for his head though.

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2012...aturday-night/

Saturday night at One Eyed Jacks, Aquarium Drunkard presents an evening with Lindsey Buckingham. We’re giving away a few pairs of tickets to AD readers. To enter, leave you name, an email we can reach you at and your favorite Mac album. Winners notified via email; tickets held at will-call.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lindz-2.jpg (49.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was mystified by the generic hat picture, too. Didn't Lindsey's publicist provide them with anything to use instead?

And I hated that Mirage hat! It looked like he'd stolen it from Gilligan. It still beats the dreadful "Eraserhead" look that was to come a couple years later, though.

I'll be at the New Orleans show. I'm hoping that the GA set up and the open dance floor in front of the stage will give this show a more interactive vibe, similar to what it was like in years prior when you could stand at the stage and soak all that energy up at full intensity.

Sitting and appreciating quietly has its virtues, and I certainly enjoyed the other shows, but there's nothing like experiencing ISA's guitar solo with Lindsey inches from you and pretty much in your face.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/...solo_tour.html

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham's solo tour connects him to his 'center'

Published: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 4:11 PM Updated: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 4:17 PM
By Keith Spera, The Times-Picayune

When guitarist/vocalist Lindsey Buckingham and his then-girlfriend, Stevie Nicks, joined Fleetwood Mac on New Year’s Eve 1974, the band went from being a moderately successful, blues-based ensemble to a global juggernaut. The second Mac album with Buckingham and Nicks, 1977’s “Rumours,” remains one of the best-selling albums of all time.

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham brings his solo tour to One Eyed Jacks in the French Quarter on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012.
Among Buckingham’s contributions? The ubiquitous “Go Your Own Way.”
Buckingham has also sustained a solo career that focuses on his more esoteric guitar explorations. He's alone onstage during his current tour, which stops at One Eyed Jacks, 615 Toulouse St. in the French Quarter, on Saturday, Aug. 18.

On this tour, he performs material from his current “Seeds We Sow” album, previous solo works and Fleetwood Mac classics, remade as solo ruminations.

"As I've grown as an artist, I've gotten more and more in touch with my center, and that center is voice and guitar," Buckingham has said. "Over time it has become increasingly vital to express more with less. That is my touchstone now, and the embodiment of that philosophy is what will be largely represented in the new show. I've been thinking of doing this kind of tour for a while, and am quite excited to be doing something new, something outside my comfort zone."

The Buckingham show at One Eyed Jacks is "an evening with" -- he is the only performer, and there is no opening act. It is also a non-smoking show.

Tickets are $60.

Those who purchase tickets online through Ticketweb can pick up a wristband at the venue starting at 6 p.m. on Saturday. Ticket buyers must have a valid ID that matches the name on the Will Call list. If more than one ticket was purchased, all persons in the party must be present to receive a wristband. Buyers can pick up a wristband and then enter the club later, after doors have opened.

Related topics: lindsey buckingham, one eyed jacks

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

I will be there also Soda! Johnnystorms, gypsy333, gypsyrhiannon, summerlongBoots, any of yall making it?

Last edited by LorraineRN; 08-17-2012 at 02:22 AM..
Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i'll re-add tweets from last night later... but here's the review from someone who also tweeted; plus bunch of very nice clear photos from New Orleans newspaper at the bottom:

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/...medium=twitter

Small club, 'small machine,' big sound: Lindsey Buckingham rocked solo at One Eyed Jacks
Published: Sunday, August 19, 2012, 4:33 PM Updated: Sunday, August 19, 2012, 4:48 PM
By Alison Fensterstock, The Times-Picayune

The stage at One Eyed Jacks Saturday night, in anticipation of Lindsey Buckingham, looked surprisingly bare. There was no forbidding security team, no extra sound personnel, no barriers at the stage’s edge, not even a chair by the microphone – just a spotlight and a couple of bottles of water. A rack of half a dozen very nice guitars in the wings stage right was the only hint that the night’s featured entertainment was a bona fide rock legend, veteran of inaugural balls, multi-platinum albums and one of the most complicated and dramatic band soap operas in musical history.

Enlarge Erika Goldring

Lindsey Buckingham performs at One Eyed Jacks on August 18, 2012, in New Orleans, LA. (Erika Goldring Photo)

Lindsey Buckingham at One Eyed Jacks gallery (6 photos)

Looking casual and weathered in jeans and a black leather jacket, Buckingham took the stage with little fanfare. He played two songs – his own “Cast Away Dreams” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Bleed to Love Her” - before introducing himself, and his new, pared-down performance concept, to the crowd.

