User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Wink I liked Mick's first book better

I finally got around to picking up Mick's "Play On" during my summer vacation. It was a good read but I kept on thinking how much I enjoyed the first book better. Here are several reasons.

When Mick's first book came out in 1990 there were never before road stories that were told. Stevie Nicks actually went to the press and threatened a lawsuit right before the book came out. Mick dished on their relationship which was never public before. Mick was the first to talk openly how bad Stevie's drug problem was affecting her career by falling off the stage at least twice during RAL. Mick was open about his bankruptcy and how Christine gave him $50k. But the story of Lindsey's fight at Chris's house when Lindsey left took the cake. That was drama on steroids and it made for such an interesting read.
But these stories are not the only reason I liked the first book better. In 1990 when Mick's first book came out, the Mac was in a huge transition. They recorded and toured without Lindsey. It was a great way to end the book because it was a new beginning. I was hoping the new book would pick up where the old book let off. Stevie was zonked on tranqulizers but he never mentions any of it. Mick and Stevie's huge fight over Silver Springs is not even mentioned. Even thought both Stevie and Chris said they would record with the band it was the Silver Springs moment that had Stevie saying "I quit." How could Mick not write about this? In fact Mick spends about a half a page about Behind the Mask and Billy and Rick. Mick was kind to Bob Welch in the book but he never talks about Bob's suit against the band or at least get the band or Mick's perspective on the lawsuit. If you are going to write a book, does it not make sense to write about these big things when a former member sues you and hates your guts and you wont even talk to him.
Anyway it just seemed Mick wrote a quick and nice book prior to this huge world tour. I would have liked to see him spend some more time on it and give the readers some inside secrets or something that has not been released before. I missed the stories from the first book how Mick was investigated by Australian authorities for smuggling drugs into the country (he never smuggled drugs but the Australians always believed he was). Crazy stuff like that. Or how when Stevie and her friends took acid and could not find their way to the airport to pick up Mick.
I hope I am not sounding harsh because here are the things I really enjoyed about the book. He is more personal with his relationship with Jenny. I think Mick explained the early years with the Mac better in this book. He really showed how LSD can destroy lives and almost the band. He opened up about his substance abuse during and well after the Tango era. The story of him waiting for drug dealers in Lindsey's driveway was amazing. But he mentioned and Lindsey has made references in the past that any issues in the studio get crazier on the road. Mick said that Lindsey would not tolerate his and Stevie's antics. That left me confused. Was it her drinking? Klonopin was really showing this early in 1987? Mick writes how Stevie was really never there during Tango but when she got out of rehab she brought 3 songs. If she was out of rehab what antics with Mick is Mick and Lindsey referring to? I really want to know
One thing that Mick did write about that was interesting was the band after 1992 where he and John carried on with touring. He said it was a mistake to do that opening for small acts and playing clubs.
I really liked how he praised Bob Welch and it is true... Bob made it easier for Lindsey and Stevie to join. Bob let Chris sing and they harmonized together. Bob transformed Mac to where a Lindsey and Stevie joining was not a huge deal. It probably could not have happened without Bob's transformation.

I am not done completely reading the book and will go back and re-read some parts I skipped over. What do you guys think? Do you prefer the first book or the new book?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-09-2015 at 07:16 AM..
Old 07-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi,
I also much preferred his first book. Overall I just found it more engaging to read. I am very disappointed the second book didnt focus much more on the period after 1990.

He hardly mentioned the induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That could have taken up a chapter on its own- especially regarding the situation with Bob (Possibly legal issues prohibit him from talking about it). Also, though Mick talked briefly about the 'Time' band it was a very short section. I'd liked to have known more about the relationship issues with Bekka and Dave.
Overall I really wanted to know what went on in his and the other band members lives over the past 25 years. Really everything from this period was condensed into 50 pages or so.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I recall one review where the writer talked about the new book seeming like an extended letter to his older children... the book does spend a lot of time on his relationship with Jenny and how he claims to have struggled with loving her and the family but being caught up in his career and the affair with Stevie and all that... It does sort of seem like this book is more about exploring/explaining/atoning for his family bust-up than a real career recap
Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still have to get his current book to judge which one is better.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I recall one review where the writer talked about the new book seeming like an extended letter to his older children... the book does spend a lot of time on his relationship with Jenny and how he claims to have struggled with loving her and the family but being caught up in his career and the affair with Stevie and all that... It does sort of seem like this book is more about exploring/explaining/atoning for his family bust-up than a real career recap
That explains a lot and seems about right. The first book he dished on everything and everyone including himself. This book is more just about himself. I just wanted to read so many things from his perspective. So I cant help feeling a bit disappointed. I hope Chris or Lindsey write a book someday
Old 07-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I hope Chris or Lindsey write a book someday
Tell me, who wrote the book of love?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Tell me, who wrote the book of love?
Well, Richard Dashut apparently.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I finally finished the book. A nice read but it seemed so brushed over with absolutely no controversy what so ever. No conflict either. But even without that, I would have loved to have read how the group re-grouped after Lindsey's departure. His first book is so much better with intimate details. Mick does not even mention where Rick Vito came from or why he was hired. He just says... something like....Billy played with me in the Zoo and worked with Chris so he was a good fit and Rick was known as a great guitarist. I am paraphrasing of course but that is all that goes into his explanation how 2 new members got to be with the Mac.
Nothing about working on Chris's solo album, Stevie's solo album and what that was like or even appearing in Lindsey's 1981 video. Nothing about his conflict with Stevie in 1991 or why he refused to give her Silver Springs. Nothing about Bob Welch and the lawsuit against him. Hardly anything about Behind the Mask or its tour. Nothing about Stevie and her Klonopin use. Nothing about Lindsey going after Mick about the "piggy in the middle" video. And also some inconsistency. In his first book Mick writes how he hated the short Mirage tour and wanted to stay on the road and just as the tour ended Mirage fell from its #1 position. This new book Mick says he was glad the tour was short so everyone could work on their solo albums.
I don't want to come off like I am knocking the book. There are definitely some things mentioned in this book that were not mentioned in the first book. But I will stick with my original thread title......I like Mick's first book a lot better

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-18-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Old 07-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick didn't talk good about his first book at the meet and greet last year. He said it was written during a period he wasn't good (drugs I think he meant, and emotional stability probably)

But i did enjoyed the book a lot.

What did I ask him at the m&g? Well I asked what ever happened to Harold. He smiled but I could see he talk about it as a long gone past, and somehow he doesn't want to recall anymore. Yes he explained for those who didn't know who or what was Harold, but at the end the answer was simply it doesn't exist anymore

Last edited by Villavic; 07-19-2015 at 10:56 AM..
Old 07-19-2015, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't read the 1st book for a long time but this book is not nearly engaging. Mick does seem to mention the first book with a bit of shame-but regardless of what was going on then or what compelled him to write it, in my opinion it was a much better read. I have to say I was surprised to be so disappointed with the new book.
Ricoh