“Thanks for coming to this intimate setting, to be part of this little experiment I’m doing here,” he said.

Lately, he said, he’s been thinking in terms of the “big machine” versus the “small machine.”

“The big machine is Fleetwood Mac,” he explained. “The small machine is the solo stuff.” As a solo artist, he said, he’d once taken out a ten-piece band on the road. Then, for a while, it was “the same three guys.”

“And now,” he said, “I seem to be up here on my own.”

“You’re not alone!” came a voice from the crowd. “We’ve always been here with you.”

Indeed, lots of people were there with him, ready to go whichever way Mr. Buckingham’s evolving muse dictated.

Ryan von Hesseling, who owns One Eyed Jacks along with Rio Hackford, estimated that the $60 ticket price for Buckingham’s concert is nearly twice as much as One Eyed Jacks’ previously highest-priced gig.

But even on a rainy August night, fans were lined up patiently down the block outside the venue. According to Hackford and von Hesseling, the performance sold out well in advance; extra tickets released for sale on Saturday night went speedily as well. Most in attendance appeared to be close to the artist’s own age; many audience members passed the wait time reminiscing about Fleetwood Mac shows past, and the name of the fabled New Orleans venue the Warehouse was overheard more than once.

I was one of several attendees who risked impoliteness by asking Mr. Hackford just how he landed such a big fish. Actually, he said, it was pretty easy – the club saw the available dates, bid and won. The independently owned, 400-odd-capacity spot was apparently just what Mr. Buckingham was looking for.

“He wasn’t interested in the House of Blues,” Hackford said. “He didn’t want to do the big venues.”

It was a good choice; small machine, small room. One Eyed Jacks chose not to put out additional seating (and Buckingham’s extra staff appeared to consist of one guitar tech) so the vibe in the room was as casual and intimate as for any local band. Fans packed the showroom standing shoulder to shoulder, close enough to the stage’s edge to easily touch the artist as he ran through a sixty-minute set drawn from his fairly extensive solo catalog.

Buckingham isn’t a technical guitar hero on the level of Mac founder Peter Green, which was a topic of debate overheard in several corners of One Eyed Jacks Saturday night. (In Rolling Stone magazine’s most recent tallying of the hundred greatest guitar players of all time, Buckingham placed #100; Green was #58.)

(Listen here to a pre-Buckingham Fleetwood Mac concert, recorded in 1970 at the Warehouse in New Orleans.)

If there is anything he might lack in technical wizardry, though (and really, placing on that list at all probably makes any discussion about lack of skill moot) he makes up for it a thousandfold in emotion. Averaging one guitar per song, Buckingham’s pounding, finger-picking style – reminiscent of his contemporary Richard Thompson - cascaded over the crowd in a shower of notes, interweaving with his passionate baritone bellow. He seemed as carried away, at points, as the audience was, closing his eyes for most of the performance. After finishing the cathartic breakup tune “Come,” he hollered “Yeah!” and nodded his head, as if he’d just been the one listening, not playing.

This bare-bones version of Mr. Buckingham’s solo tour has been going on for a while, and a look at his recent reviews confirms the “big machine/ small machine” comments are a regular part of his repartee. As he spoke, though, it seemed less like a practiced line of patter than a sort of mantra, repeated as much for himself as for the audience. (According to One Eyed Jacks staffers, Buckingham meditated alone in the dressing room before the show.)

Toward the end of the set, he revisited the big machine/small machine concept.

“It’s the smaller scale thing that allows us to keep moving forward,” he posited. “To keep being an artist, and to keep taking risks.”
Interestingly, though he did perform his signature Fleetwood Mac hit “Go Your Own Way,” it was not the note he chose to go out on. The set closer, “Seeds We Sow” – the title track of his most recent album – referenced his present, not his grand past.

A half hour later, as fans still milled about in the front bar of One Eyed Jacks, Mr. Buckingham – a slight figure, once offstage – slipped through the crowd and out the front door, nearly unnoticed. Where was he off to, I asked von Hesseling, imagining a five-star hotel, a tricked-out tour bus or a sumptuous late dinner.

“He’s getting in his small van,” Hesseling answered. “He has to be in Orange, Texas tomorrow.